Easiest motorswap for a 2002 b6 - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Technical Section > Street Fighter Swaps

Street Fighter Swaps From Fork Swaps to Swing Arm Swaps

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Easiest motorswap for a 2002 b6

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 07-31-2019, 11:39 PM   #1
onesight1
GURU
Fighterer
onesight1's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 05:12 PM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
onesight1 has much to be proud ofonesight1 has much to be proud ofonesight1 has much to be proud ofonesight1 has much to be proud ofonesight1 has much to be proud ofonesight1 has much to be proud ofonesight1 has much to be proud ofonesight1 has much to be proud ofonesight1 has much to be proud ofonesight1 has much to be proud ofonesight1 has much to be proud of
Fighter of the Month 
Default Easiest motorswap for a 2002 b6

Hey guys, its been a while since i've posted on the site but I definitely am going to revive my tired B6, properly.

The motor works (not sure mileage but cant be more than 15-20K without any real maintance aside carb cleaning and oil changes- im probably due for shit), but for the entire life that i've had the bandit- the carbs have always been subpar. I dont know what im doing wrong, but they have always been very tempertmental.

Im entertaining the idea of a full motor swap to something fresher ( at elevation, the lack of HP kinda sucks too with a passenger )

I am still in an apartment garage since moving to Denver, but I think I've only ever really used hand tools on the bikes anyways.

Taking it apart for a full clean/degrease and getting things painted the right way ( no more plastidip nonsense )

Also plan on some knobby tires on painted copper/bronze/goldish wheels to add to the gloss/satin black scheme of the bike im going for

My first bike and on-going build: http://www.customfighters.com/forums...ad.php?t=65683
onesight1 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-01-2019, 01:48 AM   #2
yantosh

yantosh's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 10:12 PM
Flip Offs: 13
Flipped Off 18 Times in 16 Posts
yantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on here
Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Winter Buildoff Winner Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month 
Default Re: Easiest motorswap for a 2002 b6

B12 motor
yantosh is online now   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived yantosh!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-01-2019, 03:00 AM   #3
370steve
old fart

CF Pimp
370steve's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 22
Flipped Off 34 Times in 7 Posts
370steve is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!370steve is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!370steve is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!370steve is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!370steve is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!370steve is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!370steve is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!370steve is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!370steve is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!370steve is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!370steve is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Winter Buildoff Winner Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yantosh View Post
B12 motor
or GSXR750-GSXR1100

SHIT HAPPENS!!!!!
370steve is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-01-2019, 06:50 AM   #4
onesight1
GURU
Fighterer
onesight1 has much to be proud ofonesight1 has much to be proud ofonesight1 has much to be proud ofonesight1 has much to be proud ofonesight1 has much to be proud ofonesight1 has much to be proud ofonesight1 has much to be proud ofonesight1 has much to be proud ofonesight1 has much to be proud ofonesight1 has much to be proud ofonesight1 has much to be proud of
Fighter of the Month 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yantosh View Post
B12 motor
from your experience whats the best way to go about doing this? I know this is a loaded question and I'll definitely try searching. I've never really attempted a motor swap but I'm sure with this site I'll be able to.

A long time ago I took a look at this swap and if i recall correctly... i'd need... the entire motor, carbs, and a modification of....the oil pan?

If you know any thread I may have missed , or could use.... see if you can post it here for me ( if its no trouble )

also, those who do old motor swaps... would it be smarter to find a whole bike? ... or are motors easy to come across. Any quick tips so i can mentally prepare?

My first bike and on-going build: http://www.customfighters.com/forums...ad.php?t=65683
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-01-2019, 06:51 AM   #5
onesight1
GURU
Fighterer
Fighter of the Month 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 370steve View Post
or GSXR750-GSXR1100
What years? And is there any challenging modification i'd need to overcome? I dont have access to any friends who are machinists at the moment so I dont know how (aside from maybe someone on this site) who would entertain fabbing things... like motor mounts or whatever. This is all new to me

i wish there was a way to be done and over with 4 fucking carbs :*( the b6 has traumatized me with how temperamental they have been

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-01-2019, 07:24 AM   #6
yantosh

yantosh's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 13
Flipped Off 18 Times in 16 Posts
yantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on here
Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Winter Buildoff Winner Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month 

all the oil cooled motors are much the same, GSXR are getting old tho, I'd go for an engine, carbs, electrics, swap the lot. use ram air foam filters on the standard airbox rubbers. sumps only swap to suit diff model exhausts, just get pipes that fit, standards ones are restrictive and heavy tho . Machining wise, prob need to drill out the bottom rear engine bolt hole on frame to 12mm
yantosh is online now   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-01-2019, 07:25 AM   #7
a_morti
GURU

CF Addict
Local Time: 11:12 PM
Flip Offs: 24
Flipped Off 24 Times in 14 Posts
a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

If the problem is really just the carbs, why not replace them? Or maybe it's the o rings on the inlet stubs or the carb rubbers on the stubs, or the carbs need a clean and balance, etc.,

Maybe it's even in need of new plugs by now, or the coils are failing.

Being as you're a mile above sea level, you may also find the bike is just jetted too fat. That's a long way up.

Nothing against an engine swap (I'd be on the wrong site) but it's a long way to go around a potentially simple carb issue.

Quote:
those who do old motor swaps... would it be smarter to find a whole bike?
Yes it would. One which works, has a title, and can just be ridden. Ideally,for your elevation, it'll have efi.

Aaron, living in Gibraltar and riding a 2014 MSX125 (Grom) with a bunch of shiny shite on it. Slow n loud!
a_morti is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-01-2019, 08:45 AM   #8
370steve
old fart

CF Pimp
370steve's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 22
Flipped Off 34 Times in 7 Posts
370steve is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!370steve is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!370steve is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!370steve is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!370steve is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!370steve is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!370steve is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!370steve is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!370steve is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!370steve is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!370steve is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Winter Buildoff Winner Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month 

/\/\/\ what they both said

SHIT HAPPENS!!!!!
370steve is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-01-2019, 09:08 PM   #9
onesight1
GURU
Fighterer
Fighter of the Month 

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_morti View Post
If the problem is really just the carbs, why not replace them? Or maybe it's the o rings on the inlet stubs or the carb rubbers on the stubs, or the carbs need a clean and balance, etc.,

Maybe it's even in need of new plugs by now, or the coils are failing.

Being as you're a mile above sea level, you may also find the bike is just jetted too fat. That's a long way up.

Nothing against an engine swap (I'd be on the wrong site) but it's a long way to go around a potentially simple carb issue.

Yes it would. One which works, has a title, and can just be ridden. Ideally,for your elevation, it'll have efi.

So im going to pull them off and replace everything pretty much.... on ebay they sell these kits- looks about right?

after cleaning everything and and replacing the above, I'll look into tuning the carbs... i saw my friend do it once with a homemade balancer... im certain I can be walked through it, i hope.

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-02-2019, 12:02 AM   #10
a_morti
GURU

CF Addict
Local Time: 11:12 PM
Flip Offs: 24
Flipped Off 24 Times in 14 Posts
a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

Depends what the fault is. The kit you've linked there looks like it would be meant for fixing a leaky carb bowl. The air screw and seal might solve a poor idle. If yours are faulty.

Get it running, then spray easy start around the intake manifolds. Where they meet each carb and where they meet the block. See if the revs increase. First guess on a bad idle is unmetered air getting in the engine. Also cheap to fix.

Aaron, living in Gibraltar and riding a 2014 MSX125 (Grom) with a bunch of shiny shite on it. Slow n loud!
a_morti is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Technical Section > Street Fighter Swaps