RZV500 Two-Stroke Roller - Page 10 - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes

Member Project Bikes Project progress threads of members streetfighters.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > RZV500 Two-Stroke Roller

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-14-2015, 10:11 AM   #91
Pariah
Stupid motherfucker
Pariah's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 04:44 PM
Flip Offs: 504
Flipped Off 402 Times in 164 Posts
Pariah is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Pariah is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Pariah is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Pariah is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Pariah is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Pariah is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Pariah is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Pariah is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Pariah is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Pariah is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Pariah is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Default Re: RZV500 Two-Stroke Roller

I should have said earlier mate, those aren't rivets. They're shear bolts. Whack a slot in the end with a dremel, and hammer them out with an impact driver. Judging by the white colouring around the heads, there's been a heck of a lot of galvanic corrosion happening over the years.

It's not so bad as long as you can keep the fear from your mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoker View Post
Looks good, but I would prefer titanium nipples.
Street Triple
Supercharged Street Triple
Pale Horse XJ750
Pariah is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived Pariah!

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-14-2015, 12:34 PM   #92
CK 187
CAPTAIN AWESOMEŽ

CK 187's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 11:44 PM
Flip Offs: 631
Flipped Off 470 Times in 171 Posts
CK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too much
Default Medal Supporter of the Streetfighter Build for Charity Supporter of the Streetfighter Build for Charity 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoker View Post
There's a few aftermarket adjustable triples I'm looking at. The problem is fitting them to the RZV500 frame using modern (R6) forks. So, I have to work it out.

Also looking at full custom adjustable triples. Probably the best way to go - but even more complicated to design properly.

That's exactly how my Kosman's were. Lobed top and bottom adjustments
CK 187 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-19-2015, 02:41 PM   #93
Smoker
BLACK BELT

Smoker's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 08:44 PM
Flip Offs: 34
Flipped Off 13 Times in 12 Posts
Smoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on here

Cleaned out the head tube, pressed in the new races and fit the tapered roller bearings.

The upper bearing fits rightly.

The bottom bearing collar protrudes out to act as a spacer.

The problem is that the R6 lower triple already has the same thing.

I'd like the gap between the head tube and lower triple to be between 2mm and 3mm. I think it will be just over 4.5mm as is, so the step on the lower triple (or part of it) will have to be machined off.

Sucks if I buy nice aftermarket triples and have to machine them, but it can be done.
Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived Smoker!

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-20-2015, 04:41 AM   #94
Smoker
BLACK BELT

Smoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on here

Removed the shear bolts. Need to get correct hardware.

Still not sure if this steering lock will work with the new triples.

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-23-2015, 02:58 PM   #95
Smoker
BLACK BELT

I finally got in touch with the dude that cut these custom triples.

No surprised he's backed up with orders. Says he wouldn't be able to start until around July.

It'll take me some time to figure out what I want on the triples (mounts for steering brace, headlight, gauges, or flyscreen?), so maybe it will work out.

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-25-2015, 07:07 PM   #96
Smoker
BLACK BELT

Took a quick look and sit on the RZ500 to check out the OEM footpegs. I want to move the new footpegs forward on the RZV roller between 1/2" and 1".

I've been riding a supermoto bike lately - now the RZ500 is extremely uncomfortable. So, I'd like to raise the seat height and move the seat about 1/2" forward.

I'd also like to raise the tail and make more room for custom pipes - so I'm afraid the RZV aluminum subframe needs to get the chop.

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-21-2015, 05:22 PM   #97
Smoker
BLACK BELT

Finally got the nuts and bearing cap. Opened up the I.D. to fit the R6 stem (looks oval in the pic, but it's round) and pressed on the lower bearing.

Finally got to try it on and check the gap.

Now, I can figure out how to close the gap and move the stops. Also need to get a temporary upper triple.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-29-2015, 01:39 AM   #98
Smoker
BLACK BELT

Got a little downtime at work, so I'm thinking about the custom triples.

If you look at the photo of the sample custom triples, notice how the bolts squeeze the upper triple together to clamp the fork tubes and steering stem. It's going to be interesting to design the risers, which will have to be removed to unclamp the triple. I haven't seen these type of triples used with handlebars, only clip-ons.

I sat on the (complete) RZ500 and took an Ohlins steering damper and eyeballed it on the side of the bike. There's really not much room for it on the side - feels too close to my knee.

Instead of a side mount, I think I'm going to try a top mount (Ducati style). The plan is for a custom fuel tank/monocoque anyway, so why not make the tank fit around the steering damper?

Will try to design the damper so it can be removed, then the triples could be used with a standard RZ500 fuel tank if necessary.

This is the type of design I'm going for:

Just hope the dude that cuts the custom triples is down with my modifications.

Still need to think about headlight and gauge mounting. (Of course I have no idea what headlight or gauges to use, yet.)

I have a set of very nice R6 forks, and have decided to black them out. The outer tubes will be stripped and re-anodized black, and the inner tubes will get black DLC coating. The axle clamps are already black. Not sure what other mods I want for the forks, except some trick preload adjusters. Maybe upgraded internals.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 06-30-2015, 01:08 AM   #99
Smoker
BLACK BELT

Unfortunately, THESE ARE NOT FOR MY BIKE.

Two people did me favors - and asked for titanium parts in return. I told the machine shop to make their parts before mine, so here they are. Two tianium swingarm pivot bolts and one titanium rear axle. Exact copies of the OEM RZ500 parts.

Now the bad news.

I designed a custom head for my titanium swingarm pivot bolt. When I picked the parts up - the machinist fucked up (again) and put an OEM style head on my pivot bolt!

I'm out about $120 for the raw titanium, $80 for the gundrilling, and $150 for the machining. And it's not what I ordered.

So, I'm going to have the shop finish my pivot bolt into another OEM copy. I'm going to sell it for exactly what I paid (no more, no less) plus shipping.

Then I'll have to start all over on my custom pivot bolt.

You guys know I don't sell parts, I just make them for my own bikes. If anyone out there is interested in buying the extra titanium pivot bolt - you better speak up fast!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-14-2015, 11:58 PM   #100
Smoker
BLACK BELT

Titanium axles and swingarm pivot bolt.

Didn't want to send out the front axle for broaching, so I designed a different head. The hex will protrude from the side of the axle clamp. Same as on my Aprilia. Thinking about making a matching titanium spindle bolt. Also may cut the hex to look like the fancy nuts. Not sure, yet.

Was going to do a custom head on the swingarm pivot bolt, but the other bolts have OEM style heads, so it matches better without the custom head.

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes