Spoked wheels on modern sportbike? - Page 2 - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Technical Section > Brakes and Suspension

Brakes and Suspension Anything to do with fabricating and modifying brakes and suspension goes in here.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Spoked wheels on modern sportbike?

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-06-2012, 06:27 PM   #11
repair
Z1000 fan
Noobie
repair's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 09:30 PM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
repair is a glorious beacon of lightrepair is a glorious beacon of lightrepair is a glorious beacon of lightrepair is a glorious beacon of lightrepair is a glorious beacon of lightrepair is a glorious beacon of lightrepair is a glorious beacon of lightrepair is a glorious beacon of lightrepair is a glorious beacon of lightrepair is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Spoked wheels on modern sportbike?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy42083 View Post
hmmm.... I would think it would be fine... plenty of motards running spoked wheels and the 650r/sv650 tire sizes (120/160). Basically, you could spoke any hub to a hoop of the right size. There's tons of hoop sizes among the cruiser crowd... just gotta find a hub/axle that'll bolt to your bike.

Sure does look sexy SSSA... which might throw a new challenge into it.
We have motards here and I think that you are over looking the exrta weight and power that a modern sport bike has, I would be afraid of it....agree it would look cool but I would be afraid.
repair is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-06-2012, 09:17 PM   #12
SV650R
Fighter In Training
SV650R's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 06:30 PM
Flipped Off 1 Time in 1 Post
SV650R is making some friendsSV650R is making some friendsSV650R is making some friendsSV650R is making some friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by repair View Post
We have motards here and I think that you are over looking the exrta weight and power that a modern sport bike has, I would be afraid of it....agree it would look cool but I would be afraid.
Me too... I can only imagine something going wrong when you are full on brakes at 140mph...

In life there are things that you can do... And things that you won't do... Open the throttle you pucking fussy!!!
SV650R is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-07-2012, 01:31 AM   #13
InNeedofBoost
KAWI FTW!
Fighter
Local Time: 08:30 PM
InNeedofBoost is well likedInNeedofBoost is well likedInNeedofBoost is well likedInNeedofBoost is well likedInNeedofBoost is well likedInNeedofBoost is well liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_morti View Post
LOLz, you'll spot your error pretty soon*.

* where you might write 2,400$, French will write 2 400
FAIL!! I knew something had to be off! -______-

I forgot that most spoked wheels use tubes...wasn't even thinking about that. Hmm

An on-ramp is a terrible thing to waste....

Current fighter: 07 ZZR600 - http://www.customfighters.com/forums...ad.php?t=58429
InNeedofBoost is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-07-2012, 01:57 AM   #14
rubbersdown
sickboy
CF Pimp
rubbersdown's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 37
Flipped Off 45 Times in 29 Posts
rubbersdown is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!rubbersdown is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!rubbersdown is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!rubbersdown is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!rubbersdown is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!rubbersdown is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!rubbersdown is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!rubbersdown is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!rubbersdown is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!rubbersdown is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!rubbersdown is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by repair View Post

Not really, more power sure but that wouldnt be a problem especially sense ive seen plenty of supercharged vtwins pushing 250+ HP with spoked wheels. As far as weight, even the newer enduros like the new xr650 weights 350lbs, thats only 40 lbs lighter than my cbr954, shit with all the wiring and fairing and ish off my bike its probably closer to only 20lb lighter. Even stock wideglides running spoke wheels weigh in at damn near 650 lbs.
And as far as making them tubeless, ive found it quite easy, ive done it a half dozen times on custom bobbers for people. They sell these rolls of sticky tape stuff (specifically made for it) you use as a rim strip and it seals it right up, they sell other kits that use a goop type stuff and a rubber rim strip but that can be a little messy.

"Sex addicts are just guys who are telling the truth." - Rodney Ruxin
rubbersdown is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-07-2012, 02:05 PM   #15
InNeedofBoost
KAWI FTW!
Fighter
InNeedofBoost is well likedInNeedofBoost is well likedInNeedofBoost is well likedInNeedofBoost is well likedInNeedofBoost is well likedInNeedofBoost is well liked

^^ Thank you for clarifying. I've seen a few spoked wheels converted to tubeless, just wasn't sure if it was safe or not.

Now to find some off other bikes that would fit my ZZR.

Current fighter: 07 ZZR600 - http://www.customfighters.com/forums...ad.php?t=58429
InNeedofBoost is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-07-2012, 02:09 PM   #16
InNeedofBoost
KAWI FTW!
Fighter

Also, can't forget about this beauty.

Almost forgot about it...modern bike, old school wheels. =D

This user High Fived InNeedofBoost!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-12-2012, 02:00 AM   #17
jarrad
KZ1100 Fighter
Fighter
Local Time: 11:00 AM
Flipped Off 2 Times in 2 Posts
jarrad is a glorious beacon of lightjarrad is a glorious beacon of lightjarrad is a glorious beacon of lightjarrad is a glorious beacon of lightjarrad is a glorious beacon of lightjarrad is a glorious beacon of lightjarrad is a glorious beacon of lightjarrad is a glorious beacon of lightjarrad is a glorious beacon of lightjarrad is a glorious beacon of light

hey guys, im joining the conversation late but, im running Ducati sport classic wheels with ZX636 forks on my Z1000 project.

heaps of people run these tubeless with a big rubber band silliconed to the rim or just sillicon by itself.

these rims are great for modern conversions as disk to disk measures 135mm unlike the older gs style hubs that are about 70mm.
jarrad is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived jarrad!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-14-2012, 05:10 AM   #18
zzzeke
GURU
CF Lover
zzzeke's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 02:30 AM
Flip Offs: 2
Flipped Off 2 Times in 2 Posts
zzzeke is a glorious beacon of lightzzzeke is a glorious beacon of lightzzzeke is a glorious beacon of lightzzzeke is a glorious beacon of lightzzzeke is a glorious beacon of lightzzzeke is a glorious beacon of lightzzzeke is a glorious beacon of lightzzzeke is a glorious beacon of lightzzzeke is a glorious beacon of light

Agreed Jarred, I know many many people that run tubeless spoked wheels just by using silicon base potting compound and painting big thick strips round the middle of the wheel. Harley Davidson sell them and they are build that way also so its certainly safe enough.

Make and make do
zzzeke is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-14-2012, 01:38 PM   #19
SV650R
Fighter In Training
SV650R's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
SV650R is making some friendsSV650R is making some friendsSV650R is making some friendsSV650R is making some friends

Correct me if I am wrong...

But don't Radials have a different lip than non Radial tires?

Or is that just on cars?

In life there are things that you can do... And things that you won't do... Open the throttle you pucking fussy!!!
SV650R is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-14-2012, 03:57 PM   #20
Danbuc
"Fuck yo couch" -Socrates
CF Lover
Danbuc's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 09:30 PM
Flip Offs: 10
Flipped Off 15 Times in 13 Posts
Danbuc is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Danbuc is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Danbuc is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Danbuc is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Danbuc is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Danbuc is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Danbuc is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Danbuc is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Danbuc is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Danbuc is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Danbuc is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

Many modern bikes running spoked wheel run tubeless tires with tubes. Prime example is the Metzlers on my Thruxton. It's got spoked excels and the tires are labeled as tubeless.

The spoked wheel in the link to the french site are tubeless wheels. The ends of the spokes have a round bar that sits in a captured housing, of which line the inner diameter of the hoop. Since the spokes don't screw into the hoop, there's no way to lose air. It's not as pretty as a tradition spoked wheel, but it is functional.

Alpina also makes tubeless spoked wheels as well.

I would have loved to have found a spoked rear wheel for my 748. I'm sure it was possible but for the cost these companies want...not worth it.

Like jarrad mentioned, Duc SC wheels are the cheapest way to go and will work on lots of bikes.

Call me crazy, but I wouldn't trust a strip of silicone on a wheel prone to flexing to keep the air in my tire. That just sounds dumb. I'm sure it works ok for a while, but if it wasn't designed to hold air...putting goo on it is just not the right way to do it.

Ride'em like ya stole'em
Danbuc is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Technical Section > Brakes and Suspension