2009 Buell XB12Scg custom II - Page 6 - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes

Member Project Bikes Project progress threads of members streetfighters.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > 2009 Buell XB12Scg custom II

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-02-2020, 03:40 AM   #51
TPEHAK
Fighter
Local Time: 10:13 PM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 1 Time in 1 Post
TPEHAK has much to be proud ofTPEHAK has much to be proud ofTPEHAK has much to be proud ofTPEHAK has much to be proud ofTPEHAK has much to be proud ofTPEHAK has much to be proud ofTPEHAK has much to be proud ofTPEHAK has much to be proud ofTPEHAK has much to be proud ofTPEHAK has much to be proud ofTPEHAK has much to be proud of
Fighter of the Month 
Default Re: 2009 Buell XB12Scg custom II

For the battery main ground wire I used 4AWG Gauge SAE SGX black color wire https://www.ebay.com/itm/Premium-qua...53.m2749.l2649 I also designed and 3D printed special battery terminal adapter for this ground wire due to specific wire location

For joining the tail section wires and the main harness I used Molex MX150 8 pins connector
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...rrencycode=USD
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...rrencycode=USD

The harness kept coming along

The diagnostic plug and the fuel pump plug were mounted on the left side of the frame near the rear shock absorbed with mushroom tape piece https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Mushroom+...f=nb_sb_noss_2

After approaching the airbox I started crimping and attaching the wires to the ECM plugs

Once I had finished with the ECM wiring it was time for the final step - the power management block wiring. So I assembled the fuse block and started routing, trimming, crimping and attaching the wires to the fuse block wire by wire

Wrapped everything up with wire harness tape

And the harness was done! Here is the idea, you just grab whole frame with attached electrical components and move it out the way to have access under the airbox

Assembled the airbox

And everything works like supposed to!

TPEHAK is online now   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived TPEHAK!

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-02-2020, 11:53 PM   #52
MikeGyver
|||||||||||||||||||||||||
MikeGyver's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 07:13 PM
Flip Offs: 310
Flipped Off 172 Times in 148 Posts
MikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too much
Default Medal Fighter of the Month 

I appreciate you providing all the links! Very detailed write up. I bet it proves useful to quite a few peeps.

'98 Ducati 916
'00 Ducati 996
'03 SV650(sold)

Skully Stickers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danbuc View Post
yell, "Built not bought mother fucker!" in there face and then spit on their bike and walk off.
MikeGyver is online now   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived MikeGyver!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-03-2020, 12:57 AM   #53
TPEHAK
Fighter
TPEHAK has much to be proud ofTPEHAK has much to be proud ofTPEHAK has much to be proud ofTPEHAK has much to be proud ofTPEHAK has much to be proud ofTPEHAK has much to be proud ofTPEHAK has much to be proud ofTPEHAK has much to be proud ofTPEHAK has much to be proud ofTPEHAK has much to be proud ofTPEHAK has much to be proud of
Fighter of the Month 

Then I packed the rims and dropped it in the local powder coat shop to be coated flat black. The cool thing about this black color is it not only looks good but it is also significantly cheaper than the blue color coating the rims were coated before due to this black coating is single stage process.

Attached the tires

Then I cut white stickers for the tires to make the wheels have racing tires style look. I basically highlighted the existing letters on the Pirelli Diablo tires. To transfer the lettering I took pictures of the tires text on my phone camera from long distance with zoom do have minimal text distortion and scaled the text in the Solidworks sketch. Then I drawn the lines around the letters perimeter to make the letters pattern for laser cutting.

Then I bought White color 1/16" thick sheet of Buna-N rubber https://www.mcmaster.com/86795k2 This rubber has adhesive backing but I had to remove this adhesive layer after cutting the letters. The adhesive layer protected the rubber sheet external surface from charcoal contaminating during laser cutting thought, so it was useful feature actually. Another cool thing about this particular rubber sheet is it has glossy surface under the adhesive layer so it is easier to clean the letters during washing the motorcycle and they have nice bright white appearance.

I roughen one face of the rubber sheet with sandpaper for better adhesion and laser cut the letters

Removed the adhesive layer from the letters and cleaned them with alcohol

Roughen the letters on the tires with sandpaper and wiped them with acetone

Glued the letters to the tires with Weldwood contact cement following the instructions on the contact cement container

Balanced the wheels

I found black color wheel balancing weights on Ebay

Currently I use Free Spirits steel rear wheel sprocket with 50 teeth, but the pictures show aluminum Vortex 827A-49 Buell XB rear wheel sprocket with 49 teeth because of this sprocket looks more entertaining

Prior to this upgrade I used zinc plated steel hex head screws for the rear sprocket. But they look quite ugly. So I bought and installed the new better looking high strength stainless steel Grade 9 12-Point Screws for the rear sprocket https://www.mcmaster.com/96242a746

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-03-2020, 01:45 AM   #54
TPEHAK
Fighter
Fighter of the Month 

The tank cover foam pads are attached to the tank cover with thin 3M VHB double sided tape

I also designed and ordered new 22 teeth front sprocket with offset. Before this I used modified (shaved down to 520 chain thickness) PBI 23 teeth front sprocket, but 22 teeth sprocket maintains more appropriate chain slack and gear ratio with 50 teeth rear wheel sprocket.

I 3D printed the sprocket out of PLA plastic prior to ordering the real metal part to check the chain slack

Then I created the sprocket drawing with necessary specifications and sent the sprocket CAD model and the drawing to Superior Sprockets http://superiorsprockets.com Those guys can do custom sprockets according your specifications and most interesting it will cost less than stock sprocket (at least front sprockets with offset cost less than similar stock sprockets with offset)! So I highly recommend them, they already did a couple sprockets for me before and the sprockets work great. They do all necessary sprockets hardening and treatment of course.

23 teeth stock PBI sprocket vs 22 teeth custom sprocket

Prior this update I used aluminum spacers to offset the front sprocket cover. But it was PITA to attach the front sprocket cover to the motorcycle because of those spacers tend to fall down during installation. i decided to address this issue and designed permanently attached spacers for the front sprocket cover. I 3D printed the spacers out of polycarbonate plastic

The spacers attached to the front sprocket cover with 3M VHB double sided adhesive

And here you go, the motorcycle is done. I believe I covered most things I've done

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-03-2020, 04:46 AM   #55
Auser6guy
Fighter
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
Auser6guy is a name known to allAuser6guy is a name known to allAuser6guy is a name known to allAuser6guy is a name known to allAuser6guy is a name known to allAuser6guy is a name known to allAuser6guy is a name known to allAuser6guy is a name known to allAuser6guy is a name known to allAuser6guy is a name known to allAuser6guy is a name known to all
Fighter of the Month 

That’s one of the best threads Ive read on here and thats saying something

I’d love to see more pics of the finished product as well if you have the time.
Auser6guy is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived Auser6guy!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-03-2020, 07:58 AM   #56
Mattson
Stressed Member
Mattson's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 05:13 AM
Flip Offs: 25
Flipped Off 34 Times in 22 Posts
Mattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympus
Fighter of the Month 

Bashan BS200-S7 '07 Street Quad
Mattson is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived Mattson!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-09-2020, 06:43 AM   #57
TPEHAK
Fighter
Fighter of the Month 

Thanks!

Some of you asked me to share the CAD model. So here it is. I compiled the files together. The CAD model is pretty close to the real motorcycle and should serve mechanical design needs. There is a lot of true parts, but there is also a lot of dummy geometry parts I quickly reverse engendered for rough mock-up or just for visualization. So always check the geometry and sizes of the parts you are working with on the real motorcycle.

The link below is zip archive with files. The main assembly file consists of all the parts and it is Parasolid x_t file. I also attached drawings with CAD files for metal parts and another files I used to build the parts.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ovy...ew?usp=sharing

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-10-2020, 10:26 PM   #58
Auser6guy
Fighter
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
Auser6guy is a name known to allAuser6guy is a name known to allAuser6guy is a name known to allAuser6guy is a name known to allAuser6guy is a name known to allAuser6guy is a name known to allAuser6guy is a name known to allAuser6guy is a name known to allAuser6guy is a name known to allAuser6guy is a name known to allAuser6guy is a name known to all
Fighter of the Month 

Man youre being very generous sharing all of your hard work freely. Many others would be trying to monetise it.
For you Buel folk, I suggest you download before he changes his mind
Auser6guy is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived Auser6guy!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-11-2020, 03:58 AM   #59
Spyrious
Fighter In Training
Spyrious's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 05:13 AM
Flip Offs: 5
Spyrious is a glorious beacon of lightSpyrious is a glorious beacon of lightSpyrious is a glorious beacon of lightSpyrious is a glorious beacon of lightSpyrious is a glorious beacon of lightSpyrious is a glorious beacon of lightSpyrious is a glorious beacon of lightSpyrious is a glorious beacon of lightSpyrious is a glorious beacon of lightSpyrious is a glorious beacon of lightSpyrious is a glorious beacon of light

Work of Art!!!
Spyrious is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived Spyrious!

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes