Anyone here have experience with the 8.1 chevy? - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Off Topic > Open Discussion > Cage-Fighters

Cage-Fighters Got a 4-wheel fiend as well? Let's see them cars and trucks!

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Anyone here have experience with the 8.1 chevy?

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-31-2019, 09:58 AM   #1
tldave
CF Addict
tldave's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 05:36 PM
Flip Offs: 5
Flipped Off 71 Times in 42 Posts
tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Default Anyone here have experience with the 8.1 chevy?

Buddy hookin me up with a bangin deal on a rgsb 8.1 2500 4x4 with the allison, 44k miles, for 5k$, with working plow. new tires, all new brake system, etc etc. needs small shit. I am pumped for a real-ish truck that can move real shit. What the fuck should I expect out of this thing? I am guessing 8mpg and it can pull stumps and move whatever I need it to. Should I chip/tune it? It has iron heads, go with after market, exhaust, and then tune? they asplode when you fuck withem?
tldave is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-31-2019, 10:07 PM   #2
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
shinyribs's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 58
Flipped Off 117 Times in 104 Posts
shinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too much
Fighter of the Month 
Default Re: Anyone here have experience with the 8.1 chevy?

It's a big block Chevy, and the strongest version of them. Block strength wise, not hp wise. I've made over 1k hp on stock big block bottom ends, provided you use quality rods. So, no. You're not gonna asplode anything.

No clue what mpg it will get. Rather than go nuts with heads and such, BBCs always respond well to boost. A small roots blower run at low boost will give Stoopid torque on stock parts as long as you run good gas and keep the rpms low. And a small blower is a bolt on deal and much cheaper than going inside the motor and dropping on ally heads.

Been a while since I was in that scene, but Weiand used to make a 244 or 277 size kit that worked very well. Lots of guys I raced with used them on their tow rigs. Not gonna outrun any muscle cars, but it'll put a diesel to shame.
shinyribs is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived shinyribs!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-02-2019, 04:29 AM   #3
rex_saugerty
V four honda whore
rex_saugerty's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 12:36 AM
Flip Offs: 3
Flipped Off 39 Times in 38 Posts
rex_saugerty sits atop olympusrex_saugerty sits atop olympusrex_saugerty sits atop olympusrex_saugerty sits atop olympusrex_saugerty sits atop olympusrex_saugerty sits atop olympusrex_saugerty sits atop olympusrex_saugerty sits atop olympusrex_saugerty sits atop olympusrex_saugerty sits atop olympusrex_saugerty sits atop olympus
Fighter of the Month 

BBC as in big black cock?

1-0-1-1-0-1-0-0-1-0-1-1-0-1-0-0-1-0-1-1-0-1-0-0-1-0-1-1-0-1-0-0-1-0-1-1-0-1-0-0-1-0-1-1-0-1-0-0
rex_saugerty is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-02-2019, 10:33 AM   #4
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
shinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too much
Fighter of the Month 

tsk tsk....

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-12-2019, 03:43 AM   #5
tldave
CF Addict
tldave's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 5
Flipped Off 71 Times in 42 Posts
tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

cant wait to get this fucker. thanks for the info
tldave is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-12-2019, 12:19 PM   #6
Junkie
re-tarded
CF Addict
Junkie's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 02:36 PM
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
Junkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to all
Fighter of the Month 

they're BBCs in the same sense as LSs are SBCs. IIRC parts don't interchange.

they're good engines but limited aftermarket.

A steering damper dampens steering oscillations. If it starts to leak, it may become a steering dampener. There's no such thing as a dampner.

Bikes: naked SV1000 with all the possible bling, FE570, FS570, 450XCF SM trackbike
Junkie is online now   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-12-2019, 05:24 PM   #7
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
Fighter of the Month 

The cranks are different as they went to a one piece rear main seal. The heads are different as they moved so water jackets slightly to accommodate the larger bored.

Otherwise, it's the same architecture.

The LS engines are a clean slate build when compared to a traditional small block. The 502 big block is just a slightly modified big block, but still a BBC <- just for you Rex
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-17-2019, 10:07 AM   #8
Junkie
re-tarded
CF Addict
Junkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to all
Fighter of the Month 

The 502 is mostly a traditional big block, yes. 4.47 bore, 4.00 stroke.

The 8.1 as found in various production vehicles isn't a 502: it's a 496. 4.25 bore, 4.37 stroke, matching a stroked 454. It's also a metric engine and has a different firing order than a traditional BBC.

Maybe there are some parts that swap between traditional BBCs and 8.1s, I don't know what though.

A steering damper dampens steering oscillations. If it starts to leak, it may become a steering dampener. There's no such thing as a dampner.

Bikes: naked SV1000 with all the possible bling, FE570, FS570, 450XCF SM trackbike
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-17-2019, 11:02 PM   #9
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
Fighter of the Month 

I thought we were taking about 502's, which are also referred to as 8.1's. I have no experience with the new 496 engines. That's my bad.

What year is the truck and which 8.1 are we talking about?
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-18-2019, 05:00 PM   #10
Junkie
re-tarded
CF Addict
Fighter of the Month 

I realized an issue with the original post: I don't believe Chevy has ever made a regular cab short bed 3/4 ton. I assume that's what he meant...

given that it's a plow truck I assumed (yes) that it isn't ancient, and the Vortec 8100 came in front of an Allison like he says in 3/4 tons, which is another part of why I assumed we're dealing with that setup. That was 01-07 I believe.

This user High Fived Junkie!

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Off Topic > Open Discussion > Cage-Fighters