electric motor guru - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Technical Section > Electrical and Lights

Electrical and Lights Anything related to the fabrication of lights and other electrical components goes in here.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > electric motor guru

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-23-2019, 04:31 AM   #1
titan
hooligan quads

CF Addict
titan's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 09:01 AM
Flip Offs: 3
Flipped Off 14 Times in 2 Posts
titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Fighter of the Month 
Default electric motor guru

I may be starting a new job soon. the job means a 70 mile commute one way, i have done this in a car and it takes about 2hrs, on a bike it takes about 1hr 20. i have been mulling over the idea of building an electric mountian/MX style bike. i wouldnt be using it all the time but figured it was a good range to give me the motivation to give this a go.

done a bit of research into motors and this seems to be about right sort of spec for the application. ( it what seems to be the style used in most motorbike Ebike, that dont use a hub motor)

https://www.miromax.lt/en/m-6/c-39/c...#photo_gallery

and using basic understanding of youtube i have gathered that at around 48v avg speed will be around 45mph ( at the engine ) i figured i need to achieve that as an avg speed for 2hrs to garentee me hitting the distance of the commute. so would probably need to run at more 72v.

here is where i get stuck.....
how do i work out what batteries would be best, 18650 vs flat cells (RC car style) and what batterys i need, also what configuration would i need them to be in to create the cells i require to achieve this??

plan is to take something like this

and make something like this, that can go around 45-50mph avg for 2hrs ....

ride it like you stole it

Customization not Restoration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Einstein
I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.
H Designs

2020 build off - build - chat
titan is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived titan!

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-23-2019, 09:34 AM   #2
929_adam
Eff Tee Pee
929_adam's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 10:01 AM
Flip Offs: 501
Flipped Off 166 Times in 132 Posts
929_adam is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!929_adam is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!929_adam is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!929_adam is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!929_adam is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!929_adam is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!929_adam is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!929_adam is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!929_adam is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!929_adam is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!929_adam is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Supporter of the Streetfighter Build for Charity 
Default Re: electric motor guru

Idk. Where’s Mike Kelly? He’s been building electric pedal bikes.

To me, someone who was enthused about and selling electric Dirtbikes, 45 mph for 2 hours sounds like a lot to ask. . . Altas could run that. Though they had a rather large power cell. They were max run time of 4 hours on the low power setting...and as low as under an hour in max power mode (doing Motos) .

Gavin Wayne Butts - Greencheezeeta - 10/5/83 - 9/8/09 RIP My Brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpls|cafe|racer
"Knowledge is knowing that you know nothing." That's a motto to live by. There's always someone out there better, more knowledgable, faster, etc. and you can always learn and improve...
AFF.COM
929_adam is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-23-2019, 10:06 AM   #3
tldave
CF Addict
tldave's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 5
Flipped Off 71 Times in 42 Posts
tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

push trailers are how you carry more go juice and not bog down your vehicle. don't know if that would work. I have tons of treadmill motors if those would work for you.
tldave is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived tldave!

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-23-2019, 11:08 AM   #4
Junkie
re-tarded
CF Addict
Junkie's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 06:01 AM
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
Junkie is a splendid one to beholdJunkie is a splendid one to beholdJunkie is a splendid one to beholdJunkie is a splendid one to beholdJunkie is a splendid one to beholdJunkie is a splendid one to beholdJunkie is a splendid one to beholdJunkie is a splendid one to beholdJunkie is a splendid one to beholdJunkie is a splendid one to beholdJunkie is a splendid one to behold
Fighter of the Month 

I imagine you'd need a full size electric motorcycle to get that sorta range

A steering damper dampens steering oscillations. If it starts to leak, it may become a steering dampener. There's no such thing as a dampner.

Bikes: naked SV1000 with all the possible bling, FE570, FS570, 450XCF SM trackbike
Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived Junkie!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-23-2019, 03:21 PM   #5
Mattson
Stressed Member
Mattson's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 05:01 PM
Flip Offs: 25
Flipped Off 34 Times in 22 Posts
Mattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympus
Fighter of the Month 

The battery pack would be huge weigh a ton and cost two... And the end result would not be an ebike but a speed pedelec that will need to be registered as a motor vehicle and insured and taxed accordingly, plus riding one will require you to use a motorbike helmet, not to mention it would not be permitted on bicycle lanes as it would be seen as an electric motorbike.

Say you're using [email protected], that's 13.8A. https://m.aliexpress.com/item/400004...chweb201603_60

For example using these cells you need 23 of these to reach 73.6v, that gives you 24Ah which would give you an hour and a half-ish of full tilt, that pack would cost 455€ and weigh over twelve kilos, wiring BMS and casing not included. On top of that you need the motor the controller all the throttles displays and whatnot you're reaching motorbike money in no time flat, not to mention you'd need to recharge it at both ends so you'd either need an onboard charger that's another space drain and an extra lump to carry around, or two chargers and they're not cheap.

I've lusted over sth like this for years just to arse around the backyard forest but the cost is just too high.

Oh and most definitely use a hub motor that's a looot easier since you don't need to allocate space for it and you don't have to worry about busting a chain, if a bit more expensive though

Bashan BS200-S7 '07 Street Quad
Ex: Benelli Tornado 900 '06
Ex:Triumph Daytona 955i DSSA '02
Ex:Honda CBR 600 F2 '91
Mattson is online now   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived Mattson!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-23-2019, 04:36 PM   #6
a_morti
GURU

CF Addict
Local Time: 04:01 PM
Flip Offs: 24
Flipped Off 24 Times in 14 Posts
a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

What Matty said... It's in no way an electric bicycle if it'll do what you need it to. It's a home made electric motorbike.

Basing it off a bicycle frame also doesn't sound like a great plan. Bicycle brake pads and going to last you like a week, if the discs hold out for that long. Bicycle forks, even good ones, typically have plastic bushings, which aren't going to last long. By the time you paid for a durable enough bike, might as well get a motorcycle for the duty. Given the speed you're planning for, anything from 125 up will be suited. That 125 off roader you were messing with a while back would do it, for example.

Edit: just zoomed in n saw you want to use a rigid bike. Not even a front suspension, at 45mph? I'd say dude YouTube it, but that sounds like a snuff movie.

Aaron, living in Gibraltar and riding a 2014 MSX125 (Grom) with a bunch of shiny shite on it. Slow n loud!
a_morti is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-23-2019, 04:58 PM   #7
titan
hooligan quads

CF Addict
titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Fighter of the Month 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkie View Post
I imagine you'd need a full size electric motorcycle to get that sorta range
most electric bike are only just pushing that range but if i can keep the weight down.... most city cars are just about pushing 100miles on pure electric (zoe, smart etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattson View Post
The battery pack would be huge weigh a ton and cost two... And the end result would not be an ebike but a speed pedelec that will need to be registered as a motor vehicle and insured and taxed accordingly, plus riding one will require you to use a motorbike helmet, not to mention it would not be permitted on bicycle lanes as it would be seen as an electric motorbike.

Say you're using [email protected], that's 13.8A. https://m.aliexpress.com/item/400004...chweb201603_60

For example using these cells you need 23 of these to reach 73.6v, that gives you 24Ah which would give you an hour and a half-ish of full tilt, that pack would cost 455€ and weigh over twelve kilos, wiring BMS and casing not included. On top of that you need the motor the controller all the throttles displays and whatnot you're reaching motorbike money in no time flat, not to mention you'd need to recharge it at both ends so you'd either need an onboard charger that's another space drain and an extra lump to carry around, or two chargers and they're not cheap.

I've lusted over sth like this for years just to arse around the backyard forest but the cost is just too high.

Oh and most definitely use a hub motor that's a looot easier since you don't need to allocate space for it and you don't have to worry about busting a chain, if a bit more expensive though
weight of 18650 would save me about 100g over that (roughly for the same AH and v but more indervidual batterys) so a total of 2.3kg over the 23 (using my simple math), i can 3d print holders to put the batterys in multiple places rather than one large single bank. i been reading about raspberry pi as a BMS and they are tiny (if i use a Zero) although it would mean a good amount of coding and thats not my strong point, also they have minimal drain with just a plug in display for testing, use LED idoit lights style indicators on the bike.

need to have a better look at hub motor

it early days yets lots more reserch needed before i pull the pin and spend money. so far i think £2k is close to a sensible budget, but that still £2k less than anything you can buy worth spending money on.

i may be shooting for the stars with the range and avg speed (less important over distance really) but got to have a goal. i think just getting one to move under its own system is the best approach, then take it from there.

Quote:
I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.
H Designs

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-23-2019, 05:26 PM   #8
Junkie
re-tarded
CF Addict
Junkie's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 06:01 AM
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
Junkie is a splendid one to beholdJunkie is a splendid one to beholdJunkie is a splendid one to beholdJunkie is a splendid one to beholdJunkie is a splendid one to beholdJunkie is a splendid one to beholdJunkie is a splendid one to beholdJunkie is a splendid one to beholdJunkie is a splendid one to beholdJunkie is a splendid one to beholdJunkie is a splendid one to behold
Fighter of the Month 

riding along at 50mph I bet 90% of drag is aero rather than rolling friction

A steering damper dampens steering oscillations. If it starts to leak, it may become a steering dampener. There's no such thing as a dampner.

Bikes: naked SV1000 with all the possible bling, FE570, FS570, 450XCF SM trackbike
Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived Junkie!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-23-2019, 05:43 PM   #9
titan
hooligan quads

CF Addict
Fighter of the Month 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkie View Post
riding along at 50mph I bet 90% of drag is aero rather than rolling friction
good point had not considered that

Quote:
H Designs

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-23-2019, 06:21 PM   #10
a_morti
GURU

CF Addict
Local Time: 04:01 PM
Flip Offs: 24
Flipped Off 24 Times in 14 Posts
a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

That's why, as dorky as they look, recumbent bikes are way faster than regular bikes.

Aaron, living in Gibraltar and riding a 2014 MSX125 (Grom) with a bunch of shiny shite on it. Slow n loud!
a_morti is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Technical Section > Electrical and Lights