Dimestak - 1988 xlh883 Sportster - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > CF Streetfighter Forum Contests > Streetfighter Buildoff > 2018 Winter Buildoff > Bike Build Threads

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Dimestak - 1988 xlh883 Sportster

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-07-2017, 10:35 PM   #1
DimestaK
GURU

CF Lover
DimestaK's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 10:48 AM
Flip Offs: 2
Flipped Off 2 Times in 2 Posts
DimestaK has much to be proud ofDimestaK has much to be proud ofDimestaK has much to be proud ofDimestaK has much to be proud ofDimestaK has much to be proud ofDimestaK has much to be proud ofDimestaK has much to be proud ofDimestaK has much to be proud ofDimestaK has much to be proud ofDimestaK has much to be proud ofDimestaK has much to be proud of
Default Dimestak - 1988 xlh883 Sportster

Figure I'll join in with this years buildoff instead of just watching. See where this goes, have some fun, and maybe finish.

Here is the progress up to current date and time

And the good ole date pic as she sits

[IMG][/IMG]
DimestaK is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-08-2017, 01:12 PM   #2
DimestaK
GURU

CF Lover
DimestaK has much to be proud ofDimestaK has much to be proud ofDimestaK has much to be proud ofDimestaK has much to be proud ofDimestaK has much to be proud ofDimestaK has much to be proud ofDimestaK has much to be proud ofDimestaK has much to be proud ofDimestaK has much to be proud ofDimestaK has much to be proud ofDimestaK has much to be proud of
Default Re: Dimestak - 1988 xlh883 Sportster

Paid $1500 for the bike originally. So far to date I've only spent $31 out of my pocket other than the initial price. Sold the stock sporty take off parts to get me to this point. Most the other bits were just sitting around the shop collecting dust

Cost list as of today
Bike $1500
Front motor mounts $28
1.250 tube caps $10
04 gsxr1000 rear caliper $28
04 gsx750f rear rim $50
gsxf cush drive $15
TL1000s top triple $20
Fox MTB shock $80
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-10-2017, 03:14 PM   #3
DimestaK
GURU

CF Lover

Tires came in yesterday. Need to mount them still. Wound up going with the Battlax. Never ran em so we'll see how they go

And started on making the handle bar. Piece of 1" tube I threw some knurl on real quick. Need to throw some bends in it and then step it down still

These people High Fived DimestaK!

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-11-2017, 03:25 PM   #4
DimestaK
GURU

CF Lover

Tires mounted and under the bike now. Tossed the tank on just for a visual

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-14-2017, 11:24 PM   #5
DimestaK
GURU

CF Lover

Been working on the handlebar this week, bit by bit. Threw a couple degrees bend in each side

Then started working on the ends. Needed to step down from the 1" to .875". Turned a piece up tube down to fit the main bar and cut plugs for the ends

Plugs welded in and cleaned up, drilled for bar end mirrors ( need to tap ) and switch housing location holes drilled

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-15-2017, 10:17 PM   #6
DimestaK
GURU

CF Lover

Fitted the bar ends with some switches, Busa masters and CRG levers

And threw them in the main bar on the bike

Gotta sort some angles so I can final weld the bars into 1 unit. Wires will be run thru the bar eventually and down thru the stem for a mostly hidden look. At least that's the plan at the moment.

Set of TL calipers up front also. Going to need to order some brake lines

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-18-2017, 11:09 PM   #7
DimestaK
GURU

CF Lover

Been needing to sort the rear axle adjustment out. Lots of things needing to be done out back but cant because this bits not done. Racked my brain for a nifty idea and scoured the net for pics. In the end I decided to go simple and just use a bolt with a threaded bung I'll weld to the side of the axle plate. Did spring a few coins though and got these instead of a plain bolt

One thing that I was dead set on for this bike was the ability to carry a passenger. Means I needed a fender of some sort so I ordered that while I was spending. Came from the same place and got me free shipping so why not. No where close to ready for it yet, but threw it up for ideas. I highly doubt I'll use the entire length of it as its a bit much. May chop some up and make a front fender also.

The curve of the fender is about spot on with this tire. I was really worried about that and measured a ton, but knew it would be closer than any attempt I would be able to make

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-20-2017, 09:08 PM   #8
DimestaK
GURU

CF Lover

Threaded bungs done for the adjusters. I'll try and get them glued on this weekend if I have time

These people High Fived DimestaK!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-26-2017, 12:31 PM   #9
DimestaK
GURU

CF Lover

Needed to open the axle slots from .750 to 20mm. Simple job with a carbide burr. Also got the adjuster bungs tacked on. I'll fully weld them later on when the frame gets dissasembled

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-27-2017, 10:07 PM   #10
DimestaK
GURU

CF Lover

Originally I hoped on running the rear caliper somewhere like so with a couple solid mounts right off the tubes

The sportster rotor was quite large ( 11.5" diameter ) and it might have worked. But this rotor isn't and so its going to hang under something like so. Without the fancy yellow tape of course

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > CF Streetfighter Forum Contests > Streetfighter Buildoff > 2018 Winter Buildoff > Bike Build Threads