2009 Buell XB12Scg custom II - Page 5 - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes

Member Project Bikes Project progress threads of members streetfighters.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > 2009 Buell XB12Scg custom II

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-30-2020, 03:34 AM   #41
TPEHAK
Fighter
Local Time: 04:00 AM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 1 Time in 1 Post
TPEHAK has much to be proud ofTPEHAK has much to be proud ofTPEHAK has much to be proud ofTPEHAK has much to be proud ofTPEHAK has much to be proud ofTPEHAK has much to be proud ofTPEHAK has much to be proud ofTPEHAK has much to be proud ofTPEHAK has much to be proud ofTPEHAK has much to be proud ofTPEHAK has much to be proud of
Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month 
Default Re: 2009 Buell XB12Scg custom II

I relocated the horn behind the oil radiator.

The horn is attached to the CNC machined bracket

And the horn with the bracket are mounted on the highway foot peg bracket

And the horn assembly is covered with 3D printed ABS plastic shroud

I decided to make the whole motorcycle in black color. Originally my motorcycle had blue transparent airbox cover. My options were to buy OEM glossy black airbox cover or to buy aftermarket carbon fiber airbox cover. I decided to buy aftermarket carbon fiber airbox cover. I found one on MDI Carbon website with air ducts https://mdicarbonfiber.com/products/...3fc6ec12&_ss=r

I choose Twill carbon fiber fabric style and matte finish. External surface finish of this aftermarket airbox cover is 10 out of 10, but fitment is 2 out of 10. It was not properly trimmed, the mounting holes were slightly off, it also was not symmetrical! Well, after a lot of post processing, trimming and sanding the airbox edges and the holes I make it fits OK.

I enlarged and shifted the front mounting holes to be centered properly

I also had to shift the rear mounting holes

I used Sharpie permanent marker to mark the edges for trimming and erased it with alcohol. As soon as I touched the airbox with alcohol I found alcohol erased also the matte finish on the airbox exposing the original glossy finish. So basically they do glossy finish airboxes and just spray it with matte clearcoat. So did I. After I finished trimming and fitting the airbox I stripped whole airbox matte finish with acetone a covered it with fresh matte clearcoat spray

For the enlarged front mounting holes I 3D printed inserts out of PETG plastic and pressed aluminum spacer inside the inserts

The rear mounting screws required additional spacers to maintain proper fit in the rear area of the airbox. So the aftermarket Buell XB airbox cover MDI carbon sells does not fit out of the box, you need to do some work to make it fits.

For the air inlets I designed and 3D printed snap-in grills out of PETG plastic. This aftermarket MDI Carbon airbox cover is so bad that even the inlet holes are not symmetrical! So I designed left and right grills individually.

TPEHAK is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived TPEHAK!

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-30-2020, 05:03 AM   #42
Auser6guy
Fighter
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
Auser6guy is a name known to allAuser6guy is a name known to allAuser6guy is a name known to allAuser6guy is a name known to allAuser6guy is a name known to allAuser6guy is a name known to allAuser6guy is a name known to allAuser6guy is a name known to allAuser6guy is a name known to allAuser6guy is a name known to allAuser6guy is a name known to all
Fighter of the Month 

this thing is going to be unreal. Credit to you.
Auser6guy is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived Auser6guy!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-30-2020, 11:06 AM   #43
XxGRYMMxX
Breaking shit...
CF Pimp
XxGRYMMxX's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 05:00 AM
Flip Offs: 8
Flipped Off 13 Times in 10 Posts
XxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on here

bummer that your carbon stuff wasnt up to spec but def looks like you sorted it out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcantar View Post
They can ban, outlaw, and restrict whatever they please. I'll keep doing whatever the fuck I'm doing, because I don't really give a shit. The only thing that will change is that I'll be breaking their made up bullshit rules while doing it, and I'm comfortable with that.

My Build http://www.customfighters.com/forums...d.php?t=118649
XxGRYMMxX is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived XxGRYMMxX!

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-31-2020, 02:15 AM   #44
TPEHAK
Fighter
TPEHAK has much to be proud ofTPEHAK has much to be proud ofTPEHAK has much to be proud ofTPEHAK has much to be proud ofTPEHAK has much to be proud ofTPEHAK has much to be proud ofTPEHAK has much to be proud ofTPEHAK has much to be proud ofTPEHAK has much to be proud ofTPEHAK has much to be proud ofTPEHAK has much to be proud of

Thanks!

Then I mounted the rear brake fluid reservoir to the new spot on the existing bracket on the frame using the mounting adapters

Then I trimmed the rear brake fluid reservoir tube to shorter lengths to fit the new location of the reservoir and filled the reservoir with brake fluid

The front portion of the seat frame is made of 17-4 PH Stainless Steel mounted on the upper portion of the rear shock absorber

The rear shock absorber remote gas reservoir is sandwiched between the seat frame parts

Then I mounted the Scorpio alarm system components in to the seat frame.

The piezo buzzer inside my Scorpio alarm sistem has been broken after a few years of use due to vibration. So I extracted the broken buzzer from the alarm system and extended the buzzer wires outside the alarm unit to attach new buzzer remotely. I bought new buzzers here https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The new buzzer is attached to the 3D printed ABS plastic tray with 3M VHB double sided tape, the tray with buzzer is mounted on the seat frame. I soldered small 2 pins plug to the buzzer and to the extended buzzer wires on the alarm unit to be able to disconnect it in case if I will need to replace it in case it will became bad and if I will need to replace it.

The Scorpio alarm units include ignition disable relay, motion sensor, tilt and shock sensor. I had to trim the alarm system wires and pack them to fit into the tail frame

I also routed the tail light wires to the tail light to seat frame interface pads

Trimmed the wires and soldered them to the pads

Packed all the wires in the tail

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-31-2020, 02:49 AM   #45
TPEHAK
Fighter

In this post I will show you how you can combine foldable side bar mirrors with side bar turn signals.

You will need:

- 2x Rizoma Sguardo Bar End Turn Signal https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...nd-turn-signal
- 1x CRG Lane Splitter Right Bar End Mirror HSLS-200-R https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
- 1x CRG Lane Splitter Left Bar End Mirror HSLS-200-L https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
- 2x CRG Internal Bar End Mirror Adapter https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You just will need to mill or turn the base hole in the CRG Internal Bar End Mirror Adapter spool to match the Rizoma Sguardo Bar End Turn Signal post diameter and depth. After this it is just plug and play. I additionally removed the CRG Internal Bar End Mirror Adapter spool flanges to slip the adapter closer to the handle grip, bit this is totally optional, it should work with the flanges, you just need to enlarge the hole pocket.

I used milling machine as lathe for this work. Here is the trick

Here is original CRG Internal Bar End Mirror Adapter spool vs modified

I put rubber washers between the spool and the turn signal for protection from scratches if the parts will rub each other, but this is just me, it is unnecessary option

Then just assemble the turn signal mirror combo with screw fastener from Rizoma kit and attach it to the bar following the standard instructions from Rizoma manual. For tightening the fastener with wires channel I modified the socket

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-01-2020, 03:40 PM   #46
TPEHAK
Fighter

The next step was the most boring and time consuming stage and it took me a few months. I had to design and build new wiring harness. Prior and during this stage I drawn a bunch of different wiring layups. Here are some of them to give you an idea:

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-01-2020, 08:31 PM   #47
TPEHAK
Fighter

On Buell XB the top portion of the engine is shifted to the right side so the rear cylinder and it is pretty close to the front right portion of the seat. That area gets pretty hot so I had to protect the seat on that side from excessive heat.

I bought Thermo-Tec Adhesive Backed Aluminized Heat Barrier https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and cut a patch for the right front portion of the seat and attached it inside the seat. This is basically about 1 mm thick fiber glass fabric with adhered aluminum foil on one side and layer of adhesive on another side. So this barrier provides convectional heat insulation from hot air and infrared heat barrier from IR radiation from hot engine and frame parts in that area.

