Is Smoking Permitted? - Page 5 - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes

Member Project Bikes Project progress threads of members streetfighters.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Is Smoking Permitted?

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-26-2008, 06:50 PM   #41
Smoker
BLACK BELT

Smoker's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 12:47 PM
Flip Offs: 33
Flipped Off 12 Times in 11 Posts
Smoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on here
Default Re: Is Smoking Permitted?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ruckus View Post
dude.... do you sleep?!? I'd rep you again, but I just did like.... yesterday?
rep me again! Whatever that is. (I still have some reading to do.)

Swingarm problem #1 - The cross brace hits the shock. The only way I could mount the arm was to spin the spring so the cross brace goes between the coils.

I don't have welding equipment, so I'll be sending the swingarm out to have some of the brace chopped, sealed, and repolished.

This was totally the fault of JMC - the Ohlins shock fits exactly the same as the OEM shock, and there's plenty of clearance to move the brace back.
Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-26-2008, 07:20 PM   #42
Smoker
BLACK BELT

Smoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on here

Swingarm problem #2 - Can't attach the L-Brackets.

A lot of bikes have "dogbones" that connect the swingarm to a link of some kind, which attaches to the frame. The RZ uses "L-Brackets" which are like a dogbone with a rod on top that goes through the swingarm.

The I.D. of the swingarm is the same where the "L-Brackets attach, but the new arms are so wide, the the rods on the L-Brackets are too short to go through the arms.

I designed threaded bushings to go into the swingarm and seat on the shoulders of the rods. There's not much lateral force on the rods, so big hex nuts that stick out aren't necessary. I put a knurled caps on the end of the bushings which don't stick out so much.

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-26-2008, 07:30 PM   #43
Smoker
BLACK BELT

The threads on the rods were too long for the custom bushings, so I had to chop them down.

I made sure there the bushings capture plenty of threads (OEM nut = left, stainless jam nut = center)

Need to get the caps polished, too.

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-26-2008, 07:43 PM   #44
Smoker
BLACK BELT

Swingarm problem #2 solved. L-brackets chopped, threaded bushings installed.

Now these nuts and bolts don't look so good - so I guess I'll have to upgrade them, as well.

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-26-2008, 08:01 PM   #45
Smoker
BLACK BELT

Quote:
Originally Posted by n0regret5 View Post
congrats smoker, you just successfully turned a four-stroke convert back to dirty rattly smokers.
christ i miss that rg...
It's a dream of mine to own a tricked-out RG500. Unfortunately, I can't afford the bike projects I already have.

Funny that you said "rattly smokers" - reminds me of a racer doing his version of a "rattlin' two-stroke".

Not all smokers "rattle" - some sound like pure evil.

This user High Fived Smoker!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-26-2008, 08:18 PM   #46
Smoker
BLACK BELT

Quote:
Originally Posted by eZdoesit View Post
wouldnt you be able to just flips the bolts around so you dont see the threads sticking out of the nuts?
That's the first thing I thought when I looked at it, too.

But on the other side, the frame has a special cut-out to hold the swingarm pivot bolt head - and since I want those bolts to face the same way - it's a no go.

Besides, I'd still have to deal with the same problem on the other side.

I want to make a rear fender or fender panels out of carbon fiber and mount them so the frame rails are visible. The tape mock-up is to measure clearance for the rear tire. The fender panels (tape) look curved in the photo, but it's 3 flat pieces - or one flat piece with 2 bends.

I must have stared at the bike for over an hour today while I was considering bobbing the tail.

Yes, it would look SICK - but it's not for this bike. This bike has good bodywork, with a semi-rare OEM solo tailpiece. I also have another project bike with crappy bodywork, and the other bike will also look interesting with a bobbed tail because it has 2 down pipes and one up pipe - on the same side.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-26-2008, 08:53 PM   #47
Smoker
BLACK BELT

Measuring for the offset countershaft sprocket:

It's hard to get good chain alignment measurements because the eccentric adjusters don't have any reference marks. I might try to make a template so I can check the position.

Need a 12mm offset sprocket. (I hope! - That's what I ordered.)

Calculating tire clearance.

Talon Engineering is making a custom front sprocket to my specs. Talon also made the rear sprocket that came with the Dymag wheel. I asked Talon to add the same gold coating that is on the rear sprocket, but they didn't say if it's possible.

Also searching for a Ti front sprocket nut.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-26-2008, 09:14 PM   #48
Smoker
BLACK BELT

Quote:
Originally Posted by infernophil View Post
Considered entering the buildoff?
Well, for this year, it says The official end date of the buildoff is May 15th, 2008.Does that mean I have to apply in January of 2009? Hopefully, I'll have a lot more done by then. Can't guarantee the bike will be finished by May of '09, either.

Decided to chop 1 1/8 inches from the tail to bring the taillight in. The turn signals will have to be relocated so that they are directly below the solo tailpiece hooks.

The frame tubes will have to be cut and rewelded, the OEM turn signal brackets will have to be grinded off the taillight mount, the tool tray will have to be remounted (I may make a billet tray), and a new licence plate mount and turn signal mounts will have to be fabricated. The new turn signal brackets could be mounted with the same 2 bolts as the licence plate bracket.

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-26-2008, 09:45 PM   #49
Smoker
BLACK BELT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ View Post
That sucks about that Powerbronze fender cracking like that? Were they selling it as actual carbon fiber, or black fiberglass CF look?? If it was actual CF, I am pretty sure it would not have cracked like that.
It's actual CF. You can tell by the cross-section of the fender where it snapped.
When it broke, it sounded like a firecracker went off in the garage! Then it crackled and popped over the next hour while the fibers kept ripping apart as it settled.

After looking at the tail section some more I think it would be better NOT to section the frame, but to try to remove the brackets and just chop 1 1/8 inches off the end of the tubes. Then the brackets would be re-welded in the new location. Hopefully, I can do a clean job.

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-26-2008, 10:19 PM   #50
Smoker
BLACK BELT

Quote:
Originally Posted by infernophil View Post
Those are the rules from last year. This year's build-off starts November 1st.
I'll try to find the new build-off info.
I'm not very good with rules, though.

The axle bolts on the eccentric adjusters have been bothering me since I first saw them. I wish they were flush in the adjuster, so I'm going to try some low head cap screws.

Just installed the aluminum sprocket nuts. Still need blue/stainless lift spools, blue tire valve caps and Ti bolts for the cradles and rotor. Got some extra aluminum nuts for the handlebar clamps.

This user High Fived Smoker!

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes