Mcantar's Busa round 2! - Page 3 - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > CF Streetfighter Forum Contests > Streetfighter Buildoff > Past Streetfighter Buildoffs > 2017 Winter Buildoff > Bike Build Threads

Bike Build Threads Post yer bike threads in here.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Mcantar's Busa round 2!

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-20-2016, 12:11 AM   #21
mcantar
Fuck it, let's do it live

CF Pimp
mcantar's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 01:57 AM
Flip Offs: 46
Flipped Off 22 Times in 21 Posts
mcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympus
Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month 
Default Re: Mcantar's Busa round 2!

My master cylinders came in today. Were supposed to be here last week but the snow got in the way of that.

This shit again... but more this time. Ever see the movie Inception? This is like the postal version of that.

Package inside a package inside a box.

And what was inside the innermost package? Another one. 4 fucking layers of packages.

Look good. Can't figure out why these eBay scrapyard people feel the need to write their part ID numbers in plain sight in very hard-to-remove paint pens.

Looks much better.

Couldn't help myself, I mocked everything up on the bars... didn't get a pic though.
I thought the color would work but now I'm thinking they need to be black. Definitely need to get some mini reservoirs... the size on the clutch side is ideal.
Have a neat idea for the reservoir brackets too.

Unfortunately, the brake line is too short now by about 60mm, and none of the half dozen sets of stainless lines I have in the pile are long enough either. Hoping CORE Moto can lengthen just the top line that goes to the 3-way block, instead of having another set made.

Also of note, the switch unit I got doesn't quite fit. Thought maybe it was the bars, so I stuck it on 4 other sets of normal bars and still no good. I took the calipers to it and it came in at 21.4mm... 7/8" bars should be in the area of 22.2mm,. Have a message in to the seller for a return or an exchange for a Motogadget M-switch.

Then I figured what the hell, let's see how the big picture looks. Mounted the subframe and stuck the tail on (the pliers keep it from tipping back as I haven't bolted it down yet).
Different than what I had set out for, but I'm happy with the direction it's going.

Then the thought of gauges occurred to me for the first time since the teardown.
I like how it fits into the profile of the bars, but I think it sticks out too far. I'll see how it comes together with the headlight I haven't figured out yet, worst case the Koso will go to another bike or one of you guys and I'll get that half-circle Motogadget unit.

Need to order reservoirs, mirrors, and figure out levers.

Hypermotard 1100S the weight-shavening.
Bandit 1200 cafe/fighter that will never get finished at this rate.
Turbo Busa v2 2017 Buildoff.
Turbo Busa V1.2 2016 Buildoff.
Turbo Busa v1.1
919 Hornet build'n'flip, lotsa electrical diagnostic info in there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poopie View Post
Everything should be turbo'd, and what the fuck is a budget?
mcantar is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-20-2016, 01:10 AM   #22
mcantar

CF Pimp
mcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympus

Mirrors ordered... that one hurt.
I ALMOST got the cheapo versions of these from China that cost 1/3 for the set as the real ones do per side, but they were missing a couple minor but important design details, so I had to go with the real deal. I'm gonna be really fucking pissed if I drop this bike.

China versions:

What I got:

Turbo Busa v1.1
Quote:
These people High Fived mcantar!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-20-2016, 09:19 PM   #23
mcantar

CF Pimp

Reservoirs ordered (thanks Mikey), will pick up reservoir bracket materials when they show up.

Talked to the folks at CORE Moto today... no way to replace a line in the 3-way splitter block, they're swaged in... no choice but to do new lines. These fancy bars need to stop costing me money.

Also found this doodad. Not sure if I like it or not... or if it'll fit with my triple/bars... or if they'll even ship to the US... or if the company is still even functioning...
Would certainly make life a little simpler though.

Turbo Busa v1.1
Quote:

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-22-2016, 12:39 AM   #24
mcantar

CF Pimp

Wellllllllll....... fuck. I drew up a sketch to the listed dimensions of the Motoscope Pro and it fits in that recess in the bars like they were made for it. I didn't want it to be THAT much better fit than the Koso.
We'll see. Maybe I can integrate the Koso into the headlight housing... probably not how I'd like though.

Have an M-Switch on the way to replace the switches I have. Should be here this week if Christmas postal-craziness doesn't get in the way.

Also found a great price on an ASV shorty that fits the Panigale brake master, so that's on the way. Just need to find one for the clutch side now.

If anybody wants the old ASV's (they fit a bunch of different bikes) or the Koso, let me know. Would be nice to offset costs a little.

Turbo Busa v1.1
Quote:
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-24-2016, 09:01 PM   #25
mcantar

CF Pimp

Motogadget M-Switch arrived yesterday to replace the crap Motone unit. Fits perfectly.

Found a spot where the Koso actually doesn't look bad, and then noticed there was something rattling around in it. Popped it open and it looks like these capacitors broke off somehow? I'll try to fix it and if not I'll have a good reason to go for the Motoscope Pro.

Got family coming over for Xmas dinner so as usual I went to hide in the garage. Actually got a little done too.

Battery box finished off with the velcro strap in place.

Then I lined the top of the subby with some of the excess foam that came with the Shorai. The tail section is slightly concave (from the top), so this'll allow it to sit proper.

Then sorted the mounting holes for the tail and got it mounted up... just need to finish it off and make it look right, and attach the seat pad. Probably gonna wrap it in carbon once I finish off the shape.
Pretty happy with how it sits.

Thinking this is a pretty good home for the preload adjuster.

Had to mount the rearset to make sure it all fit together as it should. Might paint the bracket black, the bare alum matches the shock itself but not so with the frame and rearset right next to it. Easy enough to take care of later.

Then I figured I may as well stick the other side on and butt-test the seat. No pictures of the butt-testing, but it's SOLID! Bounced on it a few times and it doesn't even flex (shut up).
In other good news, the kickstand looks just fine with the rearset filling out that space.

From sitting on it, I'll likely need to raise the pegs one or two holes and will definitely be shaving the riser blocks down as much as they can go. Might even lower the front end a touch.

Turbo Busa v1.1
Quote:
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-27-2016, 12:48 AM   #26
mcantar

CF Pimp

Turbo Busa v1.1
Quote:
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-31-2016, 01:38 AM   #27
mcantar

CF Pimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcantar View Post
Can't wait to see it on the bike! Little ways off from that though, and I have my own touch to add to it first

Well we're halfway there. Visited my buddy's laser shop today, ran a few test runs and then burned the final part out of cast acrylic... SHOULD hold up to oil/heat, from what I'm seeing online. Wanted to use the fancy stuff that Seb provided with the cover but it didn't etch well, the CO2 laser had very little effect on it and the fibermark laser basically printed on it (markings were black, which isn't conducive to being backlit).

Waiting on parts in the mail to finish it off and then mount it. If it works as intended the Skully will glow green.

Happy to say that I don't think I'll need new brake lines on the front end. If I move the Motogadget switch to the right side, use these grips that are a bit longer than the throttle tube, angle the masters down to the angle that matches my grip, and mount the mirrors on the bars as planned then I should be JUST close enough to use the lines I've already got.

End up with this much slack at full fork extension... should be enough I think.

Bars are starting to look pretty good overall though. Would prefer the switches on the left side, but I'll get over it... seems less weird to have my starter button on the left than to have my high-beam on the right, not sure why.

Have a waterproof 30A toggle that will either be my ignition, or the cutoff for the RFID ignition if I can ever figure that circuit out. Think this is a nice spot, accessible but decently hidden. I'll drill a hole for it.

Picked this guy up too. Bike has 7 or 8 fuses, this holds 10 so it can all be centralized when I do the harness. And the LED's light up if a fuse blows which is pretty convenient.
I was really hoping to find a box of miniature breakers so I can totally eliminate fuses on the bike, or at least the breakers themselves to build a box around, but couldn't find anything suitable.

Thinking I'm gonna have to jump and get a real throttle tube. Tightening the bolts on this one gouged the shit out of the metal underneath the bolt head... and I didn't crank down on them by any means... shitty Chinese alloy. I would hate for the throttle cables to wallow out the holes they live in over time and end up with unfixable slack. New one is on order.

Turbo Busa v1.1
Quote:
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-01-2017, 07:19 PM   #28
mcantar

CF Pimp

The lighting arrived, much more quickly than anticipated, and since it was NYE and I don't like people I went to work.

Lens in place.

My initial plan was to light it from the back due to space constraints in the cover plate, securing the light wire in place with clear RTV. Wasn't a huge fan of having something inside the cover that could potentially break loose and eat my engine, and after testing it I'm not really happy with how it lights up either. I'll find a way.

Back lit vs. edge lit...

I sat at the kitchen table and stared at the relevant bits for a while, and came up with a pretty slick idea for a way to edge-light it without having light bleed through the cover, giving me the effect I want and keeping things outside the engine. Might need to pay another visit to laser man.

Not quite ready to install but I couldn't help myself.

Really need to get working on sorting the bike's electrics...

Turbo Busa v1.1
Quote:
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-02-2017, 10:34 PM   #29
mcantar

CF Pimp

Tiny bit of progress, plenty to go still. Will probably redo this 20 times before I settle on a shape I like. Cant decide whether to make it concave or convex?

Need to find a better adhesive that doesn't eat the foam. And maybe make a hotknife.

Turbo Busa v1.1
Quote:
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-16-2017, 02:46 AM   #30
mcantar

CF Pimp

I've only had time to do little bits of work here and there lately. Was able to get out and do a decent chunk with the tank today and I figured I'd catch up on some of the updates.

Euro mirrors and less-shitty Chinese throttle arrived.

All those shapes and colors, looks like it came from Toys-R-Us.

Mirror arms are thicker than I thought, so the m-switch had to move to the other side as it interferes by about 1mm.

Contemplating the headlight. I don't want to go with the MT03, because it's so common, but it just looks so damn right... on everything! We'll see, there's a pile of LED light bars of various sizes at work so I may fiddle around with that stuff.

The master cyl. reservoirs should be here shortly and then I can just about cross the bars off the list.

So the tank. Still not sure if I'm gonna stick with what I've done or grab another tank from the pile and weld up some thin sheet. We'll see how this one turns out, I'd rather avoid having to re-coat the inside (after welding) and I really don't enjoy forming sheet into compound curves.
Anyway, I don't recall who mentioned it but that Loctite adhesive spray really worked like magic. I sanded down the foam I had on there (pictured in a previous post) and played with the shape a bit, then cut another set of blocks which I used the Loctite on and replaced the test pieces. Then I shaped them up.

After some thinking, and some beer, I decided doing the filler and whatnot over a base layer would produce a better finished product more easily than the other way around. So I grabbed some fabric and layed it up (fiberglass would have been fine but I don't have any, and I have half a dozen yards of carbon, so fuck it).

Doesn't need to be perfect, as it's only the base that I'll be building from. Was really nice to not have to worry about clean edges, bubbly resin, weave alignment, etc... felt kind of wrong too lol.

So that's where it's at. Resin is drying and I'll pick up some filler compound tomorrow. MC reservoirs left NY on the 11th so they should be here tomorrow if not the day after. Rizoma bar ends are en-route. Replacement capacitors have arrived for the gauge, need to see if I can make it work again.

For my memory's sake... to-do:
-Order front brake microswitch.
-Pick up clutch lever from parts store buddy.
-Sort out intercooler location so I can do up the piping.
-Visit laser guy, sort clutch cover and tail light lens.
-Take clutch cover ring to work to mill slot for wires.
-Order LED's for tail light.
-Order wire for harness.

Turbo Busa v1.1
Quote:

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > CF Streetfighter Forum Contests > Streetfighter Buildoff > Past Streetfighter Buildoffs > 2017 Winter Buildoff > Bike Build Threads