Sunday at church: Mass of the Dirtbag 2019 - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes

Member Project Bikes Project progress threads of members streetfighters.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Sunday at church: Mass of the Dirtbag 2019

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 07-18-2019, 01:25 AM   #1
make that thing forkless
forks and valves... WTF?
Senior Fighterer
make that thing forkless's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 08:43 AM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 2 Times in 2 Posts
make that thing forkless is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!make that thing forkless is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!make that thing forkless is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!make that thing forkless is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!make that thing forkless is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!make that thing forkless is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!make that thing forkless is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!make that thing forkless is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!make that thing forkless is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!make that thing forkless is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!make that thing forkless is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month 
Default Sunday at church: Mass of the Dirtbag 2019

As previously mentioned in my RZ350 re-frame thread https://www.customfighters.com/forum...d.php?t=136868... Dirtbag 2019 is GO!

My plan was originally to build the first prototype RZ350 frame for Dirtbag, but the GO date was announced much earlier this year than expected. Although it is never anounced ahead of time, it has historically been in very late summer or fall. Being that I always like to have my designs planned out ahead of time, I was not prepared this year for such an early start.

So, with that in mind, I decide that I'd use a stock RZ350 frame and add to it the swinagrm from the re-frame project and a crazy dual-shock girder front end that was inspired by a concept bike (rendering?) that I had seen online a few years back.

First effort was to modify the swingarm just slightly (narrower at the front) to fit the stock RZ frame, and then build the girder front end in CAD as quickly as possible. Here's a few crappy screen shots...

[IMG]20190704 RZ350 frame assembly 2019 by andbike, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]20190704 RZ350 frame assembly 2019.2 by andbike, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]20190704 RZ350 frame assembly 2019.1 by andbike, on Flickr[/IMG]

Here's the donor RZ350 frame given to me because it has been clipped (previous race bike) and thus as minimal restoration value. The engine is a 350 Bashee (RZ minus the YPVS system) that I got on CL for $500, and the pipes are an old set of Lassaks that were also gifted to me from a friend on BARF. The SUMO wheels are actually DRZ400 re-laced with 17s, but those are probably going to be held for another project and I'll find other cheap wheels to use.

[IMG]20190629_084606 by andbike, on Flickr[/IMG]

More to come soon, but for now I'm away to Vermont for a 3-day dual-sport ride.
make that thing forkless is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived make that thing forkless!

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 07-18-2019, 01:45 AM   #2
Gixooligan
Visions of Grandeur
Fighterer
Gixooligan's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 06:43 AM
Flipped Off 3 Times in 3 Posts
Gixooligan is a glorious beacon of lightGixooligan is a glorious beacon of lightGixooligan is a glorious beacon of lightGixooligan is a glorious beacon of lightGixooligan is a glorious beacon of lightGixooligan is a glorious beacon of lightGixooligan is a glorious beacon of lightGixooligan is a glorious beacon of lightGixooligan is a glorious beacon of lightGixooligan is a glorious beacon of lightGixooligan is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Sunday at church: Mass of the Dirtbag 2019

I'm so excited to see this build unfold. I loved your last Dirtbag bike. Keep it up!
Gixooligan is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 07-26-2019, 03:25 PM   #3
make that thing forkless
forks and valves... WTF?
Senior Fighterer
make that thing forkless's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
make that thing forkless is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!make that thing forkless is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!make that thing forkless is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!make that thing forkless is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!make that thing forkless is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!make that thing forkless is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!make that thing forkless is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!make that thing forkless is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!make that thing forkless is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!make that thing forkless is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!make that thing forkless is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

Here's a quick update...

I'm about halfway through the build window, but given that DBC came early this year I spent the first few weeks getting my CAD (shown in above post^^^) and planning in order. So here's finally some fab work to show.

Spent three days solid in front of my lathe turning bearing cups, threaded bungs, shims, and other roundy round thingies...

[IMG]20190705_193536 by andbike, on Flickr[/IMG]

The following weekend spent on rough assembly of the swingarm. Started with a few bent tubes and some notching. Bridgport mill turns out to be a very versatile machine to do the notching...

[IMG]20190713_171958 by andbike, on Flickr[/IMG]

Then did some notching on my Hitachi (horizontal mill). Wood bucks are handy for holding the bent tubing...

[IMG]20190706_155350 by andbike, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]20190714_092405 by andbike, on Flickr[/IMG]

Next is bringing the tubes together...

[IMG]20190714_092320 by andbike, on Flickr[/IMG]

Now starting to look like a swingarm...

[IMG]20190714_153808 by andbike, on Flickr[/IMG]

If it wasn't bad enough that DBC came early and caught me (and a bunch of other builders) off guard, I had a pre-planned dual-sport ride in Vermont planned for last weekend. I gotta say it was an awesome time! Here's a few photos from my trip (since it is in my DBC build window)

[IMG]20190719_104857 by andbike, on Flickr[/IMG]

Rental bike...

[IMG]20190720_091212 by andbike, on Flickr[/IMG]

Hill Farmstead Brewery...

[IMG]20190720_104530 by andbike, on Flickr[/IMG]

Vermont is beautiful in the summer...

[IMG]20190720_124931 by andbike, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]20190720_124330 by andbike, on Flickr[/IMG]

Okay, back to the DBC build very soon
make that thing forkless is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 07-27-2019, 03:30 AM   #4
Smoker
BLACK BELT

Smoker's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 05:43 AM
Flip Offs: 34
Flipped Off 13 Times in 12 Posts
Smoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on here

Props on treating a rental bike... well, like a rental bike!!

Your style has always been kind of alien for my taste - but I absolutely love the dual shock girder front end.

Fucking magnificent, bro. Keep on doing your own thing, and thanks for sharing.
Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived Smoker!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 07-27-2019, 03:45 AM   #5
Smoker
BLACK BELT

Smoker's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 34
Flipped Off 13 Times in 12 Posts
Smoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on here

Still a handsome mother fucker!

Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived Smoker!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-16-2019, 11:14 AM   #6
make that thing forkless
forks and valves... WTF?
Senior Fighterer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoker View Post
Still a handsome mother fucker!
Ha ha... I represent that comment!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-16-2019, 11:25 AM   #7
Junkie
re-tarded
CF Addict
Junkie's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 3
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
Junkie is a splendid one to beholdJunkie is a splendid one to beholdJunkie is a splendid one to beholdJunkie is a splendid one to beholdJunkie is a splendid one to beholdJunkie is a splendid one to beholdJunkie is a splendid one to beholdJunkie is a splendid one to beholdJunkie is a splendid one to beholdJunkie is a splendid one to beholdJunkie is a splendid one to behold
Fighter of the Month 

I'm looking forward to seeing this next weekend

A steering damper dampens steering oscillations. If it starts to leak, it may become a steering dampener. There's no such thing as a dampner.

Bikes: naked SV1000 with all the possible bling, FE570, FS570, 450XCF SM trackbike
Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived Junkie!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-16-2019, 11:44 AM   #8
make that thing forkless
forks and valves... WTF?
Senior Fighterer

Okay, I'll try to get some updates in. First gotta say this has been one of the most stressful Dirtbag Challenge builds I've done. Combination of a complex design and not being super prepared at the "go" announcement has really taken a toll. To make it worse, I've broken one of my personal rules by NOT starting with a bike that runs.

While a few parts are being built, I needed to not only get the bike running, but complete with all lights and brakes working well enough to pass a "brake and lamp" inspection. This is a requirement in California when building a vehicle from random spare parts. Just to get to the point of a running bike I had two minor issues to solve because of using a Banshee engine in an RZ. First is the front coolant line is routed differently than the RZ. The Banshee head has no thermostat and the water line exits at a much different angle. Second. the cylinders don't have bolt-on exhaust flanges like the RZ cylinders.

The solution to the first issue I found two 90 degree bend RZ waterlines and together they would make the "Z" shaped bend that would be required. I taped them together to roughly simulate the shape I needed and walked into an auto parts store and said "hey, do you have anything like this?" The girl at the counter was super helpful and let me go in back and look through a wall of water hoses. I found a hose that although longer than needed, had bends in the right shape that I was able to cut it and make it work.

Next was to turn some adapter cups to fit a set of John Lassak pipes that had been donated to the project.

[IMG]20190804_125727 by andbike, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]20190804_130803 by andbike, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]20190803_175611 by andbike, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]20190803_182844 by andbike, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]20190803_182855 by andbike, on Flickr[/IMG]

With these fiixes, I got the bike assembled and running. Here is how the bike looked on inspection day...

[IMG]20190804_193630 by andbike, on Flickr[/IMG]

I was super nervous about the inspection as I only had a few days between the inspection and my return appointment at the DMV to finalize everything and get a title. IF anything went wrong I'd be screwed and my chances of getting the bike built in time for Dirtbag would fade away.

Turns out I got the inspector from hell! He failed me because my rear brake was bit spongy. I'm not sure what he was expecting for a 30+ year old bike with old rubber brake lines. I was really depressed and ready to give up... but I went home that night and starting digging through old boxes of parts, Sometimes it pays off to be a pack-rat as I found a box of random FZR600 brake components that I'd been collecting for RZ mods. I hand picked the best caliper and master that I could find. And by pure chance found a steel braded line that was close enough to fit. Assembled everything and the pedal felt much better. The next day I went back and passed! That put me back in a much better place mentally... so time to celebrate at my favorite lunch spot

[IMG]20190807_114405 by andbike, on Flickr[/IMG]
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-16-2019, 12:31 PM   #9
make that thing forkless
forks and valves... WTF?
Senior Fighterer

Meanwhile back at the ranch.... parts are starting to come in from around the world... literally!

Random cheap-ass eBay stuff is arriving...

[IMG]20190727_100447 by andbike, on Flickr[/IMG]

My old leaser cutting vendor has changed their business model and now only does big fabrication projects. But by chance I was refereed to a new shop in Reno NV that is supper quick, super easy to get quotes, AND very good prices. Here is the first batch of parts from sendcutsend.com

[IMG]20190727_102558 by andbike, on Flickr[/IMG]

And last but not least, having spent 3 out of the past 12 months in China I've made some friends over there. Here's a batch of CNC machined parts (maybe a first for a DBC bike?). These are from a small mom and pop shop in southern China. We use the same shop for work related projects and everytime parts arrive we have the exact same reaction.... "the price was so cheap, how do they even pay for the material?". Okay, so quality isn't that great. Everything is hand sanded to remove machine marks, so I suspect the machine programming isn't that good. And material, well who knows... but this batch of parts was just over $700 for everything in the picture (including postage) and arrived on my front porch in a about 1-1/2 weeks from initial order. For a DBC build I'm VERY happy with this.

[IMG]20190727_103447 by andbike, on Flickr[/IMG]
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-16-2019, 05:11 PM   #10
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
shinyribs's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 58
Flipped Off 117 Times in 104 Posts
shinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too much
Fighter of the Month 

I am guilty of hand sanding machining marks here and there. Powdercoat hides a multitude of sins, though
shinyribs is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived shinyribs!

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes