Not another Bandit Streetfighter... - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes

Member Project Bikes Project progress threads of members streetfighters.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Not another Bandit Streetfighter...

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-19-2018, 11:52 AM   #1
remfanuk
Fighterer
Local Time: 09:07 PM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
remfanuk is a name known to allremfanuk is a name known to allremfanuk is a name known to allremfanuk is a name known to allremfanuk is a name known to allremfanuk is a name known to allremfanuk is a name known to allremfanuk is a name known to allremfanuk is a name known to allremfanuk is a name known to allremfanuk is a name known to all
Default Not another Bandit Streetfighter...

I will start off by saying that this is intended to be quite a long build as it gives me and my old man something to do in terms of a hobby. Having read lots of other projects I thought I might document mine also.

I have built a Moto Guzzi V50 racer previously and almost finished a restoration of a 1990 ZXR750...the latter has a frustrating fuelling issue that I will be getting a professional to look. In the meantime the Bandit build has started.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150516_125142.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	1.60 MB
ID:	102186   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180409_174650.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	721.6 KB
ID:	102194  
remfanuk is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived remfanuk!

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-19-2018, 12:13 PM   #2
remfanuk
Fighterer
remfanuk is a name known to allremfanuk is a name known to allremfanuk is a name known to allremfanuk is a name known to allremfanuk is a name known to allremfanuk is a name known to allremfanuk is a name known to allremfanuk is a name known to allremfanuk is a name known to allremfanuk is a name known to allremfanuk is a name known to all
Default Re: Not another Bandit Streetfighter...

So this is what I started with...rather than purchase a complete bike and then spend months and months shifting all the bits I don't need, I have decided to purchase the bits I need as I go along...pretty sure I might regret that course of action in the end, but hey ho.

I do hope that I can sculpt the frame in such a way as to remove its ugliness and give i a new subframe also.

After purchasing the frame of an ugly Mk2 Bandit 1200, next on the list was a swingarm and rear wheel. I am attempting to build sections of the bike and then gracefully fit them all seamlessly together. Hmm...

Still needs upper and lower stem bearing cups removing which have thwarted all attempts so far...

After buying a B12 swingarm I decided to get an RF900 swingarm in order to delete the torque arm.

I initially thought about polishing it but decided that it might be too much for what I want to acheive asthetically and it's a lot of bloody work. Simoniz Tough Gloss Black paint was the way forward with polished chain adjusters and rear caliper hanger. New bearings were fitted in the swingarm also.

Is there another use for this thing in the garden??

It's cleaned up a little...

I should add that I have no metal working skills such as welding or fabrication, although I am hoping with this project I will give both a stab. I also have no special tools, just usual home garage stuff. See how it all pans out.
This user High Fived remfanuk!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-19-2018, 12:31 PM   #3
remfanuk
Fighterer

The current piece being worked upon is the rear wheel. It has good bearings and the disc is barely used at almost 5mm thickness and the sprocket also seems fine, no hooks or chunks missing...will probably replace it when I get a chain still though.

The plan with the wheel is to use the same Simoniz Tough Gloss Black apart from around the rim which I plan to polish. As I want to reduce weight as part of this project I have ordered Titanium disc bolts and sprocket nuts.

Someone's keen to check out the interloper in his garden!

I am also planning to do a front end swap with what I have left over from my ZXR build...so I have a set of 1990 ZXR forks which are about 45mm shorter than the original B12 forks. But as I am trying to do this build as cheap as possible as well, I am determined to use the ZXR forks. I have started by chopping the ZXR stem off flush with the ZXR bottom yoke in order to have the B12 stem pressed into it. I am grateful to Yantosh who has agreed to help me with boring the bottom yoke, pressing in the stem, welding it up and getting the ZXR top yoke to sit right on the B12 stem probably with a small top hat sleeve. I have not had any joy with small machine shops in my area so pleased to have someone of Yan's calibre adding to my build.

I came across some recipe on the internet to remove anodising at home which I did with these ZXR forks in order that I can experiment with paint.

I have sanded down the production marks on the yokes and will get them to a nice polish when they are all together.

So that's where I am at the minute, sorting the wheel first.

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-19-2018, 01:19 PM   #4
a_morti
GURU

CF Addict
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 04:07 AM
Flip Offs: 24
Flipped Off 24 Times in 14 Posts
a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

Just as a thought... You'd probably save money and weight by getting a later gsx-r rear wheel instead of an OEM wheel and titanium fasteners.

Should be interesting building from individual parts! But get ready to be "nickle and dimed" on all the brackets, doodads and whatnots, plus if it doesn't start first go, you'll never know which of the bits might be wrong. Keep eyes out for a running crashed bike that would have needed reframing anyway?

Aaron, living in Gibraltar and riding a 2014 MSX125 (Grom) with a bunch of shiny shite on it. Slow n loud!
a_morti is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-19-2018, 01:59 PM   #5
remfanuk
Fighterer

Might keep an eye out for a race rep wheel, although keeping costs down with what i had or what came to me is probably a bigger consideration than shaving a few grammes off here and there.

Both previous bikes had donors and that worked out well...so just for the hell of it I thought i would see how difficult it is to string a bike together from parts. this will be fine of course for the mechanical bits like suspension and wheels in terms of being able to see if they work or not, but you're right with regards to an engine. however if i see a reasonably price running donor i might still jump on it.

I am going to be making my own loom...that will be a new skill to learn. So in some respects as long as i get an engine that runs and can work a loom okay, we should be gravy. That's the plan...and I am sure over the next however long it takes to get it all together it won't be plain sailing. Watch this space as there might be an unfinished project for sale in a year!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-19-2018, 04:34 PM   #6
yantosh
yantosh's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 03:07 AM
Flip Offs: 14
Flipped Off 18 Times in 16 Posts
yantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on here
Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Winter Buildoff Winner Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month 

the bearing cups, get a big fuck off spanner and a helper, hook the open end of the spanner under the cup and brace against the headstock, then get your helper to sit a punch, tube, length of bar on the spanner through the stem hole and twat it with a big hammer. They'll come out
yantosh is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived yantosh!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-19-2018, 09:17 PM   #7
tldave
CF Addict
tldave's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 5
Flipped Off 71 Times in 42 Posts
tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

long piece of metal. hammer or large rock. smash.
tldave is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-19-2018, 10:53 PM   #8
mcantar
Fuck it, let's do it live

CF Pimp
mcantar's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 08:07 PM
Flip Offs: 46
Flipped Off 22 Times in 21 Posts
mcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympus
Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month 

Are you running the front ZXR wheel with the forks? If so, take a look at sticking a newer Bandit 1250 ass end on it to match the angled spokes.

Hypermotard 1100S the weight-shavening.
Bandit 1200 cafe/fighter that will never get finished at this rate.
Turbo Busa v2 2017 Buildoff.
Turbo Busa V1.2 2016 Buildoff.
Turbo Busa v1.1
919 Hornet build'n'flip, lotsa electrical diagnostic info in there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poopie View Post
Everything should be turbo'd, and what the fuck is a budget?
mcantar is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-20-2018, 08:19 AM   #9
remfanuk
Fighterer

Cheers for the hints with the cup issue...i will try the big spanner approach...have just the tools for the job I reckon.

Will look into a 1250 rear wheel as i intend to use a ZXR front wheel. Anyone know of the weight differences between a standard 1200 wheel and those of a 1250 or gixxers?
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-01-2018, 03:50 PM   #10
remfanuk
Fighterer

Reminded myself this is a budget build and not to go hunting for other wheels etc...so set about mine with grit and polishing mops and am quite happy how the rim turned out and the tough gloss black paint. Polished the hub carrier too and cleaned up the sprocket and disc that came with the wheel as they are in good order as are the bearings.
Thought i might as well refurbish the rear brake caliper which was spotless even though tje banjo was clogged with rust...no wonder hydraulic pressure didnt free the pistons...compressed air did though!
Rear master cylinder rebuild kit and new pads with a black braided hose and black fittings to 'hide' it along the swingarm ordered today

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes