Help with Lights! - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Streetfighter Help Needed!

Streetfighter Help Needed! Need help with your 'fighter? Ask for help in here!

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Help with Lights!

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-20-2019, 07:59 PM   #1
jfizzle232
NoObie
Noobie
Local Time: 11:36 AM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
jfizzle232 is a NOOB
Default Help with Lights!

Hi, I'm a little new to the whole streetfighter thing, I don't really know where to start with the electrics on my bike. I've figured out all the mechanical stuff but The electrics seems like a whole other beast.

I'm fixing up a 2005 ZX10r. It was in a crash, and the guy who put it back together before I got it did a really shit job. A lot of the wiring isn't exactly factory. The headlights aren't connected, there was a really dumb looking floodlight on the front that was hooked up to some aftermarket connector, the brake light sometimes works when the lever is pressed but it is not on passively, and none of the turn signals work. My motorcycle repair experience up to this point has not included much electrical work so I don't know where to start.

Is there somewhere I can get like a wiring guide? I can't find any youtube tutorials. How much effort would it be to just get a new wiring harness? I don't wanna screw with it anymore than I have to because the bike starts and runs right now. I know this is kinda vague but I'm not sure where to start!

I want like a circular headlight on the front, how do universal headlight/turn signals wire up? How do universal tailights and signals wire up? Is there a specific connector or loose wires that go into other things?

Thanks in advance! Any help would be great!
jfizzle232 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-20-2019, 09:19 PM   #2
mcantar
Fuck it, let's do it live

CF Pimp
mcantar's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 10:36 AM
Flip Offs: 44
Flipped Off 21 Times in 20 Posts
mcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympus
Default Re: Help with Lights!

http://volksdragon.net/dusk/04-05%20...e%20Manual.pdf

Page 469. Learn how to read it, it has all the info you need.

As for wiring up different lights or whatever... power to power, ground to ground. Simple as that.

Hypermotard 1100S the weight-shavening.
Bandit 1200 cafe/fighter that will never get finished at this rate.
Turbo Busa v2 2017 Buildoff.
Turbo Busa V1.2 2016 Buildoff.
Turbo Busa v1.1
919 Hornet build'n'flip, lotsa electrical diagnostic info in there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poopie View Post
Everything should be turbo'd, and what the fuck is a budget?
mcantar is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-21-2019, 02:43 AM   #3
jfizzle232
NoObie
Noobie
jfizzle232 is a NOOB

Oh wow that has literally everything... I must be searching the wrong stuff because this never popped up in my searches, thank you! For the turn signal, will I have to do anything special? If I dont have the connectors (which I suspect is the case), can I just wire up the correct wires directly by soldering/other means?

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-21-2019, 02:57 PM   #4
XxGRYMMxX
Breaking shit...
CF Pimp
XxGRYMMxX's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 12:36 PM
Flip Offs: 8
Flipped Off 13 Times in 10 Posts
XxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on here

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfizzle232 View Post
Oh wow that has literally everything... I must be searching the wrong stuff because this never popped up in my searches, thank you! For the turn signal, will I have to do anything special? If I dont have the connectors (which I suspect is the case), can I just wire up the correct wires directly by soldering/other means?
Bike wiring is so neat and simple compared to a modern car.... I wish the schematics I dealt with were only a page or two for the whole vehicle.

Direct splicing works but you can buy connectors of MANY different sizes/shapes online. A quick google search should be more than enough to get you going.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcantar View Post
They can ban, outlaw, and restrict whatever they please. I'll keep doing whatever the fuck I'm doing, because I don't really give a shit. The only thing that will change is that I'll be breaking their made up bullshit rules while doing it, and I'm comfortable with that.

My Build http://www.customfighters.com/forums...d.php?t=118649
XxGRYMMxX is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-22-2019, 01:17 AM   #5
Mongoose
GURU

CF Addict
Mongoose's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 09:36 AM
Flipped Off 8 Times in 8 Posts
Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Fighter of the Month 

were doomed when bikes adopt canbus.
Mongoose is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-22-2019, 03:09 AM   #6
jfizzle232
NoObie
Noobie
jfizzle232 is a NOOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxGRYMMxX View Post
Bike wiring is so neat and simple compared to a modern car.... I wish the schematics I dealt with were only a page or two for the whole vehicle.

Direct splicing works but you can buy connectors of MANY different sizes/shapes online. A quick google search should be more than enough to get you going.
After today, I definitely agree on the simple part. Not so much the neat, necessarily! I got the tail light and the integrated signals working after a bit of fiddling (turns out the ground wire was pulled out of the plug, and the main power wire was broken inside the wire's rubber sheath).

I'm sure bikes that have been wired from the factory are nice and neat but whoever put this bike back together before me did an absolutely awful job. Everything is all over the place, random stuff is cut and broken, life is rough.

At least I got the rear working, waiting on my headlight in the mail and looking at turn signals right now. I believe the headlight plug is missing, any tips on how to figure out which wires go to my headlight?
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-22-2019, 12:14 PM   #7
XxGRYMMxX
Breaking shit...
CF Pimp
XxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on here

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfizzle232 View Post
After today, I definitely agree on the simple part. Not so much the neat, necessarily! I got the tail light and the integrated signals working after a bit of fiddling (turns out the ground wire was pulled out of the plug, and the main power wire was broken inside the wire's rubber sheath).

I'm sure bikes that have been wired from the factory are nice and neat but whoever put this bike back together before me did an absolutely awful job. Everything is all over the place, random stuff is cut and broken, life is rough.

At least I got the rear working, waiting on my headlight in the mail and looking at turn signals right now. I believe the headlight plug is missing, any tips on how to figure out which wires go to my headlight?
I hear you about what previous owners can do.... schematics can be stone simple, but a determined hack can really make shit real difficult. Good luck with your wiring, sounds like youre making progress at least.

Quote:
They can ban, outlaw, and restrict whatever they please. I'll keep doing whatever the fuck I'm doing, because I don't really give a shit. The only thing that will change is that I'll be breaking their made up bullshit rules while doing it, and I'm comfortable with that.

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-22-2019, 09:46 PM   #8
mcantar
Fuck it, let's do it live

CF Pimp
mcantar's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 10:36 AM
Flip Offs: 44
Flipped Off 21 Times in 20 Posts
mcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympus

If it's that bad you might be better off gutting it all and starting over with an unmolested harness or from scratch.

Hypermotard 1100S the weight-shavening.
Bandit 1200 cafe/fighter that will never get finished at this rate.
Turbo Busa v2 2017 Buildoff.
Turbo Busa V1.2 2016 Buildoff.
Turbo Busa v1.1
919 Hornet build'n'flip, lotsa electrical diagnostic info in there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poopie View Post
Everything should be turbo'd, and what the fuck is a budget?
mcantar is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived mcantar!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-23-2019, 02:38 PM   #9
XxGRYMMxX
Breaking shit...
CF Pimp

Quote:

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-25-2019, 10:07 AM   #10
646 Sycamore
81XV750
Noobie
646 Sycamore is a NOOB

When I got into the headlight shell on my '81 Honda CB750K I found the previous owner installed a new headlight connector by simply stripping the wires, twisting them together, and wrapping electrical tape over the connection.

I mentioned this to a friend with a similar CB750 and he said he found exactly the same thing on his bike, but the previous owner used Band-Aids rather than electrical tape.

I reconnected the wires with the amazing Heat Shrink Solder Sleeve Crimpless Butt Connectors by Electriduct. Highly recommended!
646 Sycamore is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Streetfighter Help Needed!