cb750 with a cbr600rr motor - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Technical Section > Street Fighter Swaps > Engine Swaps

Engine Swaps Engine Swap Discussion goes here

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > cb750 with a cbr600rr motor

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-19-2015, 08:08 PM   #1
mrmauiwaowi
NoObie
Noobie
mrmauiwaowi's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 09:25 PM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
mrmauiwaowi is a NOOB
Default cb750 with a cbr600rr motor

Hey there guys i'm new but I've had this project cb750 for about a month and i was previously posting more on a cafe racer forum but since I've recently decided the original motor just isn't going to quench my thirst and i figured this project is officially falling more under the area of expertise that ill find here. Now the project itself...its an 82' cb750 and i'm putting an 06' R1 SE front and rear on the bike (the swingarm is going to end up being custom to avoid having the wheelbase of a bus) ill be fabing my own subframe and I've chopped a 75' cb750 tank to fit that i think looks pretty good. My main question is to anyone who has placed a modern sport bike power plant in an older bike or even an air-cooled bike... I owned an 03' cbr600rr and i loved the power curve and the fact that its a Honda doesn't hurt so I'm really leaning in that direction. I'm prepared to run pods and lose a little bit of power and obviously some frame fabricating will be in order... what nightmarish task might await me that I'm over looking... thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1813.jpg
Views:	586
Size:	504.4 KB
ID:	65050   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1812.jpg
Views:	406
Size:	495.9 KB
ID:	65058   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1806.jpg
Views:	425
Size:	507.4 KB
ID:	65066  
mrmauiwaowi is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived mrmauiwaowi!

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-20-2015, 12:36 AM   #2
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
shinyribs's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 10:25 PM
Flip Offs: 58
Flipped Off 117 Times in 104 Posts
shinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too much
Fighter of the Month 
Default Re: cb750 with a cbr600rr motor

Cool build man. Definitely subbed. Do you think that front end is going to give you the ground clearance you'll need?
shinyribs is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived shinyribs!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-20-2015, 01:35 AM   #3
RatFighter
UnicycleMode

RatFighter's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 190
Flipped Off 111 Times in 48 Posts
RatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympus
Fighter of the Month 

Quite a few have taken the task on. Kind of curious about the way you find solutions for this swap. I'll still say kawabusa is the direction that you should look for inspiration for induction solutions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zweihammer View Post
Looking at this Large Hadron Collider of a vehicle, I am starting to think the little bastard may have been on to something...
RatFighter is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived RatFighter!

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-20-2015, 12:01 PM   #4
mrmauiwaowi
NoObie
Noobie
mrmauiwaowi is a NOOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinyribs View Post
Cool build man. Definitely subbed. Do you think that front end is going to give you the ground clearance you'll need?
yeah it still has 5" as it sits...the pics make it look a bit lower, tricky shadows i guess
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-20-2015, 06:22 PM   #5
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
shinyribs's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 10:25 PM
Flip Offs: 58
Flipped Off 117 Times in 104 Posts
shinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too much
Fighter of the Month 

5" from the bottom of the frame tube? How far below that will your exhaust hang?

Sorry if I'm coming across as negative. I just ran in to these issues before. But I'm sure you know what your doing. , so I'm just gonna chill and enjoy the show.
shinyribs is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived shinyribs!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-20-2015, 08:16 PM   #6
jmartin1110
The Hell You Say!!

CF Pimp
jmartin1110's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 53
Flipped Off 12 Times in 9 Posts
jmartin1110 spends too much time on herejmartin1110 spends too much time on herejmartin1110 spends too much time on herejmartin1110 spends too much time on herejmartin1110 spends too much time on herejmartin1110 spends too much time on herejmartin1110 spends too much time on herejmartin1110 spends too much time on herejmartin1110 spends too much time on herejmartin1110 spends too much time on herejmartin1110 spends too much time on here

5" is pretty low...I would be shooting for at least 8-9'' before exhaust. Any normal 4-1 pipe and you are going to lose about 3''. Can you move your suspension set up a couple of inches??

Other than that I cant wait to see an update.

1981 Honda SS Build
KZ1000 Discussion Thread
KZ1000 Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJellyFingers View Post
u gonna look so sexy naked.... I would say no homo, but totally homo since that that sentence can't not be homo
jmartin1110 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-20-2015, 08:23 PM   #7
mrmauiwaowi
NoObie
Noobie
mrmauiwaowi is a NOOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinyribs View Post
5" from the bottom of the frame tube? How far below that will your exhaust hang?

Sorry if I'm coming across as negative. I just ran in to these issues before. But I'm sure you know what your doing. , so I'm just gonna chill and enjoy the show.
I haven't done the exact numbers but when i start chopping on the frame my plan of attack is to rebuild and reroute the top tubes to "cradle" the engine more and i intend to steepen the head angle to match the R1 a bit closer and give me closer to the desired trail...this should give me a bit more ground clearance and better handling and when you factor in the fact that I'm building my own swingarm to the required height i think it will be okay... if its not then it isn't like I'm not already chopping and cutting so ill just do what must be done... its definitely a valid concern. Just had a baby girl (uh oh) 1 1/2 weeks ago so for now its a slow project but it will definitely pick up speed soon enough. Waiting on a back ordered pipe bender and notcher at the moment and the fun will really begin!
This user High Fived mrmauiwaowi!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-20-2015, 08:33 PM   #8
mrmauiwaowi
NoObie
Noobie
mrmauiwaowi is a NOOB

...and by all means, please anyone feel free to point out these kinds of issues. I've built a couple resto mod cars/motors and I'm an experienced fabricator but this is more or less my dive into the motorcycle fab world. I've owned a couple but never taken on a project bike like this so don't hold back.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-20-2015, 09:20 PM   #9
Hillsy
CF Lover
Local Time: 12:25 PM
Flipped Off 9 Times in 5 Posts
Hillsy is a splendid one to beholdHillsy is a splendid one to beholdHillsy is a splendid one to beholdHillsy is a splendid one to beholdHillsy is a splendid one to beholdHillsy is a splendid one to beholdHillsy is a splendid one to beholdHillsy is a splendid one to beholdHillsy is a splendid one to beholdHillsy is a splendid one to beholdHillsy is a splendid one to behold

You can get a stepped top clamp to slide the forks down a bit (well, I know they make them for Busa fronts to fit to GSX14's).

Biggest problem you're going to find with putting a modern motor in that chassis is the intakes point to the sky and you've got a backbone frame in the way. Maybe a Z1000 motor or ZRX would be a better choice as the intake tracts are closer to horizontal.
Hillsy is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-20-2015, 09:41 PM   #10
jmartin1110
The Hell You Say!!

CF Pimp
jmartin1110's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 53
Flipped Off 12 Times in 9 Posts
jmartin1110 spends too much time on herejmartin1110 spends too much time on herejmartin1110 spends too much time on herejmartin1110 spends too much time on herejmartin1110 spends too much time on herejmartin1110 spends too much time on herejmartin1110 spends too much time on herejmartin1110 spends too much time on herejmartin1110 spends too much time on herejmartin1110 spends too much time on herejmartin1110 spends too much time on here

That's what I was thinking as well. A common swap for these bikes is the a B12 swap. A ZRX swap would be awesome!!

1981 Honda SS Build
KZ1000 Discussion Thread
KZ1000 Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJellyFingers View Post
u gonna look so sexy naked.... I would say no homo, but totally homo since that that sentence can't not be homo
jmartin1110 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Technical Section > Street Fighter Swaps > Engine Swaps