Mcantar's Busa round 2! - Page 5 - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > CF Streetfighter Forum Contests > Streetfighter Buildoff > Past Streetfighter Buildoffs > 2017 Winter Buildoff > Bike Build Threads

Bike Build Threads Post yer bike threads in here.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Mcantar's Busa round 2!

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-22-2017, 02:42 AM   #41
mcantar
Fuck it, let's do it live

CF Pimp
mcantar's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 03:04 PM
Flip Offs: 44
Flipped Off 21 Times in 20 Posts
mcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympus
Fighter of the Month 
Default Re: Mcantar's Busa round 2!

Oil's in. Radiator flushed and cleaned, going on tomorrow. Taking the day off to get bike shit done.

Just remembered that I hadn't gotten around to looking into a water pump for the intercooler, been on eBay for the last hour and successfully crushed my hopes and dreams. There are no fucking pumps available with -10AN connectors or even some other threaded connector I could put an adapter on. So I either need to redo all the other fittings on that system and run normal hoses or do some kind of ghetto-fab and run a -10AN to male hose barb off the lines and a little jumper length of normal hose between that and the pump. On the bright side, I may be able to use one of the auxiliary pumps that the 'Mogs run which I could get from work for pretty much free.
There is one company that makes one with threaded holes for in/out, but they want $250+ for their shit and it flows way too much anyway.

Then that search reminded me I need a new fuel pump too. Which reminded me that I'm putting the pump in a new location this year and that may require new lines and fittings, which aren't cheap (spent like $600 on hoses and fittings for the fuel and oil system last year).
Damnit. Tomorrow's gonna be expensive.

Hypermotard 1100S the weight-shavening.
Bandit 1200 cafe/fighter that will never get finished at this rate.
Turbo Busa v2 2017 Buildoff.
Turbo Busa V1.2 2016 Buildoff.
Turbo Busa v1.1
919 Hornet build'n'flip, lotsa electrical diagnostic info in there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poopie View Post
Everything should be turbo'd, and what the fuck is a budget?
mcantar is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived mcantar!

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-26-2017, 10:32 PM   #42
mcantar

CF Pimp
mcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympus
Fighter of the Month 

I bought a Do Work sticker!

And as a bonus it came with with a fancy Dietsch Werks fuel pump. Exactly the same as my old one, except better in every way (higher volume at lower amp draw.... and shinier....)

Then I got home and started on the harness. Finally.
I've procrastinated it so long that I no longer have time to wire one up completely from scratch (score!), so instead I'm modifying the OEM one to be mo bettah. It's actually going pretty well, I won't bore you guys with pics of the rat's nest that it currently is but I've managed to completely remove a handful of circuits from the harness entirely and condensed many others. I also de-ghettoed some of my "fuck it make it work and get it on the road" stuff from last year.

Spent a good chunk of the day today with imsolidstate working up my tail lights. They're gonna be pretty fuckin cool, should be able to finish them off next weekend. Dude knows his shit when it comes to electrickery.

So, mainly for my sake, what's left...
- Make mount for fuel pump, install.
- Make lines for fuel system, install.
- Make mount for intercooler, install.
- Mount radiator and heat exchanger.
- Make lines for intercooler system, install.
- Make charge tube piping, install.
- Finish tail light, install in tail, paint.
- Cut and shape foam for seat.
- Fill radiator, intercooler systems.

I think that's it.
Oh... and I have 8 days to finish all of that in, in order to have it to my tuner in time for him to do his thing and get it back before MotoGP (and more importantly the Handbuilt Motorcycle Show that goes on there that weekend). Easy as pie

Turbo Busa v1.1
Quote:
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-27-2017, 03:24 AM   #43
mcantar

CF Pimp
Fighter of the Month 

Harness is mostly done, just a few little bits to polish up.
Should be able to key on tomorrow and see if anything lights up. Crossing my fingers that it will, because I've cut so much out that if it doesn't work I won't have the slightest clue where to begin looking for the problem.
If all goes well, I'll get it in a proper loom and check this one off the list.

Turbo Busa v1.1
Quote:

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-27-2017, 11:40 PM   #44
mcantar

CF Pimp
Fighter of the Month 

Whipped up a quick little bracket for the R/R. Needed a minimum of .75" standoff to clear a nub on the frame, had this 1"x2" alum laying around... cut a couple angles, drill a few holes, easy peasy.

Just came inside for a quick bite to eat, heading back to the garage in a moment.

Turbo Busa v1.1
Quote:
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-28-2017, 03:56 AM   #45
mcantar

CF Pimp
Fighter of the Month 

Well, hit a bit of a snag. Connected all the things, except for injectors cause they're a cunt, and tried cranking... nothin.

I have 13.1v at the battery (I know it's low, I just wanted to hear the starter make an attempt), I have lights and gauge, I can hear the starter solenoid make the noise when I hit the switch.
The secondary throttle valves aren't sweeping, which I *think* they should be... been a little while since I saw a running Busa. I think I can hear the little motor trying to go, almost as if it's bound up, but the secondaries move properly if I finger them (giggity) and the throttle bodies weren't messed with at all, removed and stuck on the shelf til reinstall.
When I hit the starter button the headlight goes out, but the starter motor doesn't kick on.

The clutch safety seems to be functioning, I can hear it click when I pull the clutch in and I measured resistance at the connector with a multimeter and I get a change in reading when the switch is engaged (not sure what it's supposed to be reading, but engaged vs. disengaged are distinguishable). And an issue here wouldn't cause an issue at the throttle body.
Kickstand safety was jumped last year. The bike is in neutral. Basics are covered.

