Hack to thrash - Page 15 - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes

Member Project Bikes Project progress threads of members streetfighters.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Hack to thrash

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-10-2019, 02:39 AM   #141
Casper
The friendly Ghost.
Casper's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 05:43 PM
Flip Offs: 188
Flipped Off 34 Times in 28 Posts
Casper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympus
Default Re: Hack to thrash

Subscribing the lazy way, looks good.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived Casper!

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-13-2019, 06:13 AM   #142
MDM
Procrastinator

CF Lover
Local Time: 07:43 PM
Flip Offs: 3
Flipped Off 2 Times in 2 Posts
MDM has a brilliant futureMDM has a brilliant futureMDM has a brilliant futureMDM has a brilliant futureMDM has a brilliant futureMDM has a brilliant futureMDM has a brilliant futureMDM has a brilliant futureMDM has a brilliant futureMDM has a brilliant futureMDM has a brilliant future

So, having made a cardboard template I cut a sheet of 2mm loominum to shape, and placed it to position the mounting holes to match with the lower rad mount on the front cylinder head, and the rear mount within the upper engine mount spacer. the spacer had to be cut and sized to suit, but then the sheet was bent to make the battery box.
It was drilled to be able to mount the reg/rec and the starter solenoid, and then I made a pitiful attempt at TIGging the folded edges together, I'm not going to show any pics of the end result as it is, frankly, horrific...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	battboxmine1.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	875.8 KB
ID:	105704   Click image for larger version

Name:	battboxmine2.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	962.8 KB
ID:	105706  
MDM is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived MDM!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-13-2019, 10:51 AM   #143
Junkie
re-tarded
CF Addict
Junkie's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
Junkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to all
Fighter of the Month 

would look cooler if you picked up a dimple die set and gave it some speed holes

A steering damper dampens steering oscillations. If it starts to leak, it may become a steering dampener. There's no such thing as a dampner.

Bikes: naked SV1000 with all the possible bling, WR450SM street legal, 450XCF SM trackbike
Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived Junkie!

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-13-2019, 03:26 PM   #144
MDM
Procrastinator

CF Lover
MDM has a brilliant futureMDM has a brilliant futureMDM has a brilliant futureMDM has a brilliant futureMDM has a brilliant futureMDM has a brilliant futureMDM has a brilliant futureMDM has a brilliant futureMDM has a brilliant futureMDM has a brilliant futureMDM has a brilliant future

I agree Junkie, but for the fact that I don;t want to reduce any strength from the areas that are actually big enough for holes... it's only 2mm ally after all.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-13-2019, 03:30 PM   #145
Junkie
re-tarded
CF Addict
Junkie's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
Junkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to all
Fighter of the Month 

dimpled holes typically increase rigidity, which is generally more important than strength

I bet you could put a couple holes/dimples in the floor of the battery section itself, close to as large as the floor, with no problems. then a few in the large area too.

A steering damper dampens steering oscillations. If it starts to leak, it may become a steering dampener. There's no such thing as a dampner.

Bikes: naked SV1000 with all the possible bling, WR450SM street legal, 450XCF SM trackbike
Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived Junkie!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-13-2019, 03:46 PM   #146
MDM
Procrastinator

CF Lover

I've not got access to a dimple die (yet, been meaning to get a couple for a while), and the floor of the box will have the reg/rec mounted under it, but I may return to this version of the battery box at some point in the future anyway, as I'm not especially happy with my handiwork...
But, for now, it is painted and about to be mounted!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-13-2019, 10:32 PM   #147
SEBSPEED
V4's FTW
SEBSPEED's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 08:43 PM
Flip Offs: 53
Flipped Off 56 Times in 46 Posts
SEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on here
Fighter of the Month Winter Buildoff Winner Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month 

You can dimple with a couple mismatched sockets and a bench vise, if you want to give it a try

Find me on Facebook at Sebspeed Customs

Float like a Goldwing, sting like a gixxer

2015 FOTY VFR750

2016 threads
Turbo 7/11

750 Slingshot
Discussion thread

2017 thread
VFR800 Build
SEBSPEED is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived SEBSPEED!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-15-2019, 08:31 AM   #148
MDM
Procrastinator

CF Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkie View Post
would look cooler if you picked up a dimple die set and gave it some speed holes
I've just seen the price of dimple dies... Seb's idea will be the way to go if I do it!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-15-2019, 11:04 AM   #149
yantosh

yantosh's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 01:43 AM
Flip Offs: 13
Flipped Off 18 Times in 16 Posts
yantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on here
Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Winter Buildoff Winner Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDM View Post
I've just seen the price of dimple dies... Seb's idea will be the way to go if I do it!
you know enough folks with lathes......
yantosh is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived yantosh!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-15-2019, 03:25 PM   #150
MDM
Procrastinator

CF Lover

Good point Yan! Did I send you some pics of dimple dies back in the SF days? I sent some to someone, with the thought of doing a 'how to' kind of tech feature...

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes