Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

Buell XB12Scg 2009

46K views 74 replies 29 participants last post by  rex_saugerty 
#1 ·
OK, here is my project. I bought this 2009 Buell XB12Scg Lighting last spring once I've got my driver license. This is my first motorcycle and my first vehicle at the same time.

This is the current condition of the motorcycle:

Stock Buell XB Lighting looks pretty aggressive, but I decided to give it even more streetfighter look.

List of changes:
-Side bar mirrors
-K&N air and oil filters
-Knight Design foot levers
-Scorpio alarm system
-240 mm rear wheel
-Chain conversion
-Motogadget M-Lock
-Motogadget Motoscope mini and Motosigh mini
-LSL Urban Headlight
-R&G turn signals
-Highway foot pegs
-Chopped tail with LED strip integrated turn signals.

So first of all I eliminated the stock mirrors and installed side bar mirrors. I use cheap side bar mirrors ( these ) and they work very well. The only issue is the bar inside diameter slightly bigger then the mirrors fixtures diameter, so I installed shims made of plastic bottle.

The next thing I've done is fender eliminator. I bought the same Buell XB fender eliminator kit like this one . There is a lot of different Buell fender eliminator kits with different styles you can find in the Internet.

Then I bought and installed the new brake pedal and shift pedal. The only reason I did it is the stock shift pedal rubber boot had a crack so I decided to install custom pedals without rubber pieces. These guys made the foot levers for me.

See less See more
#2 ·
The next huge step was 240 mm rear wheel conversion. Buell XB has a swingarm which fits to 240 wheel like gloves. But the problem is that Buell XB uses wide belt instead chain, so you can't install 240 rear wheel and keep the belt at the same time without the swingarm weldup. So the only way to install 240 mm rear wheel on Buell XB without heavy swingarm modifications is make a chain conversion and install 520 chain. You can find all necessary information about 240 rear wheel conversion fot Buell using this link .

Here is a few pictures of the process:

The stock Buell rear wheel rim prepared for weldup

The widened rim after welding

The rim and the 240 mm tire

Comparing the new rim and the stock Buell 180 mm rear wheel

The rim after powdercoating

#3 ·
I took all necessary measurements and created the SolidWorks CAD model with special parts (spacers, custom sprockets with offset, etc) and created drawings for all these custom parts

Then I sent the CAD files and the drawings to different places (motorcycle sprockets workshops and another machine shops) and ordered the parts.

Here is the home made 240 mm conversion kit :)

Here is a few pictures of installation process. After an unsuccessful trying to install the 240 tire by levers I clarified than the best way to install the tire without special tool is long plastic zip ties, no levers, no rim protectors, no brute force, no any tools, just freaking zip ties and 10 minutes!

Notching the swingarm for the chain and the sprocket screws routes.

I have two rear sprockets, the firs one is custom sprocket with offset made of aircraft duralumin, the second one is flat steel sprocket. I decided to use the flat sprocket with the spacer.

#4 ·
Then I lowered my windscreen.

I bought a new white windscreen

Then taken some plastic plugs and super glue

Then glued these plugs in the old holes

Then made new holes to make the new windscreen lower and covered it by blue Plastidip with Metalizer and Glossifier and installed the windscreen

#5 ·
But a few weeks ago I had seen a picture with Buell and installed LSL Urban headlight and it looks awesome. So I decided to eliminate the Buell headlight and instrument cluster and install the LSL headlight with motoscope mini and M-lock. I've already ordered the parts and I'm waiting delivery. Here is a picture of a Buell with LSL headlight. Not mine, just for example.

#7 ·
I'll give you $50 for the stock headlight, shipped to CT... :D

And

<---------- in before "whiplash"....

And

Really looking good, normally wide tires aren't my thing but that 240 looks good on there...

#10 ·
I sent my wheel to the Kosman

Here are the sizes for Buell XB for 240/40ZR-18 tire

I payed about 600$ . If you are going to have a deal with Kosman I highly recommend you make a phone call before you decide to send them your wheel, it looks like Kosman does not exist anymore, now it is "SK Danger Wheels" and they have new address and new owner. I was waiting my wheel back about 3 months.

As I know Rimspec guys can weldup motorcycle wheels too. A guy from the BuellXB forum payed about 550$ for weldup his Buell rear wheel and about 200$ for powdercoating and polishing works last summer.

Here is an example of a widened rim RimSpec guys made

#20 ·
That's an awesome chain swap. Engineer by trade?

#22 ·
Good to see what we do actually get put to work! I'm currently a senior in mechanical engineering :D

#23 ·
Funny story, kinda related...

I was doing a job at an engineer's house. He was in the kitchen for 45 minutes applying three stick on numbers to his new mailbox. After he "finished" he saw me and asked, "Do those numbers look straight to you?" To which I replied, "Well... I think that. Sure they seem pretty straight from here." :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.