Shiny's adventure with dirtbikes - Page 55 - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Non-Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Dirty Tards & Minis

Dirty Tards & Minis Everything about dirtbikes, motards and minis goes in here!

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Shiny's adventure with dirtbikes

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-11-2019, 11:41 PM   #541
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
shinyribs's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 04:45 PM
Flip Offs: 58
Flipped Off 117 Times in 104 Posts
shinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too much
Fighter of the Month 
Default Re: Shiny's adventure with dirtbikes

Good discussion guys. Thank you. I didn't contact Cyclops yet, but all this sounds plausible to me. I'm used to the flickering at idle and don't really care, I just want the LED to live.

Made the pattern for the upper mount, which seemed to be mocking me with the "loser" sign.

Everything ready for powder, but I ran out of steam. Hopefully finish tomorrow evening.

shinyribs is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived shinyribs!

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-12-2019, 10:05 AM   #542
Junkie
re-tarded
CF Addict
Junkie's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 01:45 PM
Flip Offs: 3
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
Junkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to all
Fighter of the Month 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry02ACR View Post
It's much more complicated then that. And while the average cycle would be zero voltage, that's not how AC is measured.

I find it's easiest to think of a capacitor as a tiny battery that charges and discharges very fast.

Assuming the capacitor is matched to the peak voltage (we'll assume 12v), then when the current starts to ramp from say 0v to 12v, the capacitor is going to be charging and not adding anything to the current.

As soon as the current passes peak and starts dropping back to 0v, the capacitor is going to discharge it's stored energy.

It will then do the same thing going from 0v to -12v, only on the other side of the plate inside the capacitor.

It would basically fill in the after peak "valleys" of the sine wave as it discharges, but it gets messy because the capacitor takes some small amount of time to charge and discharge.
I'm aware that AC is generally measured as RMS.

I don't see how your description is any different than mine. "Try" doesn't mean succeed.

Are you saying that a capacitor on an AC system will do something productive? It'll reduce voltage when on the upslope (as I said, when you first start adding it'll suck it up) and increase voltage on the downslope (as I said, when you first start reducing it spits it back out).

I could see it turning an ugly wave into a better looking wave but that's about it.

I've never seen a battery on an AC system either.

A steering damper dampens steering oscillations. If it starts to leak, it may become a steering dampener. There's no such thing as a dampner.

Bikes: naked SV1000 with all the possible bling, FE570, FS570, 450XCF SM trackbike
Junkie is online now   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-12-2019, 02:49 PM   #543
Larry02ACR
Fighter
Larry02ACR's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 03:45 PM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 1 Time in 1 Post
Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Fighter of the Month 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkie View Post
I don't see how your description is any different than mine. "Try" doesn't mean succeed.

Are you saying that a capacitor on an AC system will do something productive?
It's not different, it's just an easier way for me to think about how capacitors work. I wasn't saying you are wrong, just an alternative way to look at it. Not sure what you are talking about with the, ""Try' doesn't mean succeed."

Of course capacitors on an A/C system can do something "productive."

Maybe not necessarily additive, but productive, certainly.
Larry02ACR is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-12-2019, 03:09 PM   #544
Junkie
re-tarded
CF Addict
Junkie's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 3
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
Junkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to all
Fighter of the Month 

I said they'd try and make the voltage 0, I figured that's what you were objecting to

they can smooth out the waveform, that's about it, and I doubt a crappy waveform is why it flickers. it's probably because the headlight is designed around more typical charging systems with significantly more poles on the stator, and therefore higher frequency, rather than the 2 pole stator and resultant low frequency AC

A steering damper dampens steering oscillations. If it starts to leak, it may become a steering dampener. There's no such thing as a dampner.

Bikes: naked SV1000 with all the possible bling, FE570, FS570, 450XCF SM trackbike
Junkie is online now   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-12-2019, 03:48 PM   #545
Larry02ACR
Fighter
Larry02ACR's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 1 Time in 1 Post
Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Fighter of the Month 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkie View Post
I said they'd try and make the voltage 0, I figured that's what you were objecting to

they can smooth out the waveform, that's about it, and I doubt a crappy waveform is why it flickers. it's probably because the headlight is designed around more typical charging systems with significantly more poles on the stator, and therefore higher frequency, rather than the 2 pole stator and resultant low frequency AC
Capacitors can be used for several different purposes, and wave smoothing is probably one of the more common ones. Filtering unwanted frequencies is another, such as in audio systems.

