Proper braking power vs. overkill - Page 3 - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Technical Section > Brakes and Suspension

Brakes and Suspension Anything to do with fabricating and modifying brakes and suspension goes in here.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Proper braking power vs. overkill

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-02-2020, 02:41 AM   #21
rex_saugerty
V four honda whore
rex_saugerty's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 03:32 PM
Flip Offs: 3
Flipped Off 40 Times in 39 Posts
rex_saugerty sits atop olympusrex_saugerty sits atop olympusrex_saugerty sits atop olympusrex_saugerty sits atop olympusrex_saugerty sits atop olympusrex_saugerty sits atop olympusrex_saugerty sits atop olympusrex_saugerty sits atop olympusrex_saugerty sits atop olympusrex_saugerty sits atop olympusrex_saugerty sits atop olympus
Fighter of the Month 
Default Re: Proper braking power vs. overkill

Cant find it now

1-0-1-1-0-1-0-0-1-0-1-1-0-1-0-0-1-0-1-1-0-1-0-0-1-0-1-1-0-1-0-0-1-0-1-1-0-1-0-0-1-0-1-1-0-1-0-0
rex_saugerty is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-02-2020, 03:34 AM   #22
Casper
The friendly Ghost.
Casper's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 05:32 AM
Flip Offs: 189
Flipped Off 34 Times in 28 Posts
Casper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympus
Fighter of the Month 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcantar View Post
How would that work? You'd have to have one or both of the rotors floating, which isn't really ideal at all.
I read that as similar to a dry clutch system. One caliper presses two outer frictions towards a stationary center friction that sandwiches two floating rotors.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-02-2020, 05:18 AM   #23
yantosh
yantosh's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 01:32 PM
Flip Offs: 14
Flipped Off 18 Times in 16 Posts
yantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on here
Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Winter Buildoff Winner Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rex_saugerty View Post
Cant find it now
was it BRAKING, the French company? I do remember it
yantosh is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-02-2020, 10:57 AM   #24
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
shinyribs's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 08:32 AM
Flip Offs: 58
Flipped Off 117 Times in 104 Posts
shinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too much
Fighter of the Month 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rex_saugerty View Post
IIRC there was a concept of some sort with two discs next to each other and caliper made tgat it squeezes bith discs individually. Therefore yiu have two discs per side
I remember seeing that, too. Looked heavy as fuck, complicated and even a bit fragile.

Modern bikes have brakes that will stand the bike on it's nose on command. Anything more complicated than that is a waste IMO. Unless you just dig the look or something
shinyribs is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-02-2020, 11:54 AM   #25
Streetfighterkz
Capt Oblivious
CF Pimp
Streetfighterkz's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 07:32 AM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 11 Times in 7 Posts
Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

Iíll sell you this...
[img] https://i.postimg.cc/Kj7jccmD/3-FAC7...-E1-DAF618.jpg[img]

Seriously though, if youíre not road racing or frequently slowing down quickly from a top speed run, I truly believe a single modern tech rotor and a 4-piston caliper with a good set of pads will be sufficient.

Later, Doug

Ď74 Kawasaki H1-500 Project
Ď76 Kawasaki Kz900 'Strip-fighter Project
Ď77 Kawasaki Kz1000
Ď78 Kawasaki Kz1000 Project
'80 Cx500 Cafe/Brat Project
Ď83 Kawasaki Gpz750 (Turbo Converted) Project
Streetfighterkz is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived Streetfighterkz!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-02-2020, 12:59 PM   #26
rex_saugerty
V four honda whore
rex_saugerty sits atop olympusrex_saugerty sits atop olympusrex_saugerty sits atop olympusrex_saugerty sits atop olympusrex_saugerty sits atop olympusrex_saugerty sits atop olympusrex_saugerty sits atop olympusrex_saugerty sits atop olympusrex_saugerty sits atop olympusrex_saugerty sits atop olympusrex_saugerty sits atop olympus
Fighter of the Month 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streetfighterkz View Post
Iíll sell you this...
[img] https://i.postimg.cc/Kj7jccmD/3-FAC7...-E1-DAF618.jpg[img]

Seriously though, if youíre not road racing or frequently slowing down quickly from a top speed run, I truly believe a single modern tech rotor and a 4-piston caliper with a good set of pads will be sufficient.

Later, Doug
Was tempted to fit one on VF girder. But fuck me those costs a lot

1-0-1-1-0-1-0-0-1-0-1-1-0-1-0-0-1-0-1-1-0-1-0-0-1-0-1-1-0-1-0-0-1-0-1-1-0-1-0-0-1-0-1-1-0-1-0-0
rex_saugerty is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-03-2020, 01:53 AM   #27
a_morti
GURU

CF Addict
Local Time: 02:32 PM
Flip Offs: 24
Flipped Off 24 Times in 14 Posts
a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
The 90s Seca II is a 100 lbs lighter per specs than the KZ1000 and comes with a single disc front brake. It is sufficient for normal riding, but was not really sufficient for a good spirited ride.

I think you would be doing yourself a disservice by using only one rotor, especially considering you're set up for nitrous.
It also had a disc that was meant to be used as a single. The material was thick enough to resist warping pretty well.

Btw: If you fit a half inch master cylinder off a cbr600f2/f3 that brake becomes pretty respectable.

Aaron, living in Gibraltar and riding a 2014 MSX125 (Grom) with a bunch of shiny shite on it. Slow n loud!
a_morti is online now   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-03-2020, 02:55 AM   #28
Casper
The friendly Ghost.
Casper's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 05:32 AM
Flip Offs: 189
Flipped Off 34 Times in 28 Posts
Casper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympus
Fighter of the Month 

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_morti View Post
It also had a disc that was meant to be used as a single. The material was thick enough to resist warping pretty well.

Btw: If you fit a half inch master cylinder off a cbr600f2/f3 that brake becomes pretty respectable.
It was a highly cost reduced system on a cost reduced bike. There were no benefits in the long run for the single disc system on the XJ and they changed the design to a dual disc for the next iteration.

Towards the original question, I doubt the rotors that he is thinking of using as a single are as you put it "meant to be used as a single." Even with a perfectly balanced hydraulic system.

Grand scheme of things though, there are plenty of cruisers out there that don't use the front brakes at all and are still alive and riding today...
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-03-2020, 07:15 AM   #29
rex_saugerty
V four honda whore
Fighter of the Month 

Heres an idea. If the thing that worries us the most is wrapping of discs l due to heat. Why not use 4pot design caliper. Make a spacer for it so you could fit thicker rotor up there. Water jetting places is getting cheaper. With some hardening it could work.

I think

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-03-2020, 02:48 PM   #30
yantosh
yantosh's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 01:32 PM
Flip Offs: 14
Flipped Off 18 Times in 16 Posts
yantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on here
Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Winter Buildoff Winner Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month 

never hardened any discs I made
yantosh is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Technical Section > Brakes and Suspension