CBR900RR, SC28, front shock seal problem - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Technical Section > Brakes and Suspension

Brakes and Suspension Anything to do with fabricating and modifying brakes and suspension goes in here.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > CBR900RR, SC28, front shock seal problem

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-01-2020, 04:25 PM   #1
superhessu
NoObie
Noobie
Local Time: 07:21 PM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
superhessu is a NOOB
Default CBR900RR, SC28, front shock seal problem

first message to this forum, but anyways... Hi!

I ran into some trouble replacing oil seals on my '92 CBR900RR front shocks. One of them was leaking oil from between the dust seal and the shocks, and now that I disassembled it I think I know why: by the looks of it, the previous owner(s) seems to have tried to pry the seal out by hammering a flat head screw driver in between the seal and the fork tube, or something similar... I replaced the seal anyway in hopes that it would solve the problem, which it didn't.
In my haste I forgot to take a picture of the situation, but imagine aluminum hammered with something sharp and you'll get the point.

So now I'm looking at buying new forks, or repairing the old ones. This brings me to my question: have any one of you guys tried to fill in the scratches on the sealing surfaces with some kind of substance, say, bondo or something? Or am I better off just buying "new" used shocks from ebay?
superhessu is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-01-2020, 05:21 PM   #2
Casper
The friendly Ghost.
Casper's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 05:21 PM
Flip Offs: 190
Flipped Off 34 Times in 28 Posts
Casper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympus
Fighter of the Month 
Default Re: CBR900RR, SC28, front shock seal problem

Hi

I know not of a successful repair technique on a polished sealing surface with something easy to do at home. I would be tempted to say getting a set of forks would be beneficial.

2011 Suzuki DRZ400S, 2006 Suzuki SV650N, 1994 Yamaha XJ600S and 1979 Suzuki GS750LN
Can't leave them alone...

Time to find a nice VStrom 1000 to round me up to 5...
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-02-2020, 06:03 AM   #3
superhessu
NoObie
Noobie
superhessu is a NOOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
Hi

I know not of a successful repair technique on a polished sealing surface with something easy to do at home. I would be tempted to say getting a set of forks would be beneficial.
yea that's what I'm thinking also, but figured I might as well ask if someone has attempted to do something to fix that kind of a thing. Thanks for the reply anyways.

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-03-2020, 02:24 AM   #4
a_morti
GURU

CF Addict
Local Time: 02:21 AM
Flip Offs: 24
Flipped Off 24 Times in 14 Posts
a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

I have something called stud and bearing fit which is a kind of thread lock glue that takes up a *small* amount of extra space in lightly worn bearing housings. Might be worth a go?

Aaron, living in Gibraltar and riding a 2014 MSX125 (Grom) with a bunch of shiny shite on it. Slow n loud!
a_morti is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-03-2020, 04:09 AM   #5
superhessu
NoObie
Noobie
superhessu is a NOOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_morti View Post
I have something called stud and bearing fit which is a kind of thread lock glue that takes up a *small* amount of extra space in lightly worn bearing housings. Might be worth a go?
Thanks for the suggestion, didn't realize there's this kind of a product going around too!

However, I doubt that it'll solve the issue since the pits I have are like 1½ mm deep in some points, with a width of 2 mm and the length is all the way along the sealing surface (about 10 mm or so?). Problem is that if I wanted to try that glue now, I'd have to go for a new pair of seals and oil again, so I'd need a little more confidence towards the glue actually working in my case... just wouldn't want to spend any more money to a fix that might have around, say, 50% success rate maybe?
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-03-2020, 12:18 PM   #6
Mattson
Stressed Member
Mattson's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 03:21 AM
Flip Offs: 25
Flipped Off 34 Times in 22 Posts
Mattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympus
Fighter of the Month 

Yikes that's a proper gash. Probs weld and lathe the only good solution and if you go that route might as well get a pair of used pumps.

Nice nick btw, Finn I presume? Where from?

Yamaha XJR 1300 `99
Ex:Bashan BS200-S7 '07 Street Quad
Ex: Benelli Tornado 900 '06
Ex:Triumph Daytona 955i DSSA '02
Ex:Honda CBR 600 F2 '91
Mattson is online now   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-03-2020, 03:17 PM   #7
superhessu
NoObie
Noobie
superhessu is a NOOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattson View Post
Yikes that's a proper gash. Probs weld and lathe the only good solution and if you go that route might as well get a pair of used pumps.

Nice nick btw, Finn I presume? Where from?
(Un)fortunately I don't have anything to weld with atm, and missing a lathe too so not too many options left...

Finnish yes, from Joensuu. Surprised me a little to see another one on this forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-03-2020, 09:47 PM   #8
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
shinyribs's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 08:21 PM
Flip Offs: 58
Flipped Off 117 Times in 104 Posts
shinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too much
Fighter of the Month 

The gouges are in the aluminum. So the chrome stanchions are ok, just the fork outer body that holds the seal is damaged? Is this correct?

If that is the case then you can fix that with good quality epoxy and some careful filing or sanding.

If the gouges are in the stanchions there are fixes for that, too, but it sounds like your trouble is with the area the seal sits in vs the area the seal rides against.
shinyribs is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-04-2020, 12:46 AM   #9
Casper
The friendly Ghost.
Casper's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 05:21 PM
Flip Offs: 190
Flipped Off 34 Times in 28 Posts
Casper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympus
Fighter of the Month 

That's a good point.

2011 Suzuki DRZ400S, 2006 Suzuki SV650N, 1994 Yamaha XJ600S and 1979 Suzuki GS750LN
Can't leave them alone...

Time to find a nice VStrom 1000 to round me up to 5...
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-04-2020, 04:33 AM   #10
superhessu
NoObie
Noobie
superhessu is a NOOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinyribs View Post
The gouges are in the aluminum. So the chrome stanchions are ok, just the fork outer body that holds the seal is damaged? Is this correct?

If that is the case then you can fix that with good quality epoxy and some careful filing or sanding.

If the gouges are in the stanchions there are fixes for that, too, but it sounds like your trouble is with the area the seal sits in vs the area the seal rides against.
Both of the chrome slider tubes are actually in surprisingly good condition, there's no issue with them. The problem is, like you said, with the area in which the seal sits in.

Based on this answer, I think I'm going to give it a go one more time and try an epoxy fill. And I'll try and remember to take photos this time around I'm thinking maybe putting in the old seals to act as some kind of a mold for the epoxy to sit against, just need to figure out some release agent so that I don't accidentally glue them in there. Or remove them before the epoxy sets completely.

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Technical Section > Brakes and Suspension