Putting my VFR back together - Page 2 - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > General Streetfighter Discussion

General Streetfighter Discussion Discussions about streetfighter riding.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Putting my VFR back together

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-31-2019, 10:40 PM   #11
bonehead
idiot
Fighter
bonehead's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 03:24 PM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 1 Time in 1 Post
bonehead has a brilliant futurebonehead has a brilliant futurebonehead has a brilliant futurebonehead has a brilliant futurebonehead has a brilliant futurebonehead has a brilliant futurebonehead has a brilliant futurebonehead has a brilliant futurebonehead has a brilliant futurebonehead has a brilliant futurebonehead has a brilliant future
Fighter of the Month 
Default Re: Putting my VFR back together

Hi,
Soft spot for a vfr or 2 myself,

What seat are thinking of using?

20mm sorry 3/4" pipe is easiest to bend, even possible with a lump of 4 x 2.

Good luck with your build.
bonehead is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-01-2019, 12:28 PM   #12
ilcylic
Armourer
Noobie
Local Time: 02:24 PM
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
ilcylic is a NOOB

The curved piece of sheet on top is the seat pan. I'm going to cover it in foam and probably leather.

I've got this mocked up in 1" diameter / 1/8" wall tubing. I have a following die tubing bender with dies in 1", 1.5" and 1.75", so, in order to avoid having to buy another die, I'm going 1". I had originally thought of using .75", and just getting another die, so I could make sharper bends, but I think 1" will be fine, and plus, this thing has to hold my fat ass up, so bigger is probably better anyway.

--Ogre

"I have sworn upon the altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of Man." -- Thomas Jefferson
ilcylic is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-01-2019, 12:32 PM   #13
ilcylic
Armourer
Noobie
ilcylic is a NOOB

I was looking at LED tractor trailer lights, with the thought of stuffing a 6" oval element in there, maybe taking it apart and splitting the circuit so I could have left and right turn on that as well, but then I saw that Grote is now making these dual intensity mini ovals. 7 on the back, the left 3 and right 3 will be tri purpose brake / turn / tail, with the ones on the side being turn / tail, and the one in the middle being brake / tail.

You can use a SPDT 12V relay to form an XOR logic gate, so that the lights blink "on" when the brake is off and the turn signal is one, and the lights blink "off" when the brake is on and the turn signal is on. So, a couple of waterproof relays and holders, and voila, lots of turn signalling.

Though, at $20 a pop best price I've found, that's a fair bit of cash for lights back there. :-/

--Ogre

"I have sworn upon the altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of Man." -- Thomas Jefferson
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-01-2019, 08:43 PM   #14
ilcylic
Armourer
Noobie
ilcylic is a NOOB

Hrm. Went down to the shop and looked at the actual bike.

Battery box is too far forward, and possibly too low. In the spot I've got it in there, it'll interfere with the shock and the exhaust, and probably be too close to the exhaust for the health of the battery.

Also, I was planning on eventually making my own header for the thing, but now I might not have a choice. I can't seem to find the exhaust for this thing anywhere. I mean, I know it's gotta be there somewhere, but a lot of things got moved somewhat haphazardly during the divorce, so... I'm not quite sure where they ended up. :-/

I wonder how a 4:2 scrambler setup would look on a VFR...

--Ogre

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-03-2019, 10:32 PM   #15
ilcylic
Armourer
Noobie
ilcylic is a NOOB

Yay! I found my exhaust!

Of course, I found it *after* I had taken a whole bunch of measurements for a custom setup.

Now, the question is, is it worth an extra $200 in materials to make it out of stainless?

Yeah, probably.

--Ogre

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-03-2019, 11:04 PM   #16
crazyjon's
GURU
Fighterer
crazyjon's's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 01:24 PM
Flip Offs: 17
Flipped Off 5 Times in 4 Posts
crazyjon's has a brilliant futurecrazyjon's has a brilliant futurecrazyjon's has a brilliant futurecrazyjon's has a brilliant futurecrazyjon's has a brilliant futurecrazyjon's has a brilliant futurecrazyjon's has a brilliant futurecrazyjon's has a brilliant futurecrazyjon's has a brilliant futurecrazyjon's has a brilliant futurecrazyjon's has a brilliant future

Absolutely! Even stainless will rust under those conditions, mild steel will look horrible in one season.

"Practice till the hot brass burns the cheeks of your ass" F. Bob Chow
crazyjon's is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-04-2019, 06:12 AM   #17
ilcylic
Armourer
Noobie
ilcylic is a NOOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyjon's View Post
Absolutely! Even stainless will rust under those conditions, mild steel will look horrible in one season.
Well, I mean, I'd paint it. And I do live in a desert. And I do have a mad max / post-apocalyptic aesthetic going.

But I also really like stainless.

I'm gonna try and do a photochop of this thing with a high pipe. We'll see how it looks. Worst case, it'd probably actually be easier and cheaper to do it in the stock location.

--Ogre

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > General Streetfighter Discussion