Cleaning stainless with acid - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Beginner Streetfighter Questions

Beginner Streetfighter Questions This is the place to ask all beginner questions with no fear of being flamed. This section will be HEAVILY MODERATED! Any fighter related question is allowed, no matter how simple!

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Cleaning stainless with acid

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 07-23-2019, 08:26 PM   #1
Ride
Noobie
Ride's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 05:04 PM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ride is a NOOB
Default Cleaning stainless with acid

Iíve read that using a phosphoric acid cleaner is amazing for cleaning stainless steel. However Iíve also read it will tarnish or even rust more readily as it strips the chromium layer unless itís a braided to bring the layer back.

So how about it gents? Is there truth to the idea that using some Harpic will cause my headers to tarnish super fast? I did neutralize them in a baking soda solution after and then polished with metal polish.

Ride is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 07-24-2019, 08:06 PM   #2
beezwiz
GURU
CF Addict
beezwiz's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 11:04 AM
Flip Offs: 7
Flipped Off 14 Times in 8 Posts
beezwiz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!beezwiz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!beezwiz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!beezwiz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!beezwiz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!beezwiz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!beezwiz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!beezwiz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!beezwiz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!beezwiz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!beezwiz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Default Re: Cleaning stainless with acid

Beautiful work my man... never tried anything acidic... just used stainless cleaner and some .000 steel wool. The result you have obtained is better than anything I've seen. No wonder it will fuck up the metal faster. Just go figure eh?

Imagine breaking into another country, and then arguing that their detention centers didn't meet your standards?
beezwiz is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 07-25-2019, 01:07 AM   #3
SEBSPEED
V4's FTW
SEBSPEED's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 12:04 PM
Flip Offs: 53
Flipped Off 57 Times in 47 Posts
SEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on here
Fighter of the Month Winter Buildoff Winner Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month 

Google "stainless steel passivation" if you want to learn more details than I can type out for you here.

In short, yes, you can restore the layer of passivation either by letting them sit for some time in a clean environment, or by sanding or brushing them with scotch brite/sandpaper.

Find me on Facebook at Sebspeed Customs

Float like a Goldwing, sting like a gixxer

2015 FOTY VFR750

2016 threads
Turbo 7/11

750 Slingshot
Discussion thread

2017 thread
VFR800 Build
SEBSPEED is online now   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived SEBSPEED!

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 07-25-2019, 10:52 AM   #4
Ride
Noobie
Ride is a NOOB

CORRECTION: it was hydrochloric acid (Harpic toilet cleaner).

I let it work for 10 minutes while I scrubbed with a green scotchbrite pad.

Hosed off then soaked in baking soda solution (4 lbs plus enough water to cover in a storage bin) for 5 minutes and again hosed off.

Polish was maybe 10-15 minutes more using a polish wheel on a drill or rag with metal polish.

Not my headers but the before was easily this bad:

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 07-25-2019, 10:57 AM   #5
Ride
Noobie
Ride is a NOOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by beezwiz View Post
Beautiful work my man... never tried anything acidic... just used stainless cleaner and some .000 steel wool. The result you have obtained is better than anything I've seen. No wonder it will fuck up the metal faster. Just go figure eh?

According to what Iíve read now about passivating (thank you SEBSPEED!)
Steel wool can reintroduce oxides into the surface. They seem to generally recommend nitric acid solution soaks at elevated temps. Iím thinking it will be fine what I did.

Perhaps the hydrochloric acid is too aggressive? As SEB said I have also found mention that time is my friend in this and as luck would have it Iíve got about a month before Iím on the road with this build.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 07-25-2019, 12:08 PM   #6
SEBSPEED
V4's FTW
SEBSPEED's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 12:04 PM
Flip Offs: 53
Flipped Off 57 Times in 47 Posts
SEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on here
Fighter of the Month Winter Buildoff Winner Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ride View Post
According to what Iíve read now about passivating (thank you SEBSPEED!)
Steel wool can reintroduce oxides into the surface. They seem to generally recommend nitric acid solution soaks at elevated temps. Iím thinking it will be fine what I did.

Perhaps the hydrochloric acid is too aggressive? As SEB said I have also found mention that time is my friend in this and as luck would have it Iíve got about a month before Iím on the road with this build.
It's still "stainless". Only intense heat will cause the material to lose its stainless properties, that's why SS parts are passivated after welding. I've also seen loads of ppl use Harpic to clean headers, I'm sure yours will be just right when you get back to the road.

Find me on Facebook at Sebspeed Customs

Float like a Goldwing, sting like a gixxer

2015 FOTY VFR750

2016 threads
Turbo 7/11

750 Slingshot
Discussion thread

2017 thread
VFR800 Build
SEBSPEED is online now   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived SEBSPEED!

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Beginner Streetfighter Questions