The only thing I can think of (excluding wiring issues) is the ECU is either bad or doesn't work with my setup. I have a spare ECU plugged in that I believe is stock (could be tuned, not sure but not likely). I've never tested this ECU before, for one... also, the bike is setup to not have an O2 sensor and my actual ECU is programmed for such. I'm not sure if the lack of an O2 sensor would prevent cranking or not.

I'm hesitant to plug in my actual ECU though, because if there's some weird wiring issue that shorted this one out or something then I don't want to fuck my other one and I don't have any other spares to try.

Obviously it's also entirely possible that I screwed up something with the wiring, but the only things I removed were peripheral bullshit like turn signals and horn circuit and whatnot... the other shit I've messed with was simply shortened or lengthened, carefully so as not to mix up wires and done properly with solder and heat shrink. So Occam's Razor aside, I don't think that's it.

EDIT... just remembered I've also eliminated the tipover sensor within my actual ECU, and that even if the spare has been tuned away from OEM it's unlikely that the tipover sensor was disabled within it. Might have to go dig that sensor up and plug it in...

Turbo Busa v1.1
Quote:
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-28-2017, 04:36 AM   #46
mcantar

CF Pimp
Fighter of the Month 

Tried my actual ECU, hoping it was the tipover sensor. Still no crank, and still no STV sweep. That eliminates the O2 sensor as well.
Doubt it's battery voltage... it could be it's own issue, but shouldn't cause the throttle body thing.
I wonder if I can bribe my tuner to make a house call...

Turbo Busa v1.1
Quote:
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-29-2017, 12:43 AM   #47
mcantar

CF Pimp
Fighter of the Month 

Talked to the guys at QuikCycles and they suggested looking at a particular component near the fuse box that looks for signals from the go/no-go stuff (kickstand, clutch safety, etc.) and tells the ECU whether or not things are ok.
Looking at the diagram there's a light blue wire going from that black box to the turn signal/hazard light switches... it's the only thing that connects to that black box that I've messed with (and by messed with, I mean I've removed everything downstream of it).
I tried grounding it to the battery and blew the 10amp "Signal" fuse immediately when I turned the key on. Checked the diagram again, found the ground in the harness that it splices into after going through the turn signal and hazard switches and grounded the light blue wire there. Blew the fuse again.

It doesn't seem like a "critical" circuit (I didn't even have anything plugged into it this last year), but the fuses make me think that maybe I'm looking in the right direction... though I'm not really sure what to do from here.

Here's the diagram, if any of you are bored enough to take a peek at it:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6X...ew?usp=sharing

The circuit in question is at the top right of the Fuse Box (bottom left of the page), coming out of the negative symbol. The wire is labeled L-bl.

Turbo Busa v1.1
Quote:
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-29-2017, 02:38 AM   #48
mcantar

CF Pimp
Fighter of the Month 

It works!

!!!!!!!!!!!

As it turns out, Ducati put a diode in their clutch safety switch. I had it backwards. Which I promptly discovered right after checking through LITERALLY EVERYTHING ELSE.

Now, to clean up the rat's nest.

Turbo Busa v1.1
Quote:
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-01-2017, 02:51 AM   #49
mcantar

CF Pimp
Fighter of the Month 

Ever wonder what $700 of fittings and hoses look like?

It looks like way too little to be that fucking expensive.

Picked that up today. Procured this raw intercooler mounting bracket yesterday...

By the way... the harness, post-gutting and pre-unfucking:

The harness mostly in the loom:

The shit that was entirely removed from the OEM setup:

There's one other full circuit I can remove, but I didn't remember it until after I already had the loom on and those extra couple ounces just ain't worth it.

Tomorrow is a busy day. Heading down south to pick up the alum tube for my turbo piping and linking up with imsolidstate to get my tail light, then on the way back I'll drop by my mom's house to grab the module for my bar switches that my stepdad whipped up (retired electrical engineer). Tomorrow night should see the wiring harness totally buttoned up, the tail start to come together, and maybe some of the intercooler bits thrown on.
Sunday I'll load it up in the truck and haul it up to my shop where I'll make the fuel pump bracket, the intercooler bracket, and weld up the charge pipe. Then make/run the fuel lines and I/C lines, and go finish up the tail Sunday night through Monday.
And then we're off to the tuner.

Turbo Busa v1.1
Quote:
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-02-2017, 06:08 AM   #50
mcantar

CF Pimp
Fighter of the Month 

Sneak peak at the tail lights...

Everybody go rep imsolidstate. I hit him up a while back for help with the lights, with a vague idea of what I wanted, knowing he's done something similar on his GSXR. He spent a good chunk of his own time on this and it came out perfectly. I'll take/post more pics of them later.
Now I just have to stick them (there's two lights) in the tail Diavel-style and make the final product live up to his efforts

And the switching module for the Motogadget m-switch that the stepdad made with some help of one of his friends. This board runs the high/low toggle, and there's a normal SPDT relay for the starter. I'll wire it all in tomorrow after I knock out the remaining fab work... I'm fucking sick of wiring at the moment.

Also picked up the alum piping today.
And for really the first time since the engine was pulled, it's wheels are on the ground under almost the full weight instead of up on stands. Pulled it down since I'll be loading it into the truck in the morning to haul off to my shop for the milling and welding and whatnot.
I'm also gonna swap the OEM kickstand back in... I don't like how this one sits.

Turbo Busa v1.1
Quote:

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > CF Streetfighter Forum Contests > Streetfighter Buildoff > Past Streetfighter Buildoffs > 2017 Winter Buildoff > Bike Build Threads