Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

Boneheads V-Tec deconstructive criticism

9K views 103 replies 17 participants last post by  bonehead 
#1 ·
Constructive, destructive, what ever, ..advice more than welcome

#14 ·
Great diversity makes for a great day.
That’s why I don’t spend much time on restoration sites.
I am glad those people are out there, for me too rigid a focus.
You have a great start, free to do as you please, looking forward to the journey.
Cheers, Zweihammer

#15 ·
What are your plans for front rotors? Only reason I ask are the 929/954 run 330mm rotors and I think the Vfr800 are 310(?). You planning to swap the frknt wheel to a Cbr one?

Later, Doug

#16 ·
Hey Doug,

I've put a complete CBR 929 front end on, triples, forks, brakes, and 3 spoke wheel, although I would prefer a wheel with more spokes because I think it will look better when painted white, but I haven't been able to find any information as to if any other wheels would fit.
The big CBR brakes are awesome, I have them on another bike.
Does anyone know what 5 spoke wheel would fit in CBR forks, I am not much of a cut, shim person, bearings yes.

#22 ·
Hi Morti A,
This is a Vtec bike so it already has cop coils, big dumb three wire non transferable, typical Honda.
I saw the small lithium anti gravity battery that sebspeed put in his 800 and even that currently would not fit.
I have the answer, .......build a subframe LARGE enough to house a battery

#26 ·
I did that to the back seat of a Mercedes for making a smugglers compartment for a Federale in Juarez back in the 90s.
Glad I got out of there when I did. I’m not even joking.

Oh, yeah, that’s a great idea!

#30 ·
I am surprised and pleased to be here so far doing this.

So a big shout out to all offering their advice and help so early into this project.....Thankyous
:party-smiley::party-smiley::party-smiley::party-smiley::party-smiley::party-smiley::party-smiley::party-smiley::party-smiley:

#32 ·
We're only allowed to upload so many pictures directly through the site. I forget how many, but it's not alot. I think 50? The best thing to do is to host your pics on another site and link them to here. Lots of use imgur since Photobucket went crazy. Imgur is free and pretty easy to use.

You can also click the paperclip icon for posting pics and add them to your post as an attachment.

#39 ·
That headlight looks good on the original bike it's off, a Honda Grom, but I don't like it
on my bike, reminds me of the big, ugly, top heavy Harley road glide headlights.

Still want to use the OEM speedo its triangular, like an arrow I'd like to find a pointy headlight that somehow fits.

Can't say that I've thought about shortening seat, I don't think so,
I'd like the long and lean look .

#48 ·
Hi Shiny, the foam wasn't too bad, had to glue bits of it together and put a few filler patches in, but I think a redo is in the future, stretched it to much, can see it eventually tearing
if I ever gonna be sitting on it.

Love your approach to fixing things that others (me) would just go and buy, lever, gas cap,
grab handles.....etc and your budget is another great effort

Showing a lot of ingenuity, and ability and practicality if you live in the sticks.:D

There is going to be some nice bikes come the end of winter..:rock:

#50 ·
Would love to know your source for the led strips you used, I have use for a white version.

A thin layer of cotton batting (1/4", fabric store) would cure the cottage cheese look of the seat if you decide to redo.

Lastly, saw your note on Yan's thread re: moving the ecu, if you need any pointers for supplies let me know, I shortened all the wires on the Warbird VFR ~18" to move it forward (99-01 model ecu was under rear of seat by taillight). I reused the harness plugs and grommets but purchased new crimps. Fun job...

#51 ·
Happy to try and help, all the different LED strips come from Ebay, tdr-motopro 1, colortop9, happyfish2012 has white LED but single spacing not the double spacing, figured if I get enough different types one would work, and ordered double just in case, they're only a dollar or two.

Will definitely look into the cotton batting next time with the seat, thanks.

A lot of work to reposition ECU, Honda's packaging for the undertail exhaust affected much of the electrics from the previous generation, as you know, 2 x 33 pin plugs and ECU mounted front right on these V-Tec, looking into chopping away the flapper section of airbox and mounting it there, drill another hole in the air box, Titans video showed his ECU mounted atop the airbox, under the tank.

Might reposition the fuse box under the seat, less wires.

Do many Build Off's actually finish ?, so much to do and usually at least twice, I can see why some roll over into the next year.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.