Zweihammer’s ‘82 GS1100E “PreSkool” - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > CF Streetfighter Forum Contests > Streetfighter Buildoff > 2019 Winter Build-off > 2019 Winter Build-off Build Threads

2019 Winter Build-off Build Threads Only post here if you are the builder! Comments in the Discussion threads please.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Zweihammer’s ‘82 GS1100E “PreSkool”

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-18-2018, 12:49 PM   #1
Zweihammer
Misfit

Fighterer
Zweihammer's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 01:47 PM
Flip Offs: 1
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
Zweihammer is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Zweihammer is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Zweihammer is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Zweihammer is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Zweihammer is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Zweihammer is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Zweihammer is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Zweihammer is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Zweihammer is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Zweihammer is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Zweihammer is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Default Zweihammer’s ‘82 GS1100E “PreSkool”

Hola, mi amigas!
I started this build with low expectations and a naive timeline back in ‘09. Imagine a well used, poorly stored, but running, 80k mile bike someone was willing to part with for $200 and you know what I was looking at when this began. I didn’t take any pics of it before I tore it down, which is probably fine, as very little remains at this point.

Here is the thread up to this point; https://www.customfighters.com/forum...d.php?t=136298

I was inspired by sites like this and some other streetfighter and cafe stuff, anything modded that wasn’t a chopper. Wasn’t sure what to classify the build, as it was too old, too fat, too slow for a streetfighter and then there was the bike to consider.

A few times, over the years, I would give it some attention and post up online to get some input and motivation. But life had other priorities. Now he’s grown and off to college.

I don’t normally give a vehicle a moniker before it’s finished. It reminds me of a roommate I once had who tried give himself a nickname, no one used it and it didn’t stick no matter how many times he tried. Seemed a bit sad. I have been referring to it lately as my GS1127, but now I have some ‘Busa pistons and a B12 block on the way and it won’t be 1127 when it gets lit off. I have referred to it as “Nothings left” recently, since I swapped out the aircooled for the oil boiler almost nothing remains of the bike I started with, but that’s more of a statement of fact and sounds like surrender. I had initially described the project in ‘09 “as not old school, not new school, more simple, like pre school” since nothing I am doing hasn’t been done before and this is a learning experience for me. So I am going back to calling it “PreSkool” for this, cuz I know it probably won’t stick.

Here’s my picture. For a moment I thought about buying a newspaper, then realized nobody really sells them any more.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9AA22D6D-E33A-4A80-8AE0-9DC3979F78F2.jpeg
Views:	31
Size:	564.8 KB
ID:	103024   Click image for larger version

Name:	EB560A5D-D2D5-4481-A4AE-65D48272FACE.jpeg
Views:	32
Size:	795.8 KB
ID:	103026  

2019 Winter Build Off Bike

2019 Winter Build Off Chit Chat

Bones heal, chicks dig scars, pain is temporary, glory is forever. E. Knievel
Zweihammer is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-20-2018, 12:44 AM   #2
Zweihammer
Misfit

Fighterer
Zweihammer is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Zweihammer is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Zweihammer is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Zweihammer is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Zweihammer is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Zweihammer is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Zweihammer is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Zweihammer is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Zweihammer is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Zweihammer is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Zweihammer is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Default Re: Zweihammer’s ‘82 GS1100E “PreSkool”

I’m not a machinist, I don’t even play one on TV. But with my trusty Barbi’s Dream Lathe I can make believe.

I cut a counterbore in my lasered flanges to help me locate and clock my fittings. I am settled on locating the turbo in the conventional low position, I have the housing centered, which puts the inlet off center. I am as tucked as I think I can be and still have a straight shot in on the cold side and out on the hot. I am thinking of making a under belly muffler housing similar in shape to a lower fairing, with two downward facing outlets.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	3B2142C8-95AF-470E-AC01-15582510BAAF.jpeg
Views:	30
Size:	742.8 KB
ID:	103050   Click image for larger version

Name:	154D3842-5262-4BB2-B384-D5E2F3118E40.jpeg
Size:	766.3 KB
ID:	103052   Click image for larger version

Name:	677469C4-93A5-4836-8B06-1100FE368ECB.jpeg
Size:	652.3 KB
ID:	103054   Click image for larger version

Name:	5AE42CC9-F7A8-449F-8FDE-D53CC8FA509E.jpeg
Size:	717.1 KB
ID:	103056   Click image for larger version

Name:	1C107FFC-A258-4BFE-A156-A8182749099A.jpeg
Size:	635.2 KB
ID:	103058  

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-22-2018, 12:06 AM   #3
Zweihammer
Misfit

Fighterer

Another day, another pittance of progress.

I had been trying to get some collars machined up, as my last trick of welding one size up tube slipped over the end wasn’t going to work up in the oil boiler head, like it did in the air cooled. It was taking a long time and I still had no commitment from my usual suspects.

So I got creative with parts I had access to, basically sanitary plumbing fittings. I welded a short ferrule to a long ferrule and turned down the flange face to just slip into the exhaust port, centering it into the port and providing the largest surface to the exhaust gasket.

Got to do family stuff for the next couple days. In-laws, gotta love’em, no rest for the wicked.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2BE8A079-238C-4DE8-85FB-63349C00F27C.jpeg
Size:	387.9 KB
ID:	103082   Click image for larger version

Name:	DB53AB89-8D51-4FE1-A1F9-D384FE1E83D7.jpeg
Size:	394.6 KB
ID:	103084   Click image for larger version

Name:	42B09FED-CB77-4ED1-B0A7-35BAA7FED7E9.jpeg
Size:	668.4 KB
ID:	103086  

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-23-2018, 11:26 PM   #4
Zweihammer
Misfit

Fighterer

I got back from the in laws to find a couple packages waiting. Even though they are pure weapons grade chineseum, they do bear a passing resemblance to the real thing. But, what do I know, I have only ever seen them in pictures. Though, I do think they would do a better job of centering their logo.

Out to the shop to continue the fight.

I may have to slow my roll till I get an oil cooler to make sure I am leaving enough room, or not.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	B1E3260E-D746-4C04-B195-27BC51D6A0FF.jpeg
Views:	34
Size:	702.5 KB
ID:	103100   Click image for larger version

Name:	78A850C5-0EDF-47D6-AAD5-87B6C918F159.jpeg
Views:	33
Size:	443.1 KB
ID:	103102   Click image for larger version

Name:	F03A0497-A362-42E7-9957-7D8EB6B1D94E.jpeg
Size:	449.8 KB
ID:	103104   Click image for larger version

Name:	546C56F3-BD70-4E20-8CF8-126FD94A72DA.jpeg
Views:	35
Size:	447.1 KB
ID:	103106   Click image for larger version

Name:	EA879DE4-2752-4A8E-8B74-D398503B0ED1.jpeg
Views:	34
Size:	673.1 KB
ID:	103108  

These people High Fived Zweihammer!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-24-2018, 01:27 AM   #5
Zweihammer
Misfit

Fighterer

Whoops, just realized I have the wastegate backwards.

Told you I didn’t know what I was doing.

This user High Fived Zweihammer!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-25-2018, 12:14 AM   #6
Zweihammer
Misfit

Fighterer

Well, that looks more like the pretty picture.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1705B3AD-9B36-4D84-A426-0346B9CDCAE2.jpeg
Size:	690.3 KB
ID:	103142   Click image for larger version

Name:	FE5ABAF9-B89B-4540-BB2C-D52CAC7FD2BA.jpeg
Size:	746.0 KB
ID:	103144   Click image for larger version

Name:	EA6C0103-94F6-4415-B186-902464B16309.jpeg
Size:	735.3 KB
ID:	103146  

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-16-2018, 11:17 AM   #7
Zweihammer
Misfit

Fighterer

Not dead, yet.

I fucked up my lower back a couple weeks ago and, combined with a big push at work with OT, has made it easy for me to make excuses like I am waiting for parts. The kind of conditions that would sideline this build for six months, typically.

My oil cooler showed up and my back has returned to old man fitness.

Time to hobble my ass back in to the shop.

On a side note. I have a set of Gen 1 ‘Busa pistons winding their way to me to go with the B12 barrels I have just received. The machine shop I used to trust to do my work closed up about five years ago when the dude retired, now I don’t know anyone other than industrial shops who only do production work for automotive. I am thinking of boxing the whole mess up and sending it off to some more sympathetic to motorcycle work. Any recommendations?

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-28-2018, 12:15 AM   #8
Zweihammer
Misfit

Fighterer

Well, fuck me.

I got back in the shop today to get back on the horse, had some parts show up and a couple days of nothing planned.
It has been hanging over my head since my oil cooler showed up that I had put my turbo up too high and tight. Now that I have the fittings it’s worse than I thought. Low enough to turn the forks and it is just above the exhaust ports.

Not the end of the world, by any means, but back to the beginning as far as routing my tubes, as I had expected some room to be able to go up, before turning down into the merge. Looks like I need to drop the turbo by about 50mm. You know, a skosh.

I will pick this up again, tomorrow. Too annoyed with myself at the moment.

Finally got my ‘Busa pistons to go with my B12 barrels. So that’s something.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	168A79DD-BE19-4CB4-8C91-E667F6E618B9.jpeg
Views:	25
Size:	741.2 KB
ID:	103406   Click image for larger version

Name:	A8F027D1-BAB4-4089-AEF6-448892DE08E1.jpeg
Views:	24
Size:	649.5 KB
ID:	103408   Click image for larger version

Name:	D6EE9262-E308-49D6-9AC1-CBF0D2AB6C7F.jpeg
Size:	667.0 KB
ID:	103410   Click image for larger version

Name:	F4244281-267D-4836-B2C8-0A44AFF269A9.jpeg
Size:	718.6 KB
ID:	103412  

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-28-2018, 02:11 PM   #9
Zweihammer
Misfit

Fighterer

A couple hours of fussing over what to do, I cut out the frame spreader that was in the middle of my space. I will add something back when I am done. Ordered a couple of right angle adapters, put on my big boy pants and started getting the train going back to Flavortown.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	93F7AAC3-7A10-43BD-B173-FF2FE9FBB92A.jpeg
Size:	696.2 KB
ID:	103414   Click image for larger version

Name:	8DB15CDE-A7AD-4EB9-A675-A201813D4CA1.jpeg
Size:	792.8 KB
ID:	103416  

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-28-2018, 08:40 PM   #10
Zweihammer
Misfit

Fighterer

Next time I do this, I am going to get a second head to use as a jig on the bench. I am not as flexible as I once was. Blind, to boot.
Only one sketchy joint to fill. Not too bad for an afternoon.
Get it welded up and back on this weekend to see if I can get the blow off in there without extending the merge.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	EE28A0E1-BF16-409A-821D-B4C18F165C6A.jpeg
Size:	682.1 KB
ID:	103418  

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > CF Streetfighter Forum Contests > Streetfighter Buildoff > 2019 Winter Build-off > 2019 Winter Build-off Build Threads