Chat with an ASE Master Technician - Page 22 - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Off Topic > Open Discussion

Open Discussion Anything non-motorcycle related goes in here.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Chat with an ASE Master Technician

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-14-2017, 06:27 PM   #211
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
shinyribs's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 03:06 PM
Flip Offs: 58
Flipped Off 116 Times in 103 Posts
shinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too much
Fighter of the Month 
Default Re: Chat with an ASE Master Technician

Hey, Grymm, quick one of the top of your head. '92 or '93 GM dually with a tbi 350. I assume that would be a 4L80 transmission?

The truck started shifting hard on the way home today while leaving town. Not extremely harsh, but noticeably firmer than normal. After leaving town and cruising down the highway it settled back to normal.

Anything simple a can check? Maybe cleaning a connector or something? Fluid is clean, fresh and the level is good.
shinyribs is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-15-2017, 10:49 AM   #212
XxGRYMMxX
Breaking shit...
CF Pimp
XxGRYMMxX's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 8
Flipped Off 13 Times in 10 Posts
XxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on here

whats temps like near you? Fluid expands as it warms and low fluid level when cold might be making it shift a bit harder than normal. the going away part as it warmed up makes me think fluid first. Im sure you know what youre doing but veh running, warmed up in park, on flat ground, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcantar View Post
They can ban, outlaw, and restrict whatever they please. I'll keep doing whatever the fuck I'm doing, because I don't really give a shit. The only thing that will change is that I'll be breaking their made up bullshit rules while doing it, and I'm comfortable with that.

My Build http://www.customfighters.com/forums...d.php?t=118649
XxGRYMMxX is online now   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-15-2017, 01:04 PM   #213
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
shinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too much
Fighter of the Month 

It's been 20-40 degrees around here lately. It was 18 when I left this morning and the truck did fine. Weird.

And yes. Hot, flat and in Park when checking the fluid.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-15-2017, 02:42 PM   #214
XxGRYMMxX
Breaking shit...
CF Pimp
XxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on here

well, ride it out and see if it happens again. cold weather causes some fluky behavior sometimes.

Quote:
They can ban, outlaw, and restrict whatever they please. I'll keep doing whatever the fuck I'm doing, because I don't really give a shit. The only thing that will change is that I'll be breaking their made up bullshit rules while doing it, and I'm comfortable with that.

XxGRYMMxX is online now   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-15-2017, 04:50 PM   #215
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
Fighter of the Month 

It did fine again today. The hard shifting yesterday was rough enough to really worry me, but I can't see the issue being hard part related since it just went away. Weird.

At 320k miles I'm starting to get a little paranoid...
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-16-2017, 12:51 AM   #216
mcantar
Fuck it, let's do it live

CF Pimp
mcantar's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 01:06 PM
Flip Offs: 44
Flipped Off 21 Times in 20 Posts
mcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympus

Shiny that does sound temp related. I've had some shifting weirdness in my Dodge 1500 that seems to be linked to temperature/fluid viscosity.

Alright Grymm, here's one. On my 06 STi, started happening maybe 150-200 miles ago. That turbo rebuild is almost 1k miles old now, so I don't think it or any of the associated disassembly that happened is related.

When I push the clutch in mid-shift, the RPM's jump. But not quickly or immediately, like when load is taken off the engine and there's still a bit of throttle. The car does have that "shift assist" shit where it'll hold RPM for a second before dropping when you come out of gear, this isn't what it's doing (unless that system is malfunctioning, but AFAIK that's handled in the ECU).
I normally shift around 3200 or so. If I hold the clutch in, the RPM hangs and then slowly climbs to 5k-5200 over the course of a few seconds where it'll hang for another second and then it either totally drops off as if the fuel was cut, or it gently comes down to idle. This happens regardless of if I leave it in gear, put it in neutral, or push it into the next gear, however if I let the clutch out in neutral the RPM's will come down (also comes down if I let it out in gear, but goes down to match road speed obv.).
Also, occasionally when cruising at very very light load or sometimes when I let off the throttle and coast in gear, it feels (totally based on butt-dyno and engine note) like the engine is still carrying the car for like 5 seconds. Like it's still adding a small bit of fuel. If that doesn't make sense, you know how the AFR will read fully lean (22.x) if you leave it in gear and coast so that the road speed is carrying the RPM? Based on what I'm feeling, I would expect to see the AFR not read fully lean when it should be (I've been meaning to pull that parameter up on my tuner thingy, but I don't remember until it happens... need to put a sticky note on my forehead).
It only does this occasionally, not every time I drive and not every time I shift when it does do it. Seems to be on colder days or if I let sit and idle for too long while warming it up before driving, but I'm not 100% on that correlation.
It does seem to happen both at what I would consider "low" and "moderate" load. I haven't had the balls to test it at full pull, the idea of letting go of that engine at 18psi and not immediately restraining it with another gear is kinda sketchy to me.

I'm not even sure what would cause this. Everything I can think of, I'd expect to be seeing other symptoms or more consistency.

Hypermotard 1100S the weight-shavening.
Bandit 1200 cafe/fighter that will never get finished at this rate.
Turbo Busa v2 2017 Buildoff.
Turbo Busa V1.2 2016 Buildoff.
Turbo Busa v1.1
919 Hornet build'n'flip, lotsa electrical diagnostic info in there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poopie View Post
Everything should be turbo'd, and what the fuck is a budget?
mcantar is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-16-2017, 11:34 AM   #217
XxGRYMMxX
Breaking shit...
CF Pimp

does your turbo set up have a blow off valve or is a recirculating type?

If its a recirc set up then I would check the diverter valve to see if its hanging up and allowing boost into the intake instead of recirc-ing it back to the exhaust to keep the turbo speed up.

Also check the t-body to make sure its clean and not hanging up. if the throttle hangs, the TPS might still think you're requesting power while actually between shifts making the idle rise.

all that being said, it is throttle by wire so the ECU may have a flash available to fix that problem. alldata didnt list anything but its hit or miss with alldata for TSBs and Recall info.

Quote:

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-16-2017, 05:02 PM   #218
mcantar
Fuck it, let's do it live

CF Pimp
mcantar's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 01:06 PM
Flip Offs: 44
Flipped Off 21 Times in 20 Posts
mcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympus

I believe it's a 50% recirc, I'd have to double check though. Hadn't considered that... how would you go about testing it?

The TB may very well be a bit dirty, the old turbo was pissing oil and I didn't clean the TB out too well when I did the replacement. That said, it hasn't been an issue until now and if it was that, shouldn't it be more consistent?

Hypermotard 1100S the weight-shavening.
Bandit 1200 cafe/fighter that will never get finished at this rate.
Turbo Busa v2 2017 Buildoff.
Turbo Busa V1.2 2016 Buildoff.
Turbo Busa v1.1
919 Hornet build'n'flip, lotsa electrical diagnostic info in there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poopie View Post
Everything should be turbo'd, and what the fuck is a budget?
mcantar is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-18-2017, 10:24 AM   #219
XxGRYMMxX
Breaking shit...
CF Pimp

ill look that stuff up for ya Mason. Kinda busy this morning but Ill try to do some research at lunch.

Quote:

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-26-2017, 03:15 PM   #220
XxGRYMMxX
Breaking shit...
CF Pimp

Jeez... I just realized I never responded to your last question @mcantar. I read all I could find in alldata and mitchell and I couldn't find any test plan for the diverter valve aside from opening it up and checking for a torn diaphragm or sticking spring.

Some googling and a read-about in some subby forums and it seems fairly common on all of their drive by wire cars so maybe a reflash will fix it. I didnt see any TSBs or service bulletins about a reflash, but there were quite a few posts about people getting reflashed (with mixed results).

Only other thing that might make the RPM rise is a vac leak in the intake, but unless youve got fuel trim numbers going out of whack when it revs up, that would be unlikely (and you would probably notice other issues before then)

Quote:

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Off Topic > Open Discussion