Kids ATV into crosskart project - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Non-Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Other Motorcycle Discussion

Other Motorcycle Discussion Anything about any other type of motorcycle goes in here.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Kids ATV into crosskart project

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 06-09-2019, 02:57 PM   #1
Mattson
Stressed Member
Mattson's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 03:12 AM
Flip Offs: 24
Flipped Off 33 Times in 21 Posts
Mattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on here
Fighter of the Month 
Default Kids ATV into crosskart project

Probly not the proper forum for this but couldn't find a better one either so what the hell...

So I got this kids ATV from my neighbour for free so couldn't turn it down, upon closer examination it was quickly quite clear it would cost me more to fix this than to buy a slightly used but working one so I decided to chop this one up and make a crosskart out of it for my and my sister's boys to arse around in the field at my mom's.

Here's the frame stripped bare. Looks like somebody has had fun with it, not a straight bit on it.

A very rough test of how long it needs to be for the driver's feet to clear the front tires at full lock. Looking at around 70cm of added tube minus the overlay so the actual stretch would be somewhere around 40:ish cm. The first question I have is how much will it affect the performance of the rear shock to be mounted almost vertical instead of in a 45° angle as it was before? Will it be harder or softer? The pivot point on the rear shock isn't that much higher from the hinge point so I don't reckon it should cause it to go limp near full compression if the pivot point would be moving more forward than upward.

First bigger decision to make is will I split the front suspension in half to make the thing wider and shorter or leave it as is. It's sort of narrow-ish for being so long but I suppose within reason. My main fear is if I widen the front I'm gonna have to widen the rear too and since that's nothing more than a single axel on a swingarm making it awfully wide could make this thing too hard to turn for small kids.

Benelli Tornado TRE Novecento 2006
EX: Triumph Daytona 955i DSSA 2002 Fighter
My homebrew blog thread thingy: Oddball Brewery
Mattson is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived Mattson!

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 06-11-2019, 12:08 PM   #2
Mattson
Stressed Member
Mattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on here
Fighter of the Month 
Default Re: Kids ATV into crosskart project

Bit on the narrow side for the length... Might have to split the front end in half to make it wider... Need to do some sandrail frame design studying.

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 06-11-2019, 03:23 PM   #3
XxGRYMMxX
Breaking shit...
CF Pimp
XxGRYMMxX's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 08:12 PM
Flip Offs: 8
Flipped Off 13 Times in 10 Posts
XxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on here

neat stuff. subbbrd

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcantar View Post
They can ban, outlaw, and restrict whatever they please. I'll keep doing whatever the fuck I'm doing, because I don't really give a shit. The only thing that will change is that I'll be breaking their made up bullshit rules while doing it, and I'm comfortable with that.

My Build http://www.customfighters.com/forums...d.php?t=118649
XxGRYMMxX is online now   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 06-11-2019, 03:45 PM   #4
Mattson
Stressed Member
Fighter of the Month 

Yea gonna have to split the front, not difficult just a lot of work. Not in a rush tho deadline for next spring, this is probly gonna be one of those builds that move in bursts of inspiration with months of crickets in between

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 06-13-2019, 12:06 PM   #5
Junkie
re-tarded
CF Addict
Junkie's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 05:12 PM
Flip Offs: 3
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
Junkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to all
Fighter of the Month 

I agree about widening the front. Rear seems less important.

With the shock at 45, for each inch the mount goes up the shock compresses about .7". It varies some because the shock angle changes with suspension compression, but somewhere around there. With it at 90, an inch is an inch.

Compressing the shock more requires more force, so it should be stiffer (but with less travel) with it vertical. A ballpark estimate is 1.4x as stiff (1/.7), .7x the travel. Why .7? sin(45*).

The angle that really matters is shock vs swingarm. If they're parallel, the shock does nothing. If they're perpendicular, the shock is stiffest. Between there it varies.

A steering damper dampens steering oscillations. If it starts to leak, it may become a steering dampener. There's no such thing as a dampner.

Bikes: naked SV1000 with all the possible bling, WR450SM street legal, 450XCF SM trackbike
Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived Junkie!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 06-13-2019, 01:13 PM   #6
Mattson
Stressed Member
Fighter of the Month 

Gonna cut out the entire old subframe and weld the new bottom frame rails straight to the swingarm mounts, this lets me fit the shock mount wherever I please so gonna be having the shock at around 45° as it was. Going to split the front end and already have a pretty good game plan on how to do it, Just don't have time to do nothing to this for a while so that's gonna have to wait.

This user High Fived Mattson!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 07-05-2019, 04:23 PM   #7
Mattson
Stressed Member
Fighter of the Month 

The garage is still a heaping mess bad enough to not be able to even get the bike in but managed to get this thing forward a little bit today by buying this:

Brand spanking new crate engine, never run straight off the shelf, 6.5hp and 196cc, way too much for the lemmings but shouldn`t be too hard to make a governor, it has both a ripcord and a 12v starter just need to peruse through the manual about what to hook and where as I don`t currently see any loose wire ends to hook up to a battery. It`s physically bigger than the 160cc I went to get but they were all out of those and this was the next cheapest thing to get anywhere at 199e. Now I need to order a centrifugal clutch to go with it to get the chain alignment, tried it on a bit and it will sit a wee bit to the right but since it`s a four wheeler off-road vehicle I don`t suppose that will be an issue at all.

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 07-05-2019, 11:42 PM   #8
tldave
CF Addict
tldave's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 08:12 PM
Flip Offs: 5
Flipped Off 71 Times in 42 Posts
tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

https://www.youtube.com/user/CarsandCameras/videos
tldave is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived tldave!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 07-06-2019, 02:18 AM   #9
Mattson
Stressed Member
Fighter of the Month 

^ think ive actually watched some of those but subbed just in case.

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 07-06-2019, 03:24 PM   #10
Mattson
Stressed Member
Fighter of the Month 

test run done, motor works, ordered a centrifugal clutch, should receive it sometime next week. Still need to clear up the garage but right now my main goal is SMASH next weekend so probly not a whole helluva lot happening to this for a while still.

Oh, also bought a Bahco pipe cutter and four rods of 22x1.5mm pipe.

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Non-Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Other Motorcycle Discussion