Hack to thrash - Page 11 - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes

Member Project Bikes Project progress threads of members streetfighters.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Hack to thrash

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-25-2019, 04:56 AM   #101
MDM
Procrastinator

CF Lover
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 08:08 PM
Flip Offs: 3
Flipped Off 2 Times in 2 Posts
MDM has a brilliant futureMDM has a brilliant futureMDM has a brilliant futureMDM has a brilliant futureMDM has a brilliant futureMDM has a brilliant futureMDM has a brilliant futureMDM has a brilliant futureMDM has a brilliant futureMDM has a brilliant futureMDM has a brilliant future
Default Re: Hack to thrash

New fork seals should arrive in the next day or two, and I'll pick up a decent 8mm Allen key (and probably a long reach torq / star head bit to hammer in, just in case) at a show this weekend. Going to paint the fork sliders gloss black with Smoothrite, if I can get some cans at the show too, and hoping to pick up a front end paddock stand as well to get away from the teetering trolley jack situation.
MDM is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived MDM!

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-25-2019, 05:00 AM   #102
MDM
Procrastinator

CF Lover
MDM has a brilliant futureMDM has a brilliant futureMDM has a brilliant futureMDM has a brilliant futureMDM has a brilliant futureMDM has a brilliant futureMDM has a brilliant futureMDM has a brilliant futureMDM has a brilliant futureMDM has a brilliant futureMDM has a brilliant future

With the left hand switchgear taken off, I still wanted to have the ability to use the choke, so with the cable re-routed I made up a little bracket to mount it on the left hand side.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	chokeyabastid.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	1.38 MB
ID:	104758  
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-25-2019, 05:02 AM   #103
MDM
Procrastinator

CF Lover

And, as it wasn't especially easy to operate, especially with gloved hands, I added a key fob using a bent piece of ally that wraps around the nipple.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	pullchoke.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	1.12 MB
ID:	104760  
These people High Fived MDM!

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-25-2019, 11:15 AM   #104
MDM
Procrastinator

CF Lover

And, while fitting the new sprockets (15/45, alloy rear), I noticed this... I've no idea of how long that bolt has been missing, but it's been replaced now, obvs.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	missing.jpg
Size:	847.8 KB
ID:	104762  
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-25-2019, 12:13 PM   #105
Junkie
re-tarded
CF Addict
Junkie's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 06:08 PM
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
Junkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to all
Fighter of the Month 

The internet says that frame sliders mounted there are prone to damaging the head in a crash (as that's what they're threaded into)

you can get sliders that use the through bolt instead, which are less likely to damage anything

when I pull the front end I generally put automotive jack stands under the sliders (and the rear on a stand too)

A steering damper dampens steering oscillations. If it starts to leak, it may become a steering dampener. There's no such thing as a dampner.

Bikes: naked SV1000 with all the possible bling, WR450SM street legal, 450XCF SM trackbike
Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived Junkie!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-25-2019, 03:31 PM   #106
MDM
Procrastinator

CF Lover

I might end up eating my own words here, but the internet ain't right about everything... And besides, it's what I've got, trying to save up some pennies for race licence and entry, and spend as little as possible using what I've got. Or, to be a little more accurate, spending money on things that might actually make a difference, like the fork emulators, and the shock rebuild. ;-)
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-25-2019, 05:51 PM   #107
Junkie
re-tarded
CF Addict
Junkie's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 06:08 PM
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
Junkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to all
Fighter of the Month 

I've seen damaged heads on other bikes, from the same problem, but can't think of having seen it on an SV (although maybe that's because the cheap sliders use the through bolt - I paid $20 shipped for the sliders I have)

A steering damper dampens steering oscillations. If it starts to leak, it may become a steering dampener. There's no such thing as a dampner.

Bikes: naked SV1000 with all the possible bling, WR450SM street legal, 450XCF SM trackbike
Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived Junkie!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-27-2019, 02:51 AM   #108
tldave
CF Addict
tldave's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 09:08 PM
Flip Offs: 5
Flipped Off 71 Times in 42 Posts
tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

seen it in person many times. when the slider snags on something and the bike still wants to move. pop. no more cast engine mount.
tldave is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived tldave!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-01-2019, 05:20 AM   #109
MDM
Procrastinator

CF Lover

Anti-teetering issue resolved...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190430_201129.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	863.8 KB
ID:	104830  
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-01-2019, 05:22 AM   #110
MDM
Procrastinator

CF Lover

And the other fork leg was stripped down successfully after getting a decent long reach 8mm allen key for my 3/8 drive ratchet. Although the fork seal cover on this leg was rather more knackered than the first.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190430_203230.jpg
Size:	723.4 KB
ID:	104832  

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes