CB rat / cafe - Page 11 - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes

Member Project Bikes Project progress threads of members streetfighters.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > CB rat / cafe

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-17-2011, 07:37 PM   #101
ctluba
CF Addict
Local Time: 03:16 AM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 3 Times in 2 Posts
ctluba has a reputation beyond reputectluba has a reputation beyond reputectluba has a reputation beyond reputectluba has a reputation beyond reputectluba has a reputation beyond reputectluba has a reputation beyond reputectluba has a reputation beyond reputectluba has a reputation beyond reputectluba has a reputation beyond reputectluba has a reputation beyond reputectluba has a reputation beyond repute
Fighter of the Month 
Default Re: CB rat / cafe

Quote:
Originally Posted by chg380 View Post
Looks like the bearing sizes are

35 x 55 x 14

bottom
35 x 55 x 14

My opinion is to have the 636 stem turned down so that you can use a 30 x 55 x 17 bottom and a 25 x 47 x 15 top. or press your original stem in to the 636 triple.
chg, could you explain these sizes to me. Are you saying I need to call a bearing place and order this size bearings to fit this stem to my neck?? How did you come up with these sizes?? Have you done a similar conversion on a CB??

Thanx

Quote:
Originally Posted by flat_black View Post
Cammed up cb big bore with slingshots... Double Ohlins and a 636 radial caliper front end... Mismatch rims and a dent in the tank. Nuff said... Repped...
Quote:
Originally Posted by geetus View Post
I am very impressed by that bike. I love a good mix of old and new. Like a MILF with big ol fake titties!
Cheers.
ctluba is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-17-2011, 08:24 PM   #102
sporty_drew
Fighterer
sporty_drew's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 02:16 AM
Flipped Off 3 Times in 3 Posts
sporty_drew is a good noobiesporty_drew is a good noobie

I'm loving the bike and that front end is just icing on the cake right there!

1993 900RR ~Worklog~ SOLD
1993 Katana 6/12
sporty_drew is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-17-2011, 08:33 PM   #103
cage
Gear Head
cage's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 255
Flipped Off 105 Times in 39 Posts
cage sits atop olympuscage sits atop olympuscage sits atop olympuscage sits atop olympuscage sits atop olympuscage sits atop olympuscage sits atop olympuscage sits atop olympuscage sits atop olympuscage sits atop olympuscage sits atop olympus
Supporter of the Streetfighter Build for Charity 

Its possible to change the lower race and use the 636 bearing, but the top is going to require machining. Is the stem hollow? If it is then I would have the top turned to to 30mm and use a 30 x 47 x 15 conversion bearing.

Keep the fight alive
cage is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-17-2011, 08:39 PM   #104
Fight Everything
Rollin hard in Wiscompton

CF Pimp
Fight Everything's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 55
Flipped Off 45 Times in 35 Posts
Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

ctluba, there are bearing charts out there that show the upper and lower bearing sizes and what bikes use them. As for the dimensions, the first two are going to be the inner diameter and the outer diameter, and the last is the thickness.

To make the front end a bolt in piece, it looks like you'd need a 35x55x17 bottom and 35x47x15 top.
Fight Everything is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-17-2011, 09:13 PM   #105
whiteknucler6
complete asshole
CF Lover
whiteknucler6's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 01:16 AM
Flip Offs: 56
Flipped Off 27 Times in 6 Posts
whiteknucler6 is a name known to allwhiteknucler6 is a name known to allwhiteknucler6 is a name known to allwhiteknucler6 is a name known to allwhiteknucler6 is a name known to allwhiteknucler6 is a name known to allwhiteknucler6 is a name known to allwhiteknucler6 is a name known to allwhiteknucler6 is a name known to allwhiteknucler6 is a name known to allwhiteknucler6 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctluba View Post
What the hell did I get into now!!!

Gee, that was easy!!! Just kiddin, only mocked up.

Ok whitknucler6, I know you put a front end on your bike and had to order bearings. Any tips for me??? The stem fits right in the neck and I almost thought it was going to be a friggin bolt together job. But the bearings on top of the neck are the wrong size to seat all the way down on the stem. The bearings on the bottom of the stem dont fit up into the neck. So it seems if I can buy some bearings that are big enough inside diameter to fit around the stem and small enough outside diameter to fit in the neck I can bolt this thing up!! Tips / advise.

Also, can anybody ID this front end. The seller on ebay said he thought it was off a "97 kawasaki 900". I looked at some photos of 97 zx900r and they dont have USD forks. Anybody ID them?? Cant find any numbers or markings anywhere. Thanx
Allballsbearings.com, once you id the front end positively go to there website and punch in your bike and it will pull up all the compatable bearings they make. If the bike that your front end is off of is on the list you are in luck. If not get ready to machine or swap stems. It will look bitchin BTW

my build

http://www.customfighters.com/forums...ad.php?t=43097

A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy
whiteknucler6 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-17-2011, 09:30 PM   #106
ctluba
CF Addict
ctluba has a reputation beyond reputectluba has a reputation beyond reputectluba has a reputation beyond reputectluba has a reputation beyond reputectluba has a reputation beyond reputectluba has a reputation beyond reputectluba has a reputation beyond reputectluba has a reputation beyond reputectluba has a reputation beyond reputectluba has a reputation beyond reputectluba has a reputation beyond repute
Fighter of the Month 

This bearing shit is very confusing. I went to the all balls racing web site and they have a conversion chart. I have determined that the front end that I have is from a ZX636. That bike is not on the list. All the ZX6Rs and the ZX9s have the same size bearing conversion.

top 25x47x15
bottom 35x55x14

They reccomend this size bearing for the front end conversion for just about all the kawasaki front ends ZX9 ZX6 several years. So I ordered a set in this size. We will see.

If anybody has any other info or web sites blast away, I'm listenin!!

Thanx for all the info.

Quote:
Cammed up cb big bore with slingshots... Double Ohlins and a 636 radial caliper front end... Mismatch rims and a dent in the tank. Nuff said... Repped...
Quote:
I am very impressed by that bike. I love a good mix of old and new. Like a MILF with big ol fake titties!
Cheers.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-17-2011, 09:32 PM   #107
cage
Gear Head
cage's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 255
Flipped Off 105 Times in 39 Posts
cage sits atop olympuscage sits atop olympuscage sits atop olympuscage sits atop olympuscage sits atop olympuscage sits atop olympuscage sits atop olympuscage sits atop olympuscage sits atop olympuscage sits atop olympuscage sits atop olympus

I did a little research for you and this is what I have come up with. The best solution for you is to swap the stem from the cb into the 636 triple its going to require some welding/machine work but you will be able to use stock bearings. This is the other option: is requires a 35 x 55 x 14 tapered roller bearing, you will need to press the stem out and have the upper bearing surface turned down to 30 mm, then you can use a 30 x 47 x 15 conversion bearing available here http://www.twfracing.com/images/zpar...earing_lg.jpeg

Keep the fight alive
cage is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived cage!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-17-2011, 10:16 PM   #108
ctluba
CF Addict
Fighter of the Month 

Ya, I will call them in the am and cancel that order.

Quote:
Quote:
Cheers.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-18-2011, 12:20 AM   #109
RatFighter
UnicycleMode

RatFighter's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 190
Flipped Off 111 Times in 48 Posts
RatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympus
Fighter of the Month 

I should have spoke up sooner, but, I have found with all my swapping over the years that changing out the steering stem is 100% the most effective and easiest route possible. Grind off the weld on the bottom of the triple, take it in and get it pressed out if you can't do it yourself, have a collar machined for the smaller stem in the bigger triple and get it all welded back together. Easier said than done, but effective none the less.

Hope that helps ease the frustration of this all. Did it with Zed and going to do it again with my XR500.

-Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zweihammer View Post
Looking at this Large Hadron Collider of a vehicle, I am starting to think the little bastard may have been on to something...
RatFighter is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived RatFighter!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-18-2011, 08:12 AM   #110
ctluba
CF Addict
Fighter of the Month 

Thanx Rat, that lloks like the route I will be going!!

Quote:
Quote:
Cheers.
This user High Fived ctluba!

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes