Ironhead hardtail project - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Non-Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Chopper Discussion

Chopper Discussion All discussions about choppers go in here.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Ironhead hardtail project

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 07-23-2019, 05:13 PM   #1
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
shinyribs's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 08:16 PM
Flip Offs: 58
Flipped Off 117 Times in 104 Posts
shinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too much
Fighter of the Month 
Default Ironhead hardtail project

Not gonna be a chopper, but not a 'fighter, so I'll stick this in here. I love the look of the early Scout's, and I've been wanting to do something with this old Sportster engine I have, so this is the plan.

There's nothing about the above bike that I would change. The Scout engine is a very short twin and the IH is around 22" tall. The fuel tank between the frame rails is a must have, so is the leafer front end. The build would be pointless without them. Due to the height of my engine the bike will be bigger overall...might have to go to 21" or 23" rims to keep the proportions right. Just have to wing at as I go.

First thing's first, I decided a frame jig would be the best place to start. Was looking for some steel I never did find, but found this extruded aluminum channels in my scrap pile instead. Works for me! So fastened up a bed out of it that bolts to my lift table.

Using the channels for adjustability. Pretty handy stuff, actually.

Way taller than needed, but may come
in handy for dropping plumb lines, so not gonna chop it down for now.

Machined up some piece for the rear axle support. I'm reusing the Sportster rear wheel, so it's only made to hold that rear axle.

Used the chewed up rotor off my XL and made a little caliper deal to set the rake with. Way overboard, but a fun rainy day project.

Only thing left to do on the jig is get some material to make the neck cones.

Need to decide if I'm gonna turn up a neck or find a cheap bike to steal a titled neck from. Looking forward to building the frame, but really excited about building the leafer forks. This isn't something I'll be working on at a fast place. Currently researching wheel info and other things, but it's a start.

Really don't want to spoil the lines of the hardtail, but considering something similar to this to gain a bit of suspension out back. Not with the modern look, of course.
shinyribs is online now   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 07-23-2019, 05:18 PM   #2
yantosh

yantosh's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 01:16 AM
Flip Offs: 13
Flipped Off 18 Times in 16 Posts
yantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on here
Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Winter Buildoff Winner Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month 
Default Re: Ironhead hardtail project

things are getting interesting round ere now ,
yantosh is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived yantosh!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 07-23-2019, 06:40 PM   #3
titan
hooligan quads

CF Addict
titan's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 07:16 PM
Flip Offs: 3
Flipped Off 14 Times in 2 Posts
titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Fighter of the Month 

in!!!

ride it like you stole it

Customization not Restoration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Einstein
I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.
2019 build off - build - chat
titan is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived titan!

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 07-24-2019, 02:05 AM   #4
Racing Geek
lb/hp is what it's about!
Racing Geek's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 07:16 PM
Flip Offs: 168
Flipped Off 83 Times in 73 Posts
Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Scavenger Hunt 

This will be interesting. I've been thinking about a similar build myself.
Racing Geek is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived Racing Geek!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 07-24-2019, 10:57 AM   #5
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
shinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too much
Fighter of the Month 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racing Geek View Post
This will be interesting. I've been thinking about a similar build myself.
Nice! What do you have in mind?
shinyribs is online now   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-02-2019, 12:43 AM   #6
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
Fighter of the Month 

Got the taper attachment set up and turned up some neck cones tonight. Found some tubing local, but gotta figure out a way to move 20' sticks. Looking for a titled frame to steal a neck off of is proving harder than I thought.

This user High Fived shinyribs!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-02-2019, 12:54 AM   #7
Smoker
BLACK BELT

Smoker's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 05:16 PM
Flip Offs: 33
Flipped Off 12 Times in 11 Posts
Smoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on here

Saw this a while back.

$5,000 USD retail.

I know you can build something better, for way less cash.
Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived Smoker!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-02-2019, 08:15 AM   #8
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
Fighter of the Month 

That's pretty interesting how they did the "top yoke" area. Looks like cast aluminum, too. I looked in to buying a spring pack for the fork, so I could get a chrome one and know the spring rate would be good, but it was like $600. Yeah, that's not gonna happen
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-13-2019, 09:57 AM   #9
tldave
CF Addict
tldave's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 5
Flipped Off 71 Times in 42 Posts
tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

has to be hd neck/paperwork?
tldave is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-13-2019, 04:05 PM   #10
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
Fighter of the Month 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tldave View Post
has to be hd neck/paperwork?
Nope. It can be anything. As long as it's tubular steel and not some sort of casting/forging. I just want a clean number to walk in and out of the DMV. Nothing is getting inspected.

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Non-Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Chopper Discussion