Converting a piggyback shock in to a remote reservoir? - Page 4 - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Technical Section > Brakes and Suspension

Brakes and Suspension Anything to do with fabricating and modifying brakes and suspension goes in here.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Converting a piggyback shock in to a remote reservoir?

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-30-2017, 08:02 PM   #31
imsolidstate
GURU
Senior Fighterer
Local Time: 07:35 PM
Flip Offs: 5
Flipped Off 1 Time in 1 Post
imsolidstate is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!imsolidstate is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!imsolidstate is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!imsolidstate is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!imsolidstate is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!imsolidstate is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!imsolidstate is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!imsolidstate is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!imsolidstate is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!imsolidstate is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!imsolidstate is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Default Re: Converting a piggyback shock in to a remote reservoir?

I'd do it. That's what this place is about anyway.

The volume of gas is so small there won't be an explosion really, more like a popping bicycle tire. And it's just damping, so even if it does fail it's not like you'll die. Your ride will get springy.

Only thing I would caution is getting the oil fill correct since you are changing the overall volume. The whole point of a remote reservoir is to give you more oil volume which helps cooling and prevents foaming at the valves/piston. Nitrogen fill will be the same but you need to add oil to compensate for your added lines.
imsolidstate is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived imsolidstate!

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-31-2017, 06:48 PM   #32
a_morti
GURU

CF Addict
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 03:35 AM
Flip Offs: 24
Flipped Off 24 Times in 14 Posts
a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

I love this place and it's "fuck it, why not?" attitude

Aaron, living in Gibraltar and riding a 2014 MSX125 (Grom) with a bunch of shiny shite on it. Slow n loud!
a_morti is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived a_morti!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-01-2017, 01:35 AM   #33
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
shinyribs's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 09:35 PM
Flip Offs: 58
Flipped Off 117 Times in 104 Posts
shinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too much
Fighter of the Month 

Quote:
Originally Posted by imsolidstate View Post
I'd do it. That's what this place is about anyway.

The volume of gas is so small there won't be an explosion really, more like a popping bicycle tire. And it's just damping, so even if it does fail it's not like you'll die. Your ride will get springy.

Only thing I would caution is getting the oil fill correct since you are changing the overall volume. The whole point of a remote reservoir is to give you more oil volume which helps cooling and prevents foaming at the valves/piston. Nitrogen fill will be the same but you need to add oil to compensate for your added lines.
Yeah, the lines will add a bit of volume, but it will be minor. Not enough to really have any positive impact on performance. I've never fooled with one of these shocks before, but I reckon filling it would be like anything else. Keep topping it off with fluid and working the piston until there's no more air, then push the bladder in allowing some excess to overflow.

Speaking of cooling, I'm gonna have a tough time mounting the reservoir away from the engine. In fact, I'm most likely going to be building a bracket for it that will mount under some clutch cover bolts. Not ideal, but I hate seeing reservoirs hanging off the side of frame tubes. I don't like stabby protuberances hanging off the sides of my bikes. Then, the oil line is gonna be running under the throttle bodies. Just no way to get it away from the engine. I doubt insulating would even be worthwhile. For short track stints, maybe. Butfor riding hours at a time, no insulation is that good.

I am a bit nervous about filling the Nitrogen. It's such a small amount. I don't want to rupture the bladder. I have a high pressure hand operated air pump. I might give that a go just to see how the shock rides. If it seems like a keeper, then I'll lose the white trash air and put some high dollar nitrogen in it.

Nitrogen: It's what shock's crave.
shinyribs is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived shinyribs!

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-01-2017, 07:23 PM   #34
Racing Geek
lb/hp is what it's about!
Racing Geek's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 08:35 PM
Flip Offs: 168
Flipped Off 83 Times in 73 Posts
Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Scavenger Hunt 

If you put a schrader valve in the shock it would be super easy to put nitrogen in it from the start. I have nitrogen tanks for the track days and a bunch of regulators. Wouldn't be hard at all rig something up.
Racing Geek is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-01-2017, 07:40 PM   #35
Larry02ACR
Fighter
Larry02ACR's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 0
Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Fighter of the Month 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinyribs View Post
I am a bit nervous about filling the Nitrogen. It's such a small amount. I don't want to rupture the bladder. I have a high pressure hand operated air pump. I might give that a go just to see how the shock rides. If it seems like a keeper, then I'll lose the white trash air and put some high dollar nitrogen in it.

Nitrogen: It's what shock's crave.
You want a no loss chuck. The bladders on shocks are so tiny simply checking the pressure with a gauge drops the PSI in the bladder drastically.

I've rebuilt the shock in my dirt bike enough times I invested into a nitrogen set up. I think I've only got about $300 in it for the tank, regulator, and chuck. You should be able to get the chuck for under $120.

Most recent rebuild was some Asian market ZRX400 shocks I rebuilt with KX85 parts for my ZR550.

Larry02ACR is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived Larry02ACR!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-01-2017, 07:51 PM   #36
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
shinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too much
Fighter of the Month 

Um....can I borrow your chuck?

Thanks for the info, man. I'm thinking about investing in some bike specific fittings for this stuff. My HVAC hoses are obviously not right for all this. My XR4 goes through fork fluid like mad. I probably should servicing my rear shock just as often, but I've never touched it. If I'm gonna own a bunch of mono-shocked bikes it's pretty wasteful to no tool up. Where did you buy your parts?
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-01-2017, 08:54 PM   #37
Larry02ACR
Fighter
Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Fighter of the Month 

I got a small aluminum tank from a beverage company like this one:
http://www.beveragefactory.com/draft..._tank_22.shtml

I think got a regulator and chuch off eBay, simular to this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nitrogen-reg...EAAOxy9X5TZD~8

But you can get just the chuck if you already have a tank and regulator:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nitrogen-Reg...5UVYvS&vxp=mtr

Makes it pretty easy to charge them. I usually put 150psi in the bladders on my shocks (KYB), but I know some guys go up to 175 on the KTMs. The oil on the dirt bike shock gets pretty nasty because of the abuse it sees. You should be able to get a lot of miles out of a street bike shock though.

One of those small tanks will charge a metric shit ton of shocks, and I guess you could fill your tires as well...

If you don't plan on doing many refills, you can usually find a local dirt bike suspension tuner who will charge them for around $20. I just happen to be OCD about working on my own stuff, and I have a tool addiction.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-01-2017, 09:10 PM   #38
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
Fighter of the Month 

The idiots in my town charge $120 to charge a shock. The same thing they charge for a fluid change+ charge. It pisses me off. I'd gladly pay $20 for just a Nitrogen charge.

I found a Works brand no loss chuck on RMATV for $30-35 ( forgot already). Any good?
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-01-2017, 09:25 PM   #39
Larry02ACR
Fighter
Fighter of the Month 

As long the chuck attached to the regulator screws on, I don't see why that adapter wouldn't work. If it's just a press on like most air chucks, then it would be tricky to use.

On this chuck, the bottom screws on to the schrader valve of your shock, the part on the right side is attached to your regulator/nitrogen source, and the "T" handle on top opens and closes the chuck.

So you would screw it onto your shock, crank the T handle down (like the picture shows) and then set your regulator to 150psi and slowly open the tank valve.

Once the system is equalized, you would turn the T handle on the chuck out, which takes pressure of the shrader, closing it while the whole "system" is still effectively pressurized to whatever you set the regulator to. Then you can close the tank and unscrew the chuck from your shock.

Personally I'd get this one, and in fact I believe this is the seller I bought mine from:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/No-Loss-400-...-/221340497099

It has a bleed button in case you set your regulator a bit too high initially.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-01-2017, 10:18 PM   #40
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
Fighter of the Month 

Great info. Thank you!

You should hang out here more

I like the T handle style better than the one I saw at RMATV. Seems like it would create a better seal.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p...r-Loss-Adaptor
These people High Fived shinyribs!

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Technical Section > Brakes and Suspension