CB750 Muscle Bike Garage Built Noob - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > New Member Introductions (For Noobs!)

New Member Introductions (For Noobs!) Are you new here? Just want to say hi? This is a great place to introduce yourself or ask beginner questions.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > CB750 Muscle Bike Garage Built Noob

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-01-2020, 09:59 AM   #1
97JoshuaE
NoObie
Noobie
Local Time: 09:47 PM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
97JoshuaE is a name known to all97JoshuaE is a name known to all97JoshuaE is a name known to all97JoshuaE is a name known to all97JoshuaE is a name known to all97JoshuaE is a name known to all97JoshuaE is a name known to all97JoshuaE is a name known to all97JoshuaE is a name known to all97JoshuaE is a name known to all97JoshuaE is a name known to all
Cool CB750 Muscle Bike Garage Built Noob

Hey all, my name is Josh. I live in Central IL in the middle of nowhere with no resources other than what is in my garage.

This summer I picked up an 81 CB750 from my buddy that didn't want it anymore (he has another 81 750) for $400. A little carb work and it was up and running. Ugly as sin, but running. Click image for larger version

Name:	CB15.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	247.3 KB
ID:	107866

Once I got it home, I ditched the rusty old K tank. Bought an F tank and made custom mounts for it to ride the frame. The seats are obviously a n issue on these bikes, i ditched it all. Welded in a frame hoop. Then gave my best shot at making a fiberglass seat pan. This was my first experience ever using fiberglass or bondo. It turned out pretty well though. Sent everything off to be painted white with blue pearl by a good friend of mine. Click image for larger version

Name:	CB13.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	151.1 KB
ID:	107868 Click image for larger version

Name:	CB11.jpg
Size:	324.2 KB
ID:	107870

After paint it was a series of electrical tidying and replacing, Gasket replacements, tidying up the forks and bar area, and 4 into 1 exhaust. Click image for larger version

Name:	CB5.jpg
Size:	415.6 KB
ID:	107872 However, the forks sucked. I wasn't happy with the performance at all out of the suspension. So I bought a 91 GSXR750 Slingshot roller for $120 and dug into the bike once again.

Front end was fairly easy with some guidance from some friends on a Facebook group. Sliding out the existing bearings, pressing in new and bolting up to the CB and that was about the extent of that. The rear end became much more tricky. I wanted to keep the stock swingarm and the GSXR rear rim wouldn't work. So with advise from a friend Julian (He's on here, don't know his Username yet), I got a RF600 wheel and GS500 cush drive and it all lined up perfectly. Click image for larger version

Name:	CB1.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	363.3 KB
ID:	107874

Currently the tire is being installed. Once i get it back I will be mocking up the rear brakes, making mounts for the caliper. Then I'll be diving into trying to figure out how to run the GSXR rearsets on this bike for a much more comfortable and effective riding position. Comment with any input, Thanks!

P.S I think I attached pictures correctly but I could be wrong..
97JoshuaE is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-01-2020, 10:01 AM   #2
97JoshuaE
NoObie
Noobie
97JoshuaE is a name known to all97JoshuaE is a name known to all97JoshuaE is a name known to all97JoshuaE is a name known to all97JoshuaE is a name known to all97JoshuaE is a name known to all97JoshuaE is a name known to all97JoshuaE is a name known to all97JoshuaE is a name known to all97JoshuaE is a name known to all97JoshuaE is a name known to all
Default Re: CB750 Muscle Bike Garage Built Noob

& so far I've got less than $1,000 into it. Not bad in my opinion.
These people High Fived 97JoshuaE!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-01-2020, 11:59 AM   #3
MikeGyver
|||||||||||||||||||||||||
MikeGyver's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 07:47 PM
Flip Offs: 312
Flipped Off 173 Times in 149 Posts
MikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too much
Default Medal Fighter of the Month 

Looks great! Welcome aboard

'98 Ducati 916
'00 Ducati 996
'03 SV650(sold)

Skully Stickers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danbuc View Post
yell, "Built not bought mother fucker!" in there face and then spit on their bike and walk off.
MikeGyver is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-01-2020, 12:15 PM   #4
yantosh
yantosh's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 03:47 AM
Flip Offs: 14
Flipped Off 18 Times in 16 Posts
yantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on here
Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Winter Buildoff Winner Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month 

nice job
yantosh is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-01-2020, 01:15 PM   #5
make that thing forkless
forks and valves... WTF?
Senior Fighterer
make that thing forkless's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flipped Off 3 Times in 3 Posts
make that thing forkless is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!make that thing forkless is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!make that thing forkless is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!make that thing forkless is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!make that thing forkless is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!make that thing forkless is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!make that thing forkless is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!make that thing forkless is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!make that thing forkless is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!make that thing forkless is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!make that thing forkless is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month 

Hey Josh, Julian here. Welcome to CF Now you have my user name. Its kinda long, but as my name implies, I like bikes without forks.

Your CB750 looks amazing. I really like the bodywork... nice upgrade on the tank... and normally I don't like the bare, flat, maxi-pad looking seats, but you've added a nice trim of bodywork around it so it looks much more purposeful than I've seen on other bikes. Well done!

I really want to see how this turns out, so feel free to jump over to the Member Project Bike section and start a build thread. Cheers!
make that thing forkless is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived make that thing forkless!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-01-2020, 01:49 PM   #6
make that thing forkless
forks and valves... WTF?
Senior Fighterer
make that thing forkless's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flipped Off 3 Times in 3 Posts
make that thing forkless is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!make that thing forkless is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!make that thing forkless is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!make that thing forkless is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!make that thing forkless is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!make that thing forkless is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!make that thing forkless is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!make that thing forkless is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!make that thing forkless is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!make that thing forkless is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!make that thing forkless is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month 

Okay, one more comment / suggestion... I assume that at some point you'll want to upgrade the rear shocks to something better and more modern. So, PLEASE DO NOT get the cheap $80 Chinese shocks that are all over eBay. These are complete garbage. I cant tell you how many big bike shows I've been to and seen these crappy shocks on some very nice custom builds. They are cheap and look nice, but inside they are complete junk.

As an alternative (this is my secret) get a set of OEM Yamaha / Ohlins shocks from a late 90s era SRX snowmobile. I've seen these on eBay for $300-400 a set. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ohlins-Yama...cAAOSwDeReTZu~ Usually they need some cleaning and new paint on the springs, but inside is genuine Ohlins and they work! Because they are designed for sleds, they are much stiffer than what is normally used on a motorcycle, so you have to radically adjust the mounting location (effective geometry). So you need to fabricate new mounting locations on the frame (shock position more angled and moved forward), but with your welding experience that should be a walk in the park.

Keep us posted.

Here's what the Ohlins shocks look like on a bike...

[IMG]20190901_070048 by andbike, on Flickr[/IMG]
make that thing forkless is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived make that thing forkless!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-02-2020, 09:56 PM   #7
97JoshuaE
NoObie
Noobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by make that thing forkless View Post
Okay, one more comment / suggestion... I assume that at some point you'll want to upgrade the rear shocks to something better and more modern. So, PLEASE DO NOT get the cheap $80 Chinese shocks that are all over eBay. These are complete garbage. I cant tell you how many big bike shows I've been to and seen these crappy shocks on some very nice custom builds. They are cheap and look nice, but inside they are complete junk.

As an alternative (this is my secret) get a set of OEM Yamaha / Ohlins shocks from a late 90s era SRX snowmobile. I've seen these on eBay for $300-400 a set. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ohlins-Yama...cAAOSwDeReTZu~ Usually they need some cleaning and new paint on the springs, but inside is genuine Ohlins and they work! Because they are designed for sleds, they are much stiffer than what is normally used on a motorcycle, so you have to radically adjust the mounting location (effective geometry). So you need to fabricate new mounting locations on the frame (shock position more angled and moved forward), but with your welding experience that should be a walk in the park.

Keep us posted.

Here's what the Ohlins shocks look like on a bike...

[IMG]20190901_070048 by andbike, on Flickr[/IMG]
Those Ohlins do sound like a good alternative. I'll run stocks before you ever see me throw RFY's or whatever on this bike haha!
These people High Fived 97JoshuaE!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-17-2020, 04:56 PM   #8
ROBBO
MAJOR FOOKIN' CATASTROPHY
ROBBO's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 10:47 PM
Flip Offs: 643
Flipped Off 1,366 Times in 753 Posts
ROBBO plays with their repper too muchROBBO plays with their repper too muchROBBO plays with their repper too muchROBBO plays with their repper too muchROBBO plays with their repper too muchROBBO plays with their repper too muchROBBO plays with their repper too muchROBBO plays with their repper too muchROBBO plays with their repper too muchROBBO plays with their repper too muchROBBO plays with their repper too much
Fighter of the Month Default Medal Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Supporter of the Streetfighter Build for Charity 

Quote:
Originally Posted by make that thing forkless View Post

So freaking true,they shoudnt be allowed to sell the crap.

Welcom in great work .

...ALL FOR ONE AND ONE FOR ALL...
ROBBO' 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoker View Post

Fucking reaper better fear me.
ROBBO is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > New Member Introductions (For Noobs!)