82 cb750k 1st time cafe build please help!!! - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Beginner Streetfighter Questions

Beginner Streetfighter Questions This is the place to ask all beginner questions with no fear of being flamed. This section will be HEAVILY MODERATED! Any fighter related question is allowed, no matter how simple!

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > 82 cb750k 1st time cafe build please help!!!

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-21-2012, 08:50 PM   #1
Cj.darmody
NoObie
Noobie
Local Time: 10:22 PM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cj.darmody is a NOOB
Default 82 cb750k 1st time cafe build please help!!!

I have a 82 cb750k stock that I picked up for 300 bucks. The bike runs great. It's my first bike and after seein some custom bikes online I have Decided to give my bike a legit rebuild Café style. That bein said when it comes to mechanics of a motorcycle I don't know shit from a good grain of chocolate. I am some what mechanically inclined and a Cnc machinist by trade so I have the ability to fashion pretty much anything I may need customized. After doin some research I've gathered that I need some different bars either clubmans or clip ons, different seat, gas tank, tires, fenders, rear sets. What I haven't found info on is bike stance. Do I need to modify the rear shock mounts? Do I need shorter or taller shocks? Do i leave ot stock and make up the difference with tires? I've also read about people takin front forks off of cb900s and puttin them on the 750. I'd like to leave it stock as much as possible but I don't want to hinder performance. I'm not tryin to make a cookie cutter bike that looks cool. Im lookin for a super hang on style more or less. Also where do i start on the engine, performance wise? Like I said earlier it runs good or so I think. Any help would be gravy. Thanks.
Cj.darmody is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived Cj.darmody!

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-21-2012, 11:25 PM   #2
GimmeDanger
Bewbie

Fighterer
GimmeDanger's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flipped Off 3 Times in 3 Posts
GimmeDanger is a name known to allGimmeDanger is a name known to allGimmeDanger is a name known to allGimmeDanger is a name known to allGimmeDanger is a name known to allGimmeDanger is a name known to allGimmeDanger is a name known to allGimmeDanger is a name known to allGimmeDanger is a name known to allGimmeDanger is a name known to allGimmeDanger is a name known to all
Default Re: 82 cb750k 1st time cafe build please help!!!

Bear in mind that changes in suspension height will affect the handling...dramatically if the change is too large. Raising the rear (or lowering the front) will bring the forks closer to perpendicular to the road surface, making the bike more 'agile' but less stable, while the opposite will make the bike more stable in a straight line but less maneuverable...both have their place depending on how you ride..there are a bunch of terms i could throw at you but they just break down to this anyway..its simple, just make changes in small increments so as not to really upset the character of the bike...and make sure the bottom rail is more or less parallel to the ground, looks stupid otherwise

Don't look back, but never forget

-92 katatana
-76 kz400
-83 vt500

www.cityriders.weebly.com
GimmeDanger is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived GimmeDanger!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-21-2012, 11:33 PM   #3
Handsome Matt
Just Here For The Party
Senior Fighterer
Handsome Matt's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 5
Flipped Off 12 Times in 7 Posts
Handsome Matt is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Handsome Matt is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Handsome Matt is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Handsome Matt is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Handsome Matt is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Handsome Matt is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Handsome Matt is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Handsome Matt is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Handsome Matt is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Handsome Matt is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Handsome Matt is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

Kudos to the above.

As far as handle bars go, the difference between clip-ons, clubmans and supersport bars are comfort and style. Comfort should take precedence. Try a couple different sets of bars to see what you really like.

And you'd be surprised at what tearing down, cleaning and replacing the oil in your forks will do for your suspension. And I second good tires. Avon Road Riders are a good choice, and they aren't to expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cj.darmody View Post
What I haven't found info on is bike stance. Do I need to modify the rear shock mounts? Do I need shorter or taller shocks? Do i leave ot stock and make up the difference with tires? I've also read about people takin front forks off of cb900s and puttin them on the 750. I'd like to leave it stock as much as possible but I don't want to hinder performance. I'm not tryin to make a cookie cutter bike that looks cool. Im lookin for a super hang on style more or less. Also where do i start on the engine, performance wise? Like I said earlier it runs good or so I think. Any help would be gravy. Thanks.
Bike stance again is style and comfort, but throw performance and safety into that mix (safety and performance should trump style). I know with the old KZ1000s, simply sliding the forks up an inch in the triples improved handling and ride performance.

As far as swapping front forks, All Balls has a great conversion chart based of steering bearing size.

2015 Winter Build: Phoenix Ascending

2015 Winter Build Discussion: Phoenix Ascending

"But it would require a great moral effort; it would mean staring failure in the eye every day for years. And so to protect themselves people say "I can't."" - Paul Graham

"Assumption is truely the mother of all fuck ups." -Yantosh

"Criticism is easy to do, but rarely worth listening to, mostly because it's so easy to do." -Seth Godin
Handsome Matt is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived Handsome Matt!

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-22-2012, 09:12 AM   #4
Cj.darmody
NoObie
Noobie
Cj.darmody is a NOOB

Thanks for all the help, I appreciate you folks takin the time to help me out. My next question would be how do I tell if I have CV carbs? Also what kinds of shocks do I want to go with. and where's a good place to get tires. My bike has the stock spoke wheels on it, should I use them with different tires or should I get new wheels as well. Thanks for all the help.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-22-2012, 09:17 AM   #5
Cj.darmody
NoObie
Noobie
Cj.darmody is a NOOB

Another quick question. Is it better to buy some rear sets that come off a gsxr or something similar and modifying them to fit or is it better to spend the bread and get some the are bot on?
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-22-2012, 10:30 AM   #6
eatabullet

eatabullet's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 252
Flipped Off 126 Times in 66 Posts
eatabullet spends too much time on hereeatabullet spends too much time on hereeatabullet spends too much time on hereeatabullet spends too much time on hereeatabullet spends too much time on hereeatabullet spends too much time on hereeatabullet spends too much time on hereeatabullet spends too much time on hereeatabullet spends too much time on hereeatabullet spends too much time on hereeatabullet spends too much time on here

Quote:
Thanks for all the help, I appreciate you folks takin the time to help me out. My next question would be how do I tell if I have CV carbs? Also what kinds of shocks do I want to go with. and where's a good place to get tires. My bike has the stock spoke wheels on it, should I use them with different tires or should I get new wheels as well. Thanks for all the help.
cv's generally have this type of round circular top

if you open it and find a diaphragm, you have cv's

Quote:
Another quick question. Is it better to buy some rear sets that come off a gsxr or something similar and modifying them to fit or is it better to spend the bread and get some the are bot on?
depends how much $$$ you want to spend. rearsets off other bikes can usually be swapped easily, by welding new mounting tabs onto your frame.
eatabullet is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived eatabullet!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-24-2012, 04:10 PM   #7
Handsome Matt
Just Here For The Party
Senior Fighterer
Handsome Matt's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 5
Flipped Off 12 Times in 7 Posts
Handsome Matt is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Handsome Matt is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Handsome Matt is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Handsome Matt is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Handsome Matt is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Handsome Matt is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Handsome Matt is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Handsome Matt is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Handsome Matt is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Handsome Matt is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Handsome Matt is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

Quote:
Is there a local motorcycle shop? That's a good place to start for tires. You could try different wheels, but you might be looking at machining spacers and such to get everything to fit.

Shocks depend on what you're looking to do with the bike. You could try using shocks from a different model motorcycle, or getting a different length of shock.

2015 Winter Build: Phoenix Ascending

2015 Winter Build Discussion: Phoenix Ascending

"But it would require a great moral effort; it would mean staring failure in the eye every day for years. And so to protect themselves people say "I can't."" - Paul Graham

"Assumption is truely the mother of all fuck ups." -Yantosh

"Criticism is easy to do, but rarely worth listening to, mostly because it's so easy to do." -Seth Godin
Handsome Matt is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Beginner Streetfighter Questions