Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

Drilling for Risers

3K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  remfanuk 
#1 ·
I have a ZXR 750 top yoke that I want to drill for bar risers for some superbike bars in the future and I want to make sure I drill in the right place.
From what i have read and seen on the net it would appear that drilling through the original clipons locating screw holes is fine...is that correct?
I also have a slab type top yoke that i have no idea of its provenence but it is already drilled...do the drilled areas look to be in safe places that arent going to fail? Many thanks.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

See less See more
#3 ·
Ah, ok. that's probably what someone did to it as it's rough around the edges. I wouldn't trust it so it will be going in the bin.

I have seen clipon holes like this used before...the only thing is that the actual riser will poke over the edge of the yoke. Directly under those holes (in the top photo) there is a chunky bit of metal...might that be a suitable hole for the riser mounts? Thanks.

#6 ·
this is what some guy in Oz did...

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/showthread.php?24434-1994-zxr-750

essentially some ally offcuts slid into the underside pockets to give more metal to grip to for the riser bolt. I can see the logic behind this but the yoke is still very thin where this guy drilled through. plus, the photo seems to show the risers set back neatly but his risers are not offset and his drilled hole was closer to one edge than the other.

#8 ·
Really? My biggest concern is a single M10 or M12 holding the bars on the yoke. Although I certainly do not wish to die...I reckon a billet slab machined right would be expensive. I presume the risers would be machined out of the billet so they and the yoke are one piece?

Yantosh...how much would a custom yoke as described above run for please mate?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.