Chat with an ASE Master Technician - Page 23 - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Off Topic > Open Discussion

Open Discussion Anything non-motorcycle related goes in here.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Chat with an ASE Master Technician

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-26-2017, 03:52 PM   #221
mcantar
Fuck it, let's do it live

CF Pimp
mcantar's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 08:05 AM
Flip Offs: 44
Flipped Off 21 Times in 20 Posts
mcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympus
Default Re: Chat with an ASE Master Technician

No worries dude, busy time of year for all of us.
All the Subie forum hits I've found were people wondering why the revs don't drop when shifting, because they aren't used to the shift assist thing the ECU does. I havent found anything where the RPM is significantly increasing. Did you come across something I didn't?

My fuel comp is a little bit wonky, supposed to be <8% in all MAP/MAF ranges and I'm seeing around 12% or so above idle. Haven't noticed anything else out of whack though.

I did get a video the other day of it doing the thing but I keep forgetting to upload it. I'll try to remember when I get home from work.

Hypermotard 1100S the weight-shavening.
Bandit 1200 cafe/fighter that will never get finished at this rate.
Turbo Busa v2 2017 Buildoff.
Turbo Busa V1.2 2016 Buildoff.
Turbo Busa v1.1
919 Hornet build'n'flip, lotsa electrical diagnostic info in there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poopie View Post
Everything should be turbo'd, and what the fuck is a budget?
mcantar is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-26-2017, 05:28 PM   #222
XxGRYMMxX
Breaking shit...
CF Pimp
XxGRYMMxX's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 10:05 AM
Flip Offs: 8
Flipped Off 13 Times in 10 Posts
XxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on here

Is your car tuned? I cant remember... If it is, fuel trims might off due to the tune but still should be within the +/- 8 area. As a rule of thumb once you get outside those numbers theres something affecting the fuel trim, be it an air leak or a fuel leak of a leaky injector for the rich direction.

if you have access to a smoke tester, give a smoke test a shot. if your fuel trims are off there could be a small leak somewhere. some air pressure and soapy water may work too.

STis (and all the subbies it seems) should hold the RPM or maybe go up 100-200 rpm during a clutch motion but the 1000+ you have is too much.

heres a couple quick googles (that may or may not be the ones I saw before, different computer...). I dont limit to just STis, subbie used the same stuff on most of their cars so a general search usually gives better results for me.

https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/sho....php?t=1350270

https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/sho....php?t=1543050

https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...ar-change.html

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/2-5-lite...depressed.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcantar View Post
They can ban, outlaw, and restrict whatever they please. I'll keep doing whatever the fuck I'm doing, because I don't really give a shit. The only thing that will change is that I'll be breaking their made up bullshit rules while doing it, and I'm comfortable with that.

My Build http://www.customfighters.com/forums...d.php?t=118649
XxGRYMMxX is online now   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived XxGRYMMxX!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-26-2017, 08:54 PM   #223
mcantar
Fuck it, let's do it live

CF Pimp
mcantar's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 08:05 AM
Flip Offs: 44
Flipped Off 21 Times in 20 Posts
mcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympus

My bad, it sits around -12%, not 12%. I don't recall what that correlates to with fuel, if that's pulling that much fuel or reading that much less air than it expects and thus adding fuel. The parameter on my thingy is named "AF Learning."

The car is tuned, by a guy who's supposedly one of the top Subaru tuners in the country. Though it was tuned on the old turbo, so it's possible that the turbo's performance was degraded enough at the time that with the rebuild it's flowing more air at any given RPM/load and is exceeding the limits of the tune... though I'd imagine that would have been noticed, and regardless if that were the case wouldn't it be overshooting the peak boost?

I'm not seeing any misfires on any of the cylinders, so I don't think it's an injector. I did have a consistent misfire on one of the cylinders earlier this year that ended up being an injector so I've been periodically checking on the engine management thingy, plus it's pretty easy to hear them.

I've been wanting to do a smoke test since the turbo install, guess it's time I got around to rigging something up for it.

Thanks for looking around the interwebs. None of those seem to quite describe what's going on, though they may have a similar cause... pretty much the stuff I saw in other threads, nothing really definitive.

Here's the video I took the other day. It's not very severe compared to what I've seen it do (5k+, for way longer), I'll try to catch it next time and get a better video.
Shows two shifts, the first is right near the beginning just as it passes 3k. It hangs for a second and then goes up to 4 something and then holds and drops, then I catch it at around 2500. The second shift I gave it a little gas so you can hear the BOV go when I let the clutch in and release load from the engine, and it does pretty much the same thing as before.
Again this isn't nearly as high, or as long as I've seen it go... seems to be worse when it's colder, which does make it seem air related.

Hypermotard 1100S the weight-shavening.
Bandit 1200 cafe/fighter that will never get finished at this rate.
Turbo Busa v2 2017 Buildoff.
Turbo Busa V1.2 2016 Buildoff.
Turbo Busa v1.1
919 Hornet build'n'flip, lotsa electrical diagnostic info in there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poopie View Post
Everything should be turbo'd, and what the fuck is a budget?
mcantar is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-23-2018, 09:30 AM   #224
Mattson
Stressed Member
Mattson's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 05:05 PM
Flip Offs: 24
Flipped Off 33 Times in 21 Posts
Mattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on here
Fighter of the Month 

Hey grym could you verify something for me?

Damn inspector flunked my Volvo because the engine fault light is lit (even though none of the codes were a failing code!) The one he had a beef with was P0111 which is for an intake temperature sensor. From what I gathered in the internets it should be the first thing in the intake duct right beside the headlight and sure enough I found this. However when I google the number it says that it's NOT an IAT, it's a MAP sensor and that cannot be since it's not a pressurised duct!? Have they combined different sensors into one or do I have the wrong thing fitted in there? The weird part is all my emission numbers were as good as they possibly can be, hell the engine is spewing out less pollutants than what it's drawing in

Benelli Tornado TRE Novecento 2006
EX: Triumph Daytona 955i DSSA 2002 Fighter
My homebrew blog thread thingy: Oddball Brewery
Mattson is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-23-2018, 09:37 AM   #225
XxGRYMMxX
Breaking shit...
CF Pimp
XxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on here

most of the time the Intake temp sensor is part of the Mass air flow meter. that part in the pic def looks like a MAP sensor. what year/model is that volvo? Ill look it up to be sure.

Quote:
They can ban, outlaw, and restrict whatever they please. I'll keep doing whatever the fuck I'm doing, because I don't really give a shit. The only thing that will change is that I'll be breaking their made up bullshit rules while doing it, and I'm comfortable with that.

XxGRYMMxX is online now   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-23-2018, 09:40 AM   #226
Mattson
Stressed Member
Mattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on here
Fighter of the Month 

Manufactured march 2003. Xc70 2.5T, do you need kw? From what I gathered on the older model they're two different sensors, and on this one they're combined. But how can a MAP sensor be sitting right on the entry of the duct, shouldn't it be after the turbo?!

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-23-2018, 09:50 AM   #227
Mattson
Stressed Member
Fighter of the Month 

Oh and the MAF is already swapped (big tube thing right after the airbox) other than a 350eur dent on my wallet, it did nothing to the problem.

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-23-2018, 09:56 AM   #228
Mattson
Stressed Member
Fighter of the Month 

This is from swedespeed forum, although regarding R models and the part number is slightly different but I suppose it's cross compatible info to the XC as well.

Quote:
Jun 20, 2011 · #7

That bad boy is your Boost Pressure Sensor, aka MAP sensor, aka IAT sensor. Volvo combined a few sensor into one on our R's. On older Volvo's they were separate.

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-23-2018, 02:27 PM   #229
XxGRYMMxX
Breaking shit...
CF Pimp

that post has the right info. I checked alldata and mitchell and both show the MAP/IAT sensor as one unit. Should be on the pipe coming from the charge air cooler (intercooler), right?

Quote:

This user High Fived XxGRYMMxX!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-23-2018, 02:33 PM   #230
Mattson
Stressed Member
Fighter of the Month 

Thanks man I appreciate it! That would explain things, the space is so cramped it's hard to see where exactly it's coming from. I assumed the duct just goes behind the front mask but it could just as well be connected to the intercooler based on where it is. Here's hoping a new sensor will make the lamp shut off as other faults were really minor (burnt bulbs, loose ball joint and a broken muffler mount)

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Off Topic > Open Discussion