Projector headlight questions - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > General Streetfighter Discussion

General Streetfighter Discussion Discussions about streetfighter riding.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Projector headlight questions

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-28-2020, 05:53 PM   #1
eccles291
Angry Northerner
Fighterer
eccles291's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 03:26 AM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
eccles291 is a name known to alleccles291 is a name known to alleccles291 is a name known to alleccles291 is a name known to alleccles291 is a name known to alleccles291 is a name known to alleccles291 is a name known to alleccles291 is a name known to alleccles291 is a name known to alleccles291 is a name known to alleccles291 is a name known to all
Question Projector headlight questions

I'm fightering a CBR600RR at the moment and I'm looking at fitting a headlight mask but want decent lights to shine through it. I had a supermoto a few years ago that had a shitty motocross headlight and riding at night was pretty bloody awful. I think I'd have been better off with a fucking headtorch!!

I want to go for E-marked lights, for ease of MOTs, and thought that projector headlights could be the way forward. The projectors I've seen in a twin set up have one side for dip and the other for full beam but what I'd like to know is, can I get both lights to come on for dipped beam and then just have one of them to swap to full beam? (I'm thinking just one to reduce the electrical demands for the wiring on the bike). I may need to buy two single units, one single filament and one twin filament, if that's even a thing on projectors?!

Any thoughts? Has anyone already done this?

Projectors something like this:

To go behind a headlight mask like this:

Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue!

First SF project - K3 Gixer 6

GPz900R project
eccles291 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-28-2020, 06:48 PM   #2
sebwiers
lɐʇuǝɯᴉɹǝdxǝ

CF Pimp
sebwiers's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 09:26 PM
Flip Offs: 21
Flipped Off 36 Times in 19 Posts
sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Fighter of the Month 
Default Re: Projector headlight questions

Switchable projectors do exist, but rather than (or in addition to) using two filaments, they move the shutter element that blocks light from shining straight ahead out of the way.

I suspect that mechanism isn't practical in compact lights, which could be one reason motorcycles with projectors tend to have dual lamps.

sebwiers is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived sebwiers!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-29-2020, 07:57 AM   #3
eccles291
Angry Northerner
Fighterer
eccles291 is a name known to alleccles291 is a name known to alleccles291 is a name known to alleccles291 is a name known to alleccles291 is a name known to alleccles291 is a name known to alleccles291 is a name known to alleccles291 is a name known to alleccles291 is a name known to alleccles291 is a name known to alleccles291 is a name known to all

Thanks matey, that vid explains it perfectly. Repped.

GPz900R project
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-29-2020, 02:31 PM   #4
Mattson
Stressed Member
Mattson's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 05:26 AM
Flip Offs: 25
Flipped Off 34 Times in 22 Posts
Mattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympus
Fighter of the Month 

I've had projector headlights in a couple bikes. While they DO light up the road ahead quite nicely, they DO NOT illuminate the ditches AT ALL as they focus all light straight up front so riding in pitch black dark with projectors feels like zooming through a sewer tunnel. Them rabbits give you a proper jumpscare as the moment you ser them there's precious little left to react at all.

Bashan BS200-S7 '07 Street Quad
Mattson is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived Mattson!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-29-2020, 04:31 PM   #5
eccles291
Angry Northerner
Fighterer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattson View Post
I've had projector headlights in a couple bikes. While they DO light up the road ahead quite nicely, they DO NOT illuminate the ditches AT ALL as they focus all light straight up front so riding in pitch black dark with projectors feels like zooming through a sewer tunnel. Them rabbits give you a proper jumpscare as the moment you ser them there's precious little left to react at all.
I live in the country so I think I might reconsider the projector light idea. The main problem round our way is deer. You need all the advance warning you can get with those buggers and I definitely wouldn’t want to hit one on the bike!!!

GPz900R project
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-29-2020, 05:17 PM   #6
yantosh
yantosh's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 14
Flipped Off 18 Times in 16 Posts
yantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on here
Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Winter Buildoff Winner Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month 

KC daylighters.... old skool
yantosh is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived yantosh!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-29-2020, 05:42 PM   #7
sebwiers
lɐʇuǝɯᴉɹǝdxǝ

CF Pimp
sebwiers's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 21
Flipped Off 36 Times in 19 Posts
sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Fighter of the Month 

Yeah, or a mini LED light bar. I use one on my rat bike. It's awesome as long as there's no overhead road signs - those reflect so much light it ruins my night vision!

This is the one I use - https://www.amazon.com/Nilight-Drivi.../dp/B00AZPP0Y6
sebwiers is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived sebwiers!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-29-2020, 07:47 PM   #8
eccles291
Angry Northerner
Fighterer

Quote:
Originally Posted by yantosh View Post
KC daylighters.... old skool
Not quite the look I’m after but thanks anyway.

GPz900R project
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 06-24-2020, 04:22 PM   #9
bodey
ayy
Noobie
bodey's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
bodey is a NOOB

I have one of these installed on my bike. It has a physical cutoff flap that you wire into your high/low switch circuit. There's no reason why you couldn't use two with the cutoff flaps wired together and they'd both switch between high and low together.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32917329326.html

High:

Low:

Here's how mine is mounted:
bodey is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived bodey!

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > General Streetfighter Discussion