Shinyribs' CB1100F- Poor man's CBX- build thread - Page 3 - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > CF Streetfighter Forum Contests > Streetfighter Buildoff > 2019 Winter Build-off > 2019 Winter Build-off Build Threads

2019 Winter Build-off Build Threads Only post here if you are the builder! Comments in the Discussion threads please.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Shinyribs' CB1100F- Poor man's CBX- build thread

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-11-2018, 01:04 AM   #21
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
shinyribs's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 02:17 AM
Flip Offs: 58
Flipped Off 117 Times in 104 Posts
shinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too much
Fighter of the Month 
Default Re: Shinyribs' CB1100F- Poor man's CBX- build thread

Not much done today, but I did redo the shock res mount and sorted out the hanger for the exhaust.

Pretty much at a standstill until parts start showing up, but 12" of snow on the ground has deliveries on hold. I did discover that worn out glass bead is busted up small enough to thoroughly clean the rust out of the pitted pipes, so that's win. Don't have to play with acid now. Found an emblem I liked for the tail light surround, but had to buy a pair at $10. Also ordered a speedo for $22. Yep, it's an eBay special.

Previous tally- $600
emblems- $10
speedo- $22
Current tally- $632
Pounds lost- 72
shinyribs is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived shinyribs!

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-12-2018, 12:29 AM   #22
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
shinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too much
Fighter of the Month 

Not really for this bike, but related to the build. Agreed to powdercoat this guys parts in exchange for my rearsets I'm using here.

While I was waiting on coating processes I decided to drill the brake lever. FZ07's are budget bikes and the brake lever is a massive slab of steel.
Damn near a pound?

Swiss cheesed that fucker and not even worth two ounces Colossal waste of effort.

Looks cool tho!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-14-2018, 12:38 AM   #23
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
Fighter of the Month 

Headlight showed up today and it does seem nicely made. I saw the lugs on the the back of the housing in the ad and figured I'd tap those for mounting, but luckily they are already tapped for me. Here's a review on the light I found if interested.

Not gonna offer my own thoughts, but I'd like to hear your honest opinion. Quick card board number plate mockup and another of just the light by itself.

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-14-2018, 11:48 PM   #24
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
Fighter of the Month 

The number plate was 12"x 12" and some people mentioned it was too big. I chose that size on a whim but liked how the height would help hide the gauge that will mount up around the bars...somewhere. Trimmed it down to 10 x 10 and pretty sure I hate it.

I wanted the number plate, but wasn't in love with it when I mocked it up. It actually looks better in person than in pics. The pics makes it look bigger than it is. Although it was gonna get a white "88" on it to break it up, and maybe a Honda emblem across the top. I'll be honest, I actually kinda liked the light just by itself. Plain, I know, but it damn near disappears on there. No clue what I'm gonna do.

So...decided to keep the ball rolling while I ponder light things and decided to powdercoat and rebuild the calipers. Can't explain why but wrinkle black has always said "high performance" to me, so that's the way I went here. Really happy with this powder, but it's fussy. Gotta redo one of the calipers, but I know what it likes now. Always a learning curve.

Side note- the kit for the rear caliper was an All Balls kit. Not even close to working. Couldn't get the piston in without shearing the dust seal. I knew better, but I'll never buy anything rubber from them again. There's a reason is half price...
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-15-2018, 01:45 AM   #25
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
Fighter of the Month 

Hmm... in the shower at 1:00 am and I get an idea. Run outside for a look....

I fooking dig it. Weighs fuckall and puts out no light. But I dig the look. Somewhere in between a bikini fairing and a number board. Maybe a DRZ400 cowl will be the trick.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-16-2018, 12:37 AM   #26
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
Fighter of the Month 

Got some time to kill before other parts start showing up, but ticking off small jobs to keep the ball rolling.

Brakes are all done up and good to go. Set aside for a later date.

I don't trust rubber from 1983 to keep my oil in, so stripped the oil lines off the fittings. Gonna see what the local hydraulics place can do before I order any hose for this. Considered converting the ends to AN, but not really feeling it.

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-16-2018, 09:57 PM   #27
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
Fighter of the Month 

Decided to tackle the valvecover today. The cam cap for the tach drive was busted, which is common, so just gonna seal up the hole in the cover.

This is what an "Ah, ha!" moment looks like. Always been comfortable with my aluminum welding, but it's never been pretty or had consistent bead sizes. You can see when I tried a different tactic mid way around the plug that things really improved. Totally stoked. Always learning.

Glued the inner side since I'd be flattening the patch and also didn't want an little crevices inside the cover that could hold grit.

Powdercoated in "chrome" which isn't very chrome-like at all, but when top coated with a clear it's a dead ringer for the factory finish. Very pleased with how this came out.

Current tally- $632
Pounds lost- 72
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-17-2018, 11:56 PM   #28
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
Fighter of the Month 

Piddly job, but trying to do at least one thing per day. gauge showed up and I like it so far. Happy to see it does go in to stealth mode and the pics weren't lying.

So out with the cardboard and scrap metal pieces again.

Will finalize the mount once the cowl or whatever is sorted out, but it's tucked as far as it can go anyway.

Need to figure out what these connectors are so I can order the other side of them. Only markings on the connectors is "IIIB", but apparently that's just the manufacturer and not the style or size.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-19-2018, 10:09 PM   #29
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
Fighter of the Month 

No work done, just keeping track of numbers.

Sold the stock fairing on ebay and get refunded for the AllBalls seal kit, for a total of $130 back to me.

Current tally- $502
Pounds lost- 72

On the topic of money, I bumped in to a guy on another forum who is a Sudco dealer. 33mm CR's typically go for $1200 for the kit, but he can send them to me straight from Japan for $950. Not ready yet, but good to know. Been researching fuel injection a lot lately.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-24-2018, 12:22 AM   #30
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
Fighter of the Month 

Turn signals showed up. pretty dang nice for 4 for $9.

Welded on a couple tabs to the tag bracket.

Tuck in close enough that throwovers won't knock them around.

Tail light surround should look pretty good once blacked out + an emblem.

My right hand switch gear was busted on the bottom half, but found another on ebay for $10.

More dumb luck, the harness from the spare/busted switch mates up to the plug on my gauge, so that is sorted out. Score

My rearsets were missing a pivot bolt and the right side heel plate. Found a bent setup on ebay for $10, so that gave me all the hardware I needed plus a spare lever to sort out the shifter side. Came with the bracket, brake switch, too, so the rearsets are all sorted now. Just had to drill the CRF mc clevis to take the larger pin that fit the FZ brake pedal.

Choppy choppy, bend and thread. Chopped the shifter off retaining the stub for the linkage rod mount, then used the spare brake pedal to make a new shifter.

Works good and the extra leveraga feels like shifting is gonna be effortless.

Sorted out mounting the magnet and sensor for the speedo. Turned up a little button and pressed the magnet inside it.

Then pressed the button in to one of the rotor rivets. Ain't going nowhere, but can be knocked out at a later date with no damage to the rotor.

Gotta drill a vent hole when pressing something in to a blond hole. Otherwise the air compressed and the piece wont seat fully. Like air gaps in your forks.

Left side caliper has an unused threaded hole that I don't know what it's original purpose was, but whipped up a small tab to hold the speedo sensor. Tucks under pretty well and the cable will route with the brake line. Should all disappear pretty well.

Just waiting on headlight stuff to show up so I can sort out the front lighting, then I can strip the frame for finish work and assemble a final rolling chassis.

Previous tally- $502
Spare ebay rearseat - $10
Spare switchgear - $10

Current tally- $520
Pounds lost- 72

Looking for a pair of grab handles that run along the sides of the seat (why the body panels have those weird cutouts). 750F and 900F parts fit, too....if anyone has a pair laying around

Happy Christmas Eve, 'fighter'ers

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > CF Streetfighter Forum Contests > Streetfighter Buildoff > 2019 Winter Build-off > 2019 Winter Build-off Build Threads