I also protected the bottom face of the airbox base from engine heat. Mostly because of I mount the lithium battery in the airbox and I need to keep that place as cool as possible.

I used same technique to cut the insulation patches as for the seat. I put masking tape on the bottom of the airbox base, marked cutting lines on the tape, removed the tape from the airbox base and put it on the sheet of insulation, then I cut the insulation patches and attached them to the bottom of the airbox.

Then I had to integrate the fuel pressure gauge into the wire harness. The Dino Tune fuel pressure gauge https://www.dynotunenitrous.com/stor...?idproduct=130 goes with a plug with soldered resistors and diodes on the opposite side of the plug. I had to eliminate this stock plug and relocate those components inside the wiring loom

So I detached those components from the plug and soldered them on the prototyping board https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

After wrapping it with heat shrink tube I can put it together with another wires in the main harness

On the fuel pressure cable I attached 4 Way Aptiv [Delphi] Metri-Pack 150.2 Pull-to-Seat Female Connector Kit 12162188 https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...62188&_sacat=0

On the main harness wires for fuel pressure gauge I attached Namz Delphi Female Throttle Position Sensor Connector NMD-410017 Harley Davidson https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...idson&_sacat=0

It looks like the Dino Tune fuel pressure sensor cable for some reason does not use appropriate automotive cross-linked polyethylene insulation wires, the wires on the gauge marked as PVC wires up to 80C. So I decided not to take a chance and see if those wires will survive in the engine compartment and bought Bentley Harris Convoshield Wire Loom to protect those original PVC wires from excessive heat https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Unfortunately there is not way to replace those wires due to they go in the sensor unit and potted with epoxy. So I just put the sensor cable wires in the heat reflective loom

The fuel pressure display is attached to the special bracket on the top tree clamp with VHB double sided tape

I installed the shorter Buell Firebolt clutch cable because of I use Buell Firebolt top tree bracket and found that the clutch cable goes pretty snug around the top edge of the LSL Urban Headlight. To release that tightness I had 2 options: I need to install slightly longer clutch cable or I need to shift the clutch lever bracket toward the right side of the motorcycle. I decided to shift the clutch bracket. In order to do so I milled some material off of the clutch lever bracket to be able to shift it and to remove the interference with the Motogadget Motoscope cluster.

Then I just blackened the exposed machined aluminum surfaces with black Sharpie permanent marker

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-01-2020, 10:35 PM   #48
Raiden
Noobie
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
Raiden is a name known to allRaiden is a name known to allRaiden is a name known to allRaiden is a name known to allRaiden is a name known to allRaiden is a name known to allRaiden is a name known to allRaiden is a name known to allRaiden is a name known to allRaiden is a name known to allRaiden is a name known to all

People like you make me not even want to try and build a 'fighter...hahaha.

This is bada$$ work bro! Makes me wish I had the knowledge and time to be this meticulous!

If you can't fight it, FOOK IT!
Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived Raiden!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-01-2020, 11:17 PM   #49
TPEHAK
Fighter

Thanks!

I started composing the wire harness from the front of motorcycle.

I also bought second 2009 Buell XB12Scg wiring harness to use wires form two harnesses to build one harness because of many wires required extension and I wanted to match the wires color codes to the original wiring diagram.

For additional wires in the main harness I bought different colors and different gauges thin wall insulation TXL wires here https://4rcustomswire.com

Specific thicker gauges wires with medium wall insulation GXL and thick wall insulation SXL I bought on Ebay.

First of all I routed the turn signals wires, gauge wires and cluster wires through the left and right controls housings so all the wires from left and right side goes together.

To mark the wires I used these stickers https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

To splice more than 2 wires together I used the followed technique:

Tinned the wires tips, soldered on one wire a copper string. For all my soldering work I used this rosin flux https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and this 60/40 leaded rosin core 1.6 mm diameter soldering wire https://www.homedepot.com/p/The-Harr...2837/309077354

Wrapped the copper string around the joint

Soldered the joint

Chopped off sharp corners from the joint with clippers

Preprated 3:1 heat shrink tube with heat glue liner

Cleaned the joint with alcohol and applied some high temperature hot glue to the joint https://www.amazon.com/Yellow-Melt-G...0613470&sr=8-1

And applied the heat shrink tube

So wire by wire I traced them the way I wanted. The trick here is trace each turn of the wire individually, not like whole loom. Another trick is to hold the compiled wires with some vinyl tape during the work

Once one section of the wiring harness is compiled you can wrap it with tape before working on next section. I used Tesa 51026 tape for wrapping the wires looms https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The flexing and rubbing portions of the wires looms and cables I additionally wrapped with different sizes of Black Polyethylene Spiral Wrap https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Black+Pol...f=nb_sb_noss_2

This user High Fived TPEHAK!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-02-2020, 01:15 AM   #50
TPEHAK
Fighter

As you can see the hand control wiring harness does not have any connectors except the headlight. I decided to build the front harness with no connectors to save space under the headlight. and to make it looks clean. Another reason for this is to prevent moisture and water getting to the wires.

But in order to be able to remove the wire harness or to perform troubleshooting if it will be necessary I had to attach connector to the harness to joint front portion of the electrical harness with the rest of the harness. I also would not be able even to build the harness without splitting front and rear portions.

So I bought TE Connectivity/AMP 26 Position connector plug https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...rrencycode=USD and receptacle https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...rrencycode=USD

I had to modify the plug to make it slim and to to attach it to the front portion of the harness. So I designed plug shroud to cover the soldered potion of the wires on the plug. The shroud was going to be 3D printed part out of polycarbonate plastic

In order to attach the polycarbonate plastic shroud to the plug I had to machine the plug perimeter to reduce the plug section size. So I designed special fixture for the plug to mount the plug on the rotary table milling machine properly

Then I 3D printed the jig parts out of PLA plastic and machined the plug

Then I 3D printed the plug shroud

Here is how the plug and the receptacle connect together

Then I started trimming and soldering the front harness wires to the plug. The trick here is you have trim each next wire holding the plug in the place where it should be and maintain necessary wire slack and then solder this wire to the plug before trimming and soldering next wire. And of course do not forget to slip the shroud on the harness first.

After I soldered all the wires to the plug I cleaned the soldering joints with alcohol and glued the shroud to the plug with 5 min epoxy.

Then I potted the shroud cavity with flexible potting epoxy resin MG Chemicals 832FX https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...rrencycode=USD

Then I had to build the rear portion of the harness. So I took the new good 2009 Buell XB12Scg wiring harness

And teared it completely apart

I started composing the rear harness from the front portion of the rear harness from the receptacle which joints with the front harness plug. The receptacle has seals for the wires, so there is no need for additional sealing. Also this plug has bigger gauge wires holes on the corners, so I used those corner holes for wiring higher amperage units like headlight or key switch

After crimping and connecting all the necessary wires to the receptacle I moved toward the end of the harness composing it the necessary way. And again, the secret of composing snug accurate wiring loom is to route each wire individually up to next turn and work the harness section by section

For the stater wire I used 4 AWG gauge SGX wire https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-AWG-SGX-R...53.m2749.l2649

For starter wire and for battery wires I used different sizes terminals https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

To cover the crimped portions of the heavy gauge wires I used thick heat shrink tubes https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

To crimp the terminal on the heavy gauge wires I used this crimper https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The battery portion of the starter wire is crimped together with motorcycle electric power source wires and covered with thick heat shrink tube. The power source wires must be correct gauge wires with thick SXL wire insulation. Those wires go the the fuse block. After the fuse you can use thin wall insulation TXL wires, but between the battery and the fuse you must put thick SXL wire and also wrap it with a lot of tape maybe. Those wires do not have any fuse protection so it is extremely important thing.

This user High Fived TPEHAK!

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes