FZR 600 RR Build - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes

Member Project Bikes Project progress threads of members streetfighters.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > FZR 600 RR Build

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 06-20-2019, 05:32 PM   #1
RS_Raz
Chief Bodger
Senior Fighterer
RS_Raz's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 09:56 AM
Flip Offs: 9
Flipped Off 8 Times in 8 Posts
RS_Raz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RS_Raz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RS_Raz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RS_Raz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RS_Raz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RS_Raz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RS_Raz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RS_Raz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RS_Raz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RS_Raz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RS_Raz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Default FZR 600 RR Build

I have decided to build a Fightered out Yamaha 3TJ (Japanese Market FZR400RR) with a Thundercat engine coz the frame is sexy & light and the engine bolts straight in... almost.

FZR 3TJ:

This is probably a bad idea because 3TJ stuff is scarce but I don't care. I want it.

Got the frame:

It's been in storage for over 22 years! It's also unregistered so once this is built I'll have the fun of registering it for the first time. Yay.

Got the engine:

The guy I bought it off said he got it off a guy who said it came from a bike which only had 3200 miles on the clock. I think the clocks were broken or the guy was mentally insane. Or both maybe.

Striving to remain dynamic in an ever-evolving environment and shit like that.
RS_Raz is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived RS_Raz!

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 06-21-2019, 09:53 AM   #2
Junkie
re-tarded
CF Addict
Junkie's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 01:56 AM
Flip Offs: 3
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
Junkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to all
Fighter of the Month 
Default Re: FZR 600 RR Build

Nice. If you really want to go over the top build a 660

I really wanted an FZR hybrid for a while, I look forward to this. What're your plans for suspension/wheels?

A steering damper dampens steering oscillations. If it starts to leak, it may become a steering dampener. There's no such thing as a dampner.

Bikes: naked SV1000 with all the possible bling, WR450SM street legal, 450XCF SM trackbike
Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 06-21-2019, 05:30 PM   #3
RS_Raz
Chief Bodger
Senior Fighterer
RS_Raz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RS_Raz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RS_Raz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RS_Raz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RS_Raz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RS_Raz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RS_Raz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RS_Raz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RS_Raz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RS_Raz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RS_Raz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkie View Post
Nice. If you really want to go over the top build a 660

I really wanted an FZR hybrid for a while, I look forward to this. What're your plans for suspension/wheels?
It has crossed my mind. Is that FZR crank, YZF top end? or the other way round?

I need to build it looking stock-ish initially to help with registration. I'm hoping the fact it has no plastics won't get in the way of that.

Front end will be R6 5EB forks and wheel, FZR1000 clamps, 7/8ths risers, Silver spot calipers.
Rear end will be FZR1000 EXUP hopefully with a blue spot caliper somehow.

It needs to have a pillion seat and I really want to keep the 3TJ tank and tail. Although I don't like the 3TJ tail light much.

Engine needs work. Valves & seats are rusty. Aluminium's corroded:

Bores look very good. Pistons, combustion chambers just need a clean up I think:

WTF:

Water pump housing is nearly corroded right through

I think this guy was storing this engine in the sea:

Man....

This user High Fived RS_Raz!

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 06-21-2019, 07:20 PM   #4
yantosh

yantosh's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 13
Flipped Off 18 Times in 16 Posts
yantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on here
Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Winter Buildoff Winner Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month 

prob need MSVA ?
yantosh is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 06-21-2019, 11:05 PM   #5
Junkie
re-tarded
CF Addict
Junkie's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 01:56 AM
Flip Offs: 3
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
Junkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to all
Fighter of the Month 

660 is YZF jugs/pistons with FZR crank. Using FZR rods means deck height is correct without a spacer IIRC, but you need to enlarge the small end a bit. You can use either set of cases IIRC. YZF rods can be made to work but then you need to run a spacer under the jug.

and that's pretty much the exact front end I'd run, it's been a long time since I looked at swingarms so I'm not sure there.

A steering damper dampens steering oscillations. If it starts to leak, it may become a steering dampener. There's no such thing as a dampner.

Bikes: naked SV1000 with all the possible bling, WR450SM street legal, 450XCF SM trackbike
Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 06-22-2019, 03:10 AM   #6
a_morti
GURU

CF Addict
Local Time: 10:56 AM
Flip Offs: 24
Flipped Off 24 Times in 14 Posts
a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yantosh View Post
prob need MSVA ?
If anyone here would know, it's you. Seems like a ballache if so.

Idk what was paid for the frame but I wonder if it wouldn't make more sense to use one with registration?
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F233261450820

Aaron, living in Gibraltar and riding a 2014 MSX125 (Grom) with a bunch of shiny shite on it. Slow n loud!
a_morti is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 06-22-2019, 03:52 AM   #7
RS_Raz
Chief Bodger
Senior Fighterer

Quote:
Originally Posted by yantosh View Post
prob need MSVA ?
Possibly. I will try to avoid that though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_morti View Post
If anyone here would know, it's you. Seems like a ballache if so.

Idk what was paid for the frame but I wonder if it wouldn't make more sense to use one with registration?
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F233261450820
It probably would make more sense, yes. But I already had the frame when that one was listed. I considered buying that one and selling mine but that one looks like it was parked at the beach for a few years whereas mine looks like it's been in dry storage most of its life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkie View Post
660 is YZF jugs/pistons with FZR crank. Using FZR rods means deck height is correct without a spacer IIRC, but you need to enlarge the small end a bit. You can use either set of cases IIRC. YZF rods can be made to work but then you need to run a spacer under the jug.
I'll keep an eye out for the bottom end then. I read that the 2nd gear in these is made of chocolate so I'm sort of expecting to have it all in bits at some point anyways.

Seats clean up ok. Valves might too:

Got clamps. Stem is too long. According to the internet there isn't another stem that can be used in place of the 3TJ... which I don't have. Needs to be 26cm total, this is 28.

Top clamp has holes for risers but has perished bushes pressed in. So I pressed them out:

And scratched it up a bit:

Got a shifter but I think it must've come from that frame that's on ebay. Or maybe it was being stored in the sea with the engine:

I'm gonna nip out to the shed and play while the Mrs isn't looking....

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 06-22-2019, 04:16 AM   #8
a_morti
GURU

CF Addict
a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

Assuming it fits in the other dimensions (including would it reach the clamping areas of the forks), can the stem be cut, slugged, welded? I have no idea if that's a stupid question.

Aaron, living in Gibraltar and riding a 2014 MSX125 (Grom) with a bunch of shiny shite on it. Slow n loud!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 06-22-2019, 04:22 AM   #9
a_morti
GURU

CF Addict

You on here yet?
http://www.400greybike.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=79

There's a corresponding FB group.

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 06-22-2019, 07:02 AM   #10
RS_Raz
Chief Bodger
Senior Fighterer

Quote:
You on here yet?
http://www.400greybike.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=79

There's a corresponding FB group.
I'm not yet but there's great info on that site for me. Deffo could be handy if I'm stuck for bits. I'm not on FB tbh.

Quote:
Assuming it fits in the other dimensions (including would it reach the clamping areas of the forks), can the stem be cut, slugged, welded? I have no idea if that's a stupid question.
Yes. I've just sorted it:

Cut, chamfered, tapped a round bar inside, left a couple mm gap between the 2 halves to get decent penetration into the inner bar.
Clamped it up and cranked the mig right up.
It has warped a little bit but it runs smooth in the frame.

What you reckon?

These people High Fived RS_Raz!

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes