Chat with an ASE Master Technician - Page 28 - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Off Topic > Open Discussion

Open Discussion Anything non-motorcycle related goes in here.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Chat with an ASE Master Technician

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-08-2018, 09:58 PM   #271
Casper
The friendly Ghost.
Casper's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 03:15 PM
Flip Offs: 188
Flipped Off 34 Times in 28 Posts
Casper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympus
Default Re: Chat with an ASE Master Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongoose View Post
Yeah i think im driving it home and parking it. Its never had a timing set in it, or oil pump anything...

I started it up again after it cooled off and was fine.. So id deffo say hot oil/pressure issue.. Something getting sucked up the coil slot of an oil pick up also crossed my mind.. Is it a mos to cut it out to a normal size?

1000 miles into the ownership, couple grand on the table.
Oil is cheap, change it and the filter.

Three things go bad regularly with the 5.4, the phaser solenoids (fairly easy to replace), the phasers (fairly shitty and expensive), the timing guides / tensioners (fucking shitty and expensive).

If she runs smoothly when cold, you can unplug the phaser solenoids to see if they are causing the engine to run this rough.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-09-2019, 03:19 AM   #272
Mattson
Stressed Member
Mattson's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 01:15 AM
Flip Offs: 24
Flipped Off 33 Times in 21 Posts
Mattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on here
Fighter of the Month 

Probly not familiar with the car but wanna venture a guess what could cause the following.

Engine has a sound resembling a valve tap but it's more of a squeaky clatter than a sharp knock, when pushed hard the sound becomes louder and frequency follows revs. What makes it weird is when the revs reach pretty much exactly 2600rpm the sound stops cold and past that does not return.

Car in question is a 2009 Fiat Scudo van, the engine is a 1.6 Ford DuraTorq DLD-416 diesel with variable geometry turbo but AFAIK no VVT which could explain the behavior if present.

Benelli Tornado TRE Novecento 2006
EX: Triumph Daytona 955i DSSA 2002 Fighter
My homebrew blog thread thingy: Oddball Brewery
Mattson is online now   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-09-2019, 02:37 PM   #273
XxGRYMMxX
Breaking shit...
CF Pimp
XxGRYMMxX's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 06:15 PM
Flip Offs: 8
Flipped Off 13 Times in 10 Posts
XxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on here

not familiar with that model and my shop info doesnt list that model. Is the noise klinda like common lifter noise with a buzz or harmonic behind it? Coulld be injector noise, diesel injectors are noisy (as are direct injection gas injectors) and like lifters can quiet at higher RPM. Sounds just like lifter tick but is hums with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcantar View Post
They can ban, outlaw, and restrict whatever they please. I'll keep doing whatever the fuck I'm doing, because I don't really give a shit. The only thing that will change is that I'll be breaking their made up bullshit rules while doing it, and I'm comfortable with that.

My Build http://www.customfighters.com/forums...d.php?t=118649
XxGRYMMxX is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-09-2019, 04:25 PM   #274
Mattson
Stressed Member
Mattson's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 01:15 AM
Flip Offs: 24
Flipped Off 33 Times in 21 Posts
Mattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on here
Fighter of the Month 

Tbh it kinda sounds like a dry bearing squeak. Injectors have been removed, the holes bored and seals renewed with no effect. It's definitely some sort of a knock or a tick but it has this high squeak. It won't go gradually out when the revs rise, it stops into a wall at 2600rpm.

The engine has been in a wide variety of different vehicles, a full list can be found here:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_DLD_engine

Benelli Tornado TRE Novecento 2006
EX: Triumph Daytona 955i DSSA 2002 Fighter
My homebrew blog thread thingy: Oddball Brewery
Mattson is online now   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-27-2019, 04:01 PM   #275
Fight Everything
Rollin hard in Wiscompton

CF Pimp
Fight Everything's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 05:15 PM
Flip Offs: 55
Flipped Off 45 Times in 35 Posts
Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Supporter of the Streetfighter Build for Charity 

I've got one. 2001 Toyota Rav4, 2.0 auto awd.

Bought from buddy who replaced the cats and o2 sensors last year before we bought it. Always had some codes related to o2 readings.

We got it, shortly after had misfires and other issues. Over several sessions of parts and codes, I installed new Denso Iridium plugs, ebay coils, Felpro valve cover gasket, added an 8g ground from block to battery, installed non-foulers at rear o2 sensor locations (though at moment the sensors are tied to the frame, the threads got fucked on removal).

I'm finally down to just cyl1 misfire, system lean bank1 and bank2, and CELflashing on WOT. Any ideas where to go next before I light this cunt on fire?
Fight Everything is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-27-2019, 11:16 PM   #276
XxGRYMMxX
Breaking shit...
CF Pimp
XxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on here

Yeah. Sounds like an intake leak. Both banks being lean, repeat o2 codes and misfiring are pretty solid symptoms. I would use a smoke tester and check the intake if i was at the shop. Simple check is to spray carb or brake cleaner around the intake while idling and if the rpms bog or race you found a leak. Do this cold and hot, small leaks can disappear when the engine warms up. Other stuff to check if those come out ok but check that first.

General FYI, flashing check engine means a misfire with raw fuel getting to the cats.

Quote:
They can ban, outlaw, and restrict whatever they please. I'll keep doing whatever the fuck I'm doing, because I don't really give a shit. The only thing that will change is that I'll be breaking their made up bullshit rules while doing it, and I'm comfortable with that.

This user High Fived XxGRYMMxX!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-28-2019, 07:08 AM   #277
Fight Everything

CF Pimp
Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

There was one hose that was bad, it was replaced during the first round of parts. No other leak points where found. She idles down normal, steady 750rpm or so. Doesn't seem to be bogging anywhere, though I suppose if there's a leak it might only be opening up under vacuum (acceleration).

I should find a Subaru bro to vape the system....
Fight Everything is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-28-2019, 03:04 PM   #278
XxGRYMMxX
Breaking shit...
CF Pimp

have you tried to swap the no 1 coil with another coil to see if the misfire moves?

Quote:

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-29-2019, 11:32 PM   #279
Fight Everything

CF Pimp

Not yet, I was trying to eliminate as many of the o2 codes first as I could and mostly succeeded.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-30-2019, 03:06 PM   #280
XxGRYMMxX
Breaking shit...
CF Pimp

misfires can affect O2 sensors with the unburnt fuel. on the O2 sensor stuff, do you have exhaust leaks near the sensors? That'll throw them off for sure. Also, hows the air filter and MAF?

Quote:

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Off Topic > Open Discussion