Snow tires? How about a paddle? - Page 2 - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Off Topic > Open Discussion

Open Discussion Anything non-motorcycle related goes in here.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Snow tires? How about a paddle?

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-17-2018, 06:44 PM   #11
sebwiers
lɐʇuǝɯᴉɹǝdxǝ

CF Pimp
sebwiers's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 01:02 AM
Flip Offs: 21
Flipped Off 36 Times in 19 Posts
sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Fighter of the Month 
Default Re: Snow tires? How about a paddle?

I do know my home made ice tires were really really bad at dealing with more than an inch or two of snow...

I don't think a paddle would work for two reasons. One is that flinging more snow backwards probably isn't a good way to create forward motion. That works with sand because sand is very dense, but will just dig a hole in snow. The other is that the paddles will load up and turn the wheel into a lumpy polygon rather than a paddle wheel; sand isn't sticky like snow is.

Your best bet for snow is to figure out a way to create the biggest possible contact patch (bicycles do this with crazy wide rims - before makers sold such rims, custom builders would weld multiple rims together) with a moderately aggressive tread that sheds stuck material easily (IE, a mud tire) at very low pressure. Obviously a track accomplishes those goals...

Maybe figure out a way to mount an ATV wheel, likely in a custom fork / swingarm? Or hell, just ride a TW200...
sebwiers is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived sebwiers!

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-17-2018, 07:16 PM   #12
Larry02ACR
Fighter
Larry02ACR's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 1 Time in 1 Post
Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Fighter of the Month 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinyribs View Post
Considering those kits are like $5k....I'd just buy a used sled instead.
Yeah, but these kits give you a good reason to put a turbo on the dirt bike. Plus dank whoolies.

I've never ridden in snow, but I'm vaguely active on TT, and most of the northern brethren just run knobbies. Soft compound to get the tallest lugs with the widest spacing.

If you need to be DOT, I believe Motoz tires have a pretty good selection.
Larry02ACR is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived Larry02ACR!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-17-2018, 11:10 PM   #13
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
shinyribs's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 02:02 AM
Flip Offs: 58
Flipped Off 116 Times in 103 Posts
shinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too much
Fighter of the Month 

I got a DOT Michelin AC10 out back right now. Very wide lug spacing and decent height. I'm not sure how it got DOT approval. It's a very stiff carcass, too. Stiff enough I can run at 5psi and not feel sketchy on the road at all. This tire has better lug height/spacing than the Kenda Trakmaster I ran on the KLR. I rode the KLR in bout 4" of snow with good success, but any deeper than that and things stupid in a hurry.

Maybe i'll just try some studs or spikes. Seems the knobs will push the snow out of the way allowing the studs/spikes to grip the frozen ground underneath. Would be handy with slick, snow covered logs, too. Even if I did pick up a paddle (less than $60, so no huge investment)it would still need studs on it.
shinyribs is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-17-2018, 11:19 PM   #14
sebwiers
lɐʇuǝɯᴉɹǝdxǝ

CF Pimp
sebwiers's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 21
Flipped Off 36 Times in 19 Posts
sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Fighter of the Month 

Ah, if you are trying to cut through to the ground under the snow rather than ride in / on top of it, that's a different thing. Yup, for that I'd put my bets on tall widely spaced lugs, stiff tire, and big studs. Might also pick an extra narrow tire.
sebwiers is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-18-2018, 12:39 AM   #15
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
shinyribs's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 02:02 AM
Flip Offs: 58
Flipped Off 116 Times in 103 Posts
shinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too much
Fighter of the Month 

Well, if we get 6" or less I guess cutting through to frozen dirt will be easy enough. If we end up with a foot on the ground I'm not sure.

A big fat ATV tire out back on a one-off SSA would be cool, now that you mention fat tires.
shinyribs is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Off Topic > Open Discussion