Spoked wheels on modern sportbike? - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Technical Section > Brakes and Suspension

Brakes and Suspension Anything to do with fabricating and modifying brakes and suspension goes in here.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Spoked wheels on modern sportbike?

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-06-2012, 02:59 PM   #1
InNeedofBoost
KAWI FTW!
Fighter
Local Time: 08:22 PM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 1 Time in 1 Post
InNeedofBoost is well likedInNeedofBoost is well likedInNeedofBoost is well likedInNeedofBoost is well likedInNeedofBoost is well likedInNeedofBoost is well liked
Default Spoked wheels on modern sportbike?

Ok, forgive me if this has been covered but I couldn't find anything on a search.

This is what gave me the idea:

I know its a rendering, but I love the look of spoked wheels on a more modern looking bike.

- Can it be done and still keep the same widths to be able to run a 120/180 tire set up?

- If so, will it/how will it affect performance as far as being stable enough for maybe a track day or "spirited" ride if you will. I like my bike to be the best of all worlds, look good, perform well and still be daily usable.

- Any pics of this already done? Post em if so!

An on-ramp is a terrible thing to waste....

Current fighter: 07 ZZR600 - http://www.customfighters.com/forums...ad.php?t=58429
InNeedofBoost is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-06-2012, 03:06 PM   #2
chevy42083
Fighterer
Local Time: 07:22 PM
Flip Offs: 2
chevy42083 is a glorious beacon of lightchevy42083 is a glorious beacon of lightchevy42083 is a glorious beacon of lightchevy42083 is a glorious beacon of lightchevy42083 is a glorious beacon of lightchevy42083 is a glorious beacon of lightchevy42083 is a glorious beacon of lightchevy42083 is a glorious beacon of lightchevy42083 is a glorious beacon of lightchevy42083 is a glorious beacon of lightchevy42083 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Spoked wheels on modern sportbike?

hmmm.... I would think it would be fine... plenty of motards running spoked wheels and the 650r/sv650 tire sizes (120/160). Basically, you could spoke any hub to a hoop of the right size. There's tons of hoop sizes among the cruiser crowd... just gotta find a hub/axle that'll bolt to your bike.

Sure does look sexy SSSA... which might throw a new challenge into it.
chevy42083 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-06-2012, 03:37 PM   #3
InNeedofBoost
KAWI FTW!
Fighter
InNeedofBoost is well likedInNeedofBoost is well likedInNeedofBoost is well likedInNeedofBoost is well likedInNeedofBoost is well likedInNeedofBoost is well liked

Yea, I figured the SSSA would be an issue...which sucks cause I love that look. But, I think I would rather the spoked wheels over it. I'm kind of going the cafe fighter esk style. Modern bike with some old school looks.

Anyone seen it done yet? I'm hoping so..I want to see what it would look like.

Current fighter: 07 ZZR600 - http://www.customfighters.com/forums...ad.php?t=58429
InNeedofBoost is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-06-2012, 03:57 PM   #4
a_morti
GURU

CF Addict
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 02:22 AM
Flip Offs: 24
Flipped Off 24 Times in 14 Posts
a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

My french sucks, but there's some pretty pictures

http://www.krax-moto.com/search.php?...submit_search=

Aaron, living in Gibraltar and riding a 2014 MSX125 (Grom) with a bunch of shiny shite on it. Slow n loud!
a_morti is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-06-2012, 04:18 PM   #5
InNeedofBoost
KAWI FTW!
Fighter

O wow...roughly $435 for a PAIR! Closest I can find to my bike is the Z1000. I'm running ZX10R wheels right now...should be the same give or take a spacer.

WANT

I'm already picturing this now...switch to a single round headlight (SV or something), new paint with another cafe stripe and those wheels....

I need to win the lottery...

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-06-2012, 05:07 PM   #6
a_morti
GURU

CF Addict
Local Time: 02:22 AM
Flip Offs: 24
Flipped Off 24 Times in 14 Posts
a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by InNeedofBoost View Post
O wow...roughly $435 for a PAIR! Closest I can find to my bike is the Z1000. I'm running ZX10R wheels right now...should be the same give or take a spacer.

WANT

I'm already picturing this now...switch to a single round headlight (SV or something), new paint with another cafe stripe and those wheels....

I need to win the lottery...
LOLz, you'll spot your error pretty soon*.

* where you might write 2,400$, French will write 2 400

Aaron, living in Gibraltar and riding a 2014 MSX125 (Grom) with a bunch of shiny shite on it. Slow n loud!
a_morti is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-06-2012, 05:10 PM   #7
SV650R
Fighter In Training
SV650R's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 06:22 PM
SV650R is making some friendsSV650R is making some friendsSV650R is making some friendsSV650R is making some friends

There is a forged 20 spoke wheel that looks sexy as can be...

In life there are things that you can do... And things that you won't do... Open the throttle you pucking fussy!!!
SV650R is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-06-2012, 05:59 PM   #8
gsf1200R
ShamanFighter
gsf1200R's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 485
Flipped Off 802 Times in 365 Posts
gsf1200R sits atop olympusgsf1200R sits atop olympusgsf1200R sits atop olympusgsf1200R sits atop olympusgsf1200R sits atop olympusgsf1200R sits atop olympusgsf1200R sits atop olympusgsf1200R sits atop olympusgsf1200R sits atop olympusgsf1200R sits atop olympusgsf1200R sits atop olympus

id only do it if it was a tubeless spoked rim.

Goal: Promote streetfighters to the custom motorcycle scene in America.
Plan: Spread the word to motorcycle enthusiasts through our forum & blog.
gsf1200R is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-06-2012, 06:22 PM   #9
piester
Bitches love Fighters

piester's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 09:22 PM
Flip Offs: 44
Flipped Off 19 Times in 15 Posts
piester is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!piester is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!piester is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!piester is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!piester is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!piester is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!piester is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!piester is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!piester is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!piester is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!piester is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Fighter of the Month 

Making a spoked rim tubeless is hard. But not impossible. It sorta makes trueing the wheel after pretty hard. Basically put a Tim strip in. And then a layer of wide tape. Duct tape works good. You need a thread in valve stem. Before you put the valve stem in you spray it with a coat or 2 of rubberized undercoating. Then tread the stem in. Is it a good idea? I certainly wouldn't trust it. Is it safe? Doubtful. Will it get rid of tubes? Yeah but it'll probably cause more problems than it fixes haha

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

if at least one motorcycle wasnt irreparably harmed in the creation of the bike, its not a streetfighter!

build threads
1998 GSXR 7/10 SRAD clicky
08 fireblade
clicky
who wants to be my friend? facebook
piester is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived piester!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-06-2012, 06:24 PM   #10
gsf1200R
ShamanFighter
gsf1200R's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 485
Flipped Off 802 Times in 365 Posts
gsf1200R sits atop olympusgsf1200R sits atop olympusgsf1200R sits atop olympusgsf1200R sits atop olympusgsf1200R sits atop olympusgsf1200R sits atop olympusgsf1200R sits atop olympusgsf1200R sits atop olympusgsf1200R sits atop olympusgsf1200R sits atop olympusgsf1200R sits atop olympus

ive seen a few come through the shop and theyre not laced. the whole outside has a lip that the spokes attach to. no air gets out

Goal: Promote streetfighters to the custom motorcycle scene in America.
Plan: Spread the word to motorcycle enthusiasts through our forum & blog.
gsf1200R is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived gsf1200R!

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Technical Section > Brakes and Suspension