Back Burner ‘74 H1 - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes

Member Project Bikes Project progress threads of members streetfighters.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Back Burner ‘74 H1

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-16-2020, 04:59 PM   #1
Streetfighterkz
Capt Oblivious
CF Pimp
Streetfighterkz's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 06:36 AM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 11 Times in 7 Posts
Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Default Back Burner ‘74 H1

I bought this H1 several years ago from a former fellow CF’er.

If I can recall correctly, the original owner drag raced it in the 70’s until the big four cylinders started to win races. I believe it was parked in the early to mid-80’s. The bike has less than 10k miles.

It has H2 carbs and the J&R expansion chambers on it. I was able to look inside the exhaust ports and there is cross-hatching still visible on the cylinder walls. No idea if pistons are stock but the ports did not look to be modified (but I’m no 2-stroke expert). My plan is to go with a resto-mod sorta build.* I plan on keeping the frame stock but upgrade the suspension front and rear and go with some more modern tires on 18" spoke wheels.

How I bought it...

Some inspiration I've found over the web.

I've bought some pieces and parts over the last few years and did a few odd jobs on it here and there as the years passed.

2001 Zr7 front end

Buell 6-piston caliper

330mm Galfer wave rotor

Not shown is a Zepyhr 550 swingarm, a spare H1 rear rim, Kz1000 front rim and some 18"x3.5" and 18"x4.5" hoops.

More to follow in another post.

Later, Doug

‘74 Kawasaki H1-500 Project
‘76 Kawasaki Kz900 'Strip-fighter Project
‘77 Kawasaki Kz1000
‘78 Kawasaki Kz1000 Project
'80 Cx500 Cafe/Brat Project
‘83 Kawasaki Gpz750 (Turbo Converted) Project
Streetfighterkz is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived Streetfighterkz!

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-16-2020, 05:04 PM   #2
Streetfighterkz
Capt Oblivious
CF Pimp
Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Default Re: Back Burner ‘74 H1

Started piecing together the front end. I removed the steering stem from a spare H1 triple clamp.

I went ahead and grabbed the Sawz-All and cut the lower tree apart. From what I was told on a Kawasaki Triples site, the stem is friction welded in.

Chucked the remainder in my lathe.

And started turning it down....

And down until...

The root OD of the stem is 28.05mm with the bearing race being 30mm OD.

The Zr7 lower steering opening is 28mm with the H1 root OD being 28mm. I lucked out and no extra machining is required as even the length of the stem interfacing the triple clamp is good.

The top triple didn’t just fall into place as the Zr7 ID is 23.47mm and the H1..well, it’s not. I spun the stem around in the lathe and turned down the upper portion above the threads to 23.45mm.

That gave me a set of Zr7 triple clamps with a H1 stem.

I wasn’t happy with the extra features of the Zr7 triple (the ignition switch mount and headlight mounts are heavy and bulky).

Off to the vertical mill. I think I removed 50% of the weight of the stock triple clamp.

Later, Doug

‘77 Kawasaki Kz1000
Streetfighterkz is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-16-2020, 05:07 PM   #3
Streetfighterkz
Capt Oblivious
CF Pimp

The J&R chambers have seen better days. The left side had a hole that I patched just to find a second. With those patched I found a couple pinholes that I closed up. Smooth everything out and now the repaired spot blends in with the rest of the exhaust’s patina.

I bought some head pipe to chamber gaskets and reinstalled the pipes. Only to have some fit-up issues. I think the bike has a H2 swingarm as it seems pretty long along with an axle that’s too long. As I result I had to space out the left exhaust temporarily until I fit a different swingarm on. There was also fit-up issues on the right side. It seems like the center pipe hits the bottom of the cases before making it up to the footpeg hanger. Again, this is all just temporary so I can get the bike up and running.

I bought a set of correct H1 carbs, air filters, fuel bowl gaskets, etc too.

I’m just waiting on a brass fitting for the fuel supply line. I’m hoping to fire it up this coming weekend.

Stay tuned for more...

Later, Doug

‘77 Kawasaki Kz1000

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-16-2020, 05:15 PM   #4
yantosh
yantosh's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 12:36 PM
Flip Offs: 14
Flipped Off 18 Times in 16 Posts
yantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on here
Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Winter Buildoff Winner Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month 

bags of potential there
yantosh is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-16-2020, 05:52 PM   #5
Smoker
BLACK BELT

Smoker's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 04:36 AM
Flip Offs: 35
Flipped Off 13 Times in 12 Posts
Smoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on here

Awesome bike to fighter.

Nice patchwork on the pipes.

Looking forward to more work.
Smoker is online now   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-16-2020, 10:53 PM   #6
929_adam
Eff Tee Pee
929_adam's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 07:36 AM
Flip Offs: 501
Flipped Off 166 Times in 132 Posts
929_adam is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!929_adam is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!929_adam is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!929_adam is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!929_adam is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!929_adam is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!929_adam is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!929_adam is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!929_adam is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!929_adam is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!929_adam is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Supporter of the Streetfighter Build for Charity 

I always loved that green 400!

Gavin Wayne Butts - Greencheezeeta - 10/5/83 - 9/8/09 RIP My Brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpls|cafe|racer
"Knowledge is knowing that you know nothing." That's a motto to live by. There's always someone out there better, more knowledgable, faster, etc. and you can always learn and improve...
AFF.COM
929_adam is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-17-2020, 11:07 AM   #7
Streetfighterkz
Capt Oblivious
CF Pimp

Since welding up the exhaust, I swapped to a set of correct H1 carbs that I bought and cleaned up. I also changed the trans fluid, cleaned and refilled the oil tank with some fresh Yamaha 2S injector oil, and hooked up the choke and throttle cables. The routing looks horrible due to the bike having dragbars, but again this is all very temporary.

Now, I’m waiting on a 1/4” brass cross so I can hook up all three fuel lines to my IV bottle.

Later, Doug

‘77 Kawasaki Kz1000
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-18-2020, 11:28 PM   #8
Streetfighterkz
Capt Oblivious
CF Pimp
Default Back Burner ‘74 H1

IT’S ALIVE!!!

I couldn’t help myself so instead of cleaning the garage like I should have, I tinkered with the H1. I kicked quite a bit initially but finally got everything dialed in. Now she starts with a single kick.

https://youtu.be/Vtq6JcDW6KM

I’m super stoked right now.

Later, Doug

‘77 Kawasaki Kz1000
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-19-2020, 12:12 AM   #9
Smoker
BLACK BELT

Smoker's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 35
Flipped Off 13 Times in 12 Posts
Smoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on here

Nice work, dude!
Smoker is online now   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-19-2020, 12:30 AM   #10
MikeGyver
|||||||||||||||||||||||||
MikeGyver's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 310
Flipped Off 173 Times in 149 Posts
MikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too much
Default Medal Fighter of the Month 

Yeeeeaaaaahhhhhhh buddy! I was waiting for you to give it a good rip on the throttle! Give us more!

'98 Ducati 916
'00 Ducati 996
'03 SV650(sold)

Skully Stickers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danbuc View Post
yell, "Built not bought mother fucker!" in there face and then spit on their bike and walk off.
MikeGyver is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes