How To Attach a Subframe. - Page 2 - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Technical Section > Heavy Metal

Heavy Metal Anything to do with welding, bending and fabricating things from metal goes in here.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > How To Attach a Subframe.

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-23-2019, 01:55 PM   #11
Junkie
re-tarded
CF Addict
Junkie's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 09:13 AM
Flip Offs: 3
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
Junkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to all
Fighter of the Month 
Default Re: How To Attach a Subframe.

yep, that's how I'd do it

I don't know if you're using square or round tubing for the subframe. I used square which made things easy. Don't have any pics handy right now.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2005-SUZUKI...QAAOSw2spbJcXd has some pics of a stock SV subframe, the lowers have pretty much what I speak of.

A steering damper dampens steering oscillations. If it starts to leak, it may become a steering dampener. There's no such thing as a dampner.

Bikes: naked SV1000 with all the possible bling, WR450SM street legal, 450XCF SM trackbike
Junkie is online now   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived Junkie!

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-23-2019, 02:03 PM   #12
remfanuk
Fighter
Local Time: 11:13 AM
Flip Offs: 0
remfanuk is a name known to allremfanuk is a name known to allremfanuk is a name known to allremfanuk is a name known to allremfanuk is a name known to allremfanuk is a name known to allremfanuk is a name known to allremfanuk is a name known to allremfanuk is a name known to allremfanuk is a name known to allremfanuk is a name known to all

great, i know i am on the right path now...cheers.
planning on using round tubing for aesthetic purposes as quite a bit of it will be on show.
remfanuk is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-30-2019, 11:26 AM   #13
remfanuk
Fighter
remfanuk is a name known to allremfanuk is a name known to allremfanuk is a name known to allremfanuk is a name known to allremfanuk is a name known to allremfanuk is a name known to allremfanuk is a name known to allremfanuk is a name known to allremfanuk is a name known to allremfanuk is a name known to allremfanuk is a name known to all

in terms of the slugs...are we talking simple solid round bar turned down to the inside diameter of the frame/subframe? Think I saw another post on here where the slug when in the frame/sub had a couple of holes drilled from the outside the frame/sub where the slug ended inside and welded. Is that belts and braces over just welding at the end of tube?
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-30-2019, 12:00 PM   #14
Junkie
re-tarded
CF Addict
Junkie's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 09:13 AM
Flip Offs: 3
Junkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to all
Fighter of the Month 

Yeah, that's what I did. Doing some holes for additional welds won't hurt.

A steering damper dampens steering oscillations. If it starts to leak, it may become a steering dampener. There's no such thing as a dampner.

Bikes: naked SV1000 with all the possible bling, WR450SM street legal, 450XCF SM trackbike
Junkie is online now   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived Junkie!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-03-2019, 01:43 PM   #15
remfanuk
Fighter

After giving this a lot of thought i am mostly settled on welding the subframe to the main frame rather than bolting it together.
So a couple of questions to the welders out there as I will be farming this task to someone who can.
Firstly is it possible and safe to weld an aluminium tubular subframe to the steel main frame? I was thinking about the weight saving primarily.
Secondly, i have been told that a slug in both sides of main and subframe will make it stronger. Having chopped my frame it looks like it was double skinned to my untrained eye...anyone know if it can be removed so as to have equal diameter slugs in the main frame? Cheers.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-03-2019, 02:11 PM   #16
yantosh

yantosh's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 05:13 PM
Flip Offs: 13
Flipped Off 18 Times in 16 Posts
yantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on here
Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Winter Buildoff Winner Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month 

sorry mate, can,t weld ally to steel
yantosh is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived yantosh!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-03-2019, 02:36 PM   #17
remfanuk
Fighter

Bugger. Thanks Yan. So whats with the inserts or double skin in the bandit frame? You did a bandit...was your frame the same?

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-03-2019, 02:39 PM   #18
yantosh

yantosh's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 05:13 PM
Flip Offs: 13
Flipped Off 18 Times in 16 Posts
yantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on here
Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Winter Buildoff Winner Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month 

earlier model bandit I built
yantosh is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-03-2019, 03:32 PM   #19
Streetfighterkz
Capt Oblivious
CF Pimp
Streetfighterkz's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flipped Off 11 Times in 7 Posts
Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

The inserts are remnants of the old subframe tubes. They are inserted into the main frame sections then welded.

Anyways, like Yantosh said no way to weld aluminum to steel. Might be able to braze it but don’t know enough about the process.

Later, Doug

‘74 Kawasaki H1-500
‘76 Kawasaki Kz900 Stripfighter
‘77 Kawasaki Kz1000
‘78 Kawasaki Kz1000
‘83 Kawasaki Gpz750 (Turbo Converted)
Streetfighterkz is online now   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived Streetfighterkz!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-04-2019, 02:40 AM   #20
remfanuk
Fighter

Thanks Doug. Should i try and get these inserts out or leave my welder to sort it out? I think they need to come out dont they? I accept that i will need to have a steel tubed subframe.

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Technical Section > Heavy Metal