I don't know enough about those old Hondas to know if they have rectifiers, but if they don't and it's feeding AC current to a LED headlamp, it's going to flicker because LEDs only allow current to pass in one direction.

The faster the bike revs, the faster the flickering, and probably less noticable than when at idle. Incandescents don't have this problem because they don't care if the voltage is positive or negative. They just heat up with the flow...

You may know this, I'm just adding it to the general conversation for people who don't mess around with electronics much.
Larry02ACR is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-12-2019, 05:17 PM   #546
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
shinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too much
Fighter of the Month 

The two poles are split on this bike. Both poles produce AC, as always.

The pole feeding the headlight is regulated, but not rectified. But one of the little black boxes in the headlight harness is a stand-alone, plug and play rectifier that Cyclops makes just for situations like this.

The pole that feeds the rest of the bike is rectified since the bike carried a battery in stock form. I'm simply using that pole to power the tail light separately from the head light as activating the brake light caused the headlight to dim ( with incandescent). I'm not running blinkers, a horn or worried about the tail light burning with the key on, so I'm pared down to basic dirt bike wiring at this point. The only thing running on the 2nd pole is the tail lamp and brake switches.

The ignition is a magnet triggered CDI that also stands alone from the other poles. It's weirdly complex while being so basic.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-12-2019, 09:01 PM   #547
Casper
The friendly Ghost.
Casper's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 188
Flipped Off 34 Times in 28 Posts
Casper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympus
Fighter of the Month 

Thinking about the XL stator and its two pole AC current, you can use an inductor to manipulate the peaks on one pole to a 90 phase and then rectify the current through both poles to get decent 4 DC peaks per revolution and then run a capacitor smooth out the tops and lift the valleys into a regulator to save the LEDs on both of the lights using the same circuit.

(Pixies are not my strong suit, but this made sense to me...)

Alternatively, you can try to install an XR stator with the other half of the windings added into the XL case.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-12-2019, 10:24 PM   #548
beezwiz
GURU
CF Addict
beezwiz's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 7
Flipped Off 14 Times in 8 Posts
beezwiz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!beezwiz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!beezwiz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!beezwiz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!beezwiz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!beezwiz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!beezwiz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!beezwiz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!beezwiz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!beezwiz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!beezwiz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

Hey Eric!
The scar on the hand looks like it healed well!

Take care.
Beez.

And I looked and behold a pale horse. And the rider's name was Death.
beezwiz is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-13-2019, 12:03 AM   #549
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
Fighter of the Month 

Quote:
Originally Posted by beezwiz View Post
Hey Eric!
The scar on the hand looks like it healed well!

Take care.
Beez.
Hey Beez. Two fingers are still pretty much numb. It's weird. I can feel cold things, but it feels like running water. I can't really feel hot things at all. A few weeks ago a buddy was trying to unscrew some spark plugs from his Ironhead, but they were too hot to touch. Being a smart aleck, I unscrewed them with my numb fingers and held them out to him. He wouldn't take them. " What the heck, those things are scalding hot!". Nerve damage silver lining! Always gotta look for the positive angle
This user High Fived shinyribs!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-13-2019, 12:09 AM   #550
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
Fighter of the Month 

Went with black wrinkle on the light mounts and stuck with semi gloss on the levers.

Remember that helmet I trashed hitting that deer? This was one of the washers that held the visor on. Held on to them thinking they looked cool, and it made for a nice touch here. Wow, that's a bad picture, but you get the idea.

Wiring is a mess and needs to be worked on to tuck away. No bucket to hide it all in.

Big light!

Pic doesn't do it justice, but that tree line is about 300' away and quite visible in reality. Always loved how this setup lit up the sides of the road on the XR. Happy to have it on this bike now.

These people High Fived shinyribs!

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Non-Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Dirty Tards & Minis