Kawasaki KZ 1100 shaft to chain conversion - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Technical Section > Making Power

Making Power Anything to do with fabricating and modifying engines, carbs, ignition, etc. goes in here.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Kawasaki KZ 1100 shaft to chain conversion

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-08-2012, 04:15 PM   #1
Kawa-Arnold
NoObie
Noobie
Kawa-Arnold's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 01:45 PM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
Kawa-Arnold is a glorious beacon of lightKawa-Arnold is a glorious beacon of lightKawa-Arnold is a glorious beacon of lightKawa-Arnold is a glorious beacon of lightKawa-Arnold is a glorious beacon of lightKawa-Arnold is a glorious beacon of lightKawa-Arnold is a glorious beacon of lightKawa-Arnold is a glorious beacon of lightKawa-Arnold is a glorious beacon of lightKawa-Arnold is a glorious beacon of lightKawa-Arnold is a glorious beacon of light
Default Kawasaki KZ 1100 shaft to chain conversion

Hi,
I will dedicate this therad to Mustapha dump (Bill) who helped me through a shaft to chain conversion on my Kawasaki KZ 1100 ST -82

This is Billīs own words:

"Converting the shaftdrive motors to chaindrive is a very simple operation, just swap out the outputshaft for a chaindrive one, and fit the sprocket backplate in place of the bevelbox, and move the gearshift claw mechanism into the second hole and change the spring pin position over to the adjacent threaded hole, job done. Takes a lazy afternoon on the spanners to sort it out. "

Enginge before conversion:

Parts that you need: (Here from a GPZ 1000 -82)

Split the case:

Remove the gear shift axel: (spread the claw and just pull it out)

Unscrew the spring pin:

Attached Images

Kawa-Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-08-2012, 04:24 PM   #2
Kawa-Arnold
NoObie
Noobie
Kawa-Arnold is a glorious beacon of lightKawa-Arnold is a glorious beacon of lightKawa-Arnold is a glorious beacon of lightKawa-Arnold is a glorious beacon of lightKawa-Arnold is a glorious beacon of lightKawa-Arnold is a glorious beacon of lightKawa-Arnold is a glorious beacon of lightKawa-Arnold is a glorious beacon of lightKawa-Arnold is a glorious beacon of lightKawa-Arnold is a glorious beacon of lightKawa-Arnold is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Kawasaki KZ 1100 shaft to chain conversion

Part 2:

Insert the spring pin into the threaded hole below:

Insert the gear shift axel into the lower hole:

Put in the "chain" output shaft:

Put in the clutch basket axel:

Fit the "chain" backplate:

Attached Images

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-08-2012, 04:32 PM   #3
Kawa-Arnold
NoObie
Noobie

Part 3:

Fit the sprocket:

Fit the clutch pin: (might need to adjust the length of it)

Fit the sprocket cover:

Try all gears by rotating the cluch basket to high revs with compressed air, this will make 2-5th gear to slip in.

Would never have done it without you Bill !
Attached Images

These people High Fived Kawa-Arnold!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-08-2012, 04:39 PM   #4
yantosh
yantosh's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 14
Flipped Off 18 Times in 16 Posts
yantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on here
Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Winter Buildoff Winner Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month 

cheers mate, i got one to do too
yantosh is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-08-2012, 04:42 PM   #5
ultimate fighter
Remi's Dad
ultimate fighter's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 08:45 AM
Flip Offs: 1,427
Flipped Off 875 Times in 399 Posts
ultimate fighter sits atop olympusultimate fighter sits atop olympusultimate fighter sits atop olympusultimate fighter sits atop olympusultimate fighter sits atop olympusultimate fighter sits atop olympusultimate fighter sits atop olympusultimate fighter sits atop olympusultimate fighter sits atop olympusultimate fighter sits atop olympusultimate fighter sits atop olympus
Supporter of the Streetfighter Build for Charity 

Very cool. I would do this but the shaftie over here is a little shy.

gotta look hard to find one.

UF's 2017 winter buildoff MOE POWA
talk about my junk
Quote:
Originally Posted by yantosh View Post
CB is cool as fuck , proper old skool kick your cunt in for looking at it funny
ultimate fighter is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived ultimate fighter!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-08-2012, 04:53 PM   #6
Kawa-Arnold
NoObie
Noobie

Thanx guys, finally we got this conversion with pics.
Hope it will help for those that wanna give it a try.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-08-2012, 05:17 PM   #7
Mustapha dump
GURU

CF Addict
Local Time: 12:45 PM
Flipped Off 42 Times in 21 Posts
Mustapha dump is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Mustapha dump is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Mustapha dump is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Mustapha dump is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Mustapha dump is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Mustapha dump is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Mustapha dump is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Mustapha dump is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Mustapha dump is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Mustapha dump is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Mustapha dump is a wicked helpful, well liked member!

I also notice that the alternator rotor you have fitted is the original one with the dodgy magnets that have a nasty habit of falling off.
If your later engine uses the same rotor as the Z1000J/GPZ1100 then get yerslf the rotor from any of these, EN454, EX500, KLE500, ER5, as these have a much better magnet design and are a direct swap for the original one.
You can also use the stator from the old Z750 twin, but you need to remove the original starter clutch and machine the lip off the back of the rotor, before fitting the original starter clutch using the shim from the 750 and the shim from the original. The 750 twin starter clutch spins the other way, I found out many years ago after fitting it and wondering why the starter was spinning but the motor was doing diddly squit.

Some people are deserving candidates for postnatal abortion, the majority of the remainder are just idiots
Mustapha dump is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-08-2012, 06:02 PM   #8
Kawa-Arnold
NoObie
Noobie

Ha..ha...I will just let the conversion sink in for a while before doing new mods.
Let me get back to you on that one...goood night UK !
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-08-2012, 06:14 PM   #9
yantosh
yantosh's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 14
Flipped Off 18 Times in 16 Posts
yantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on here
Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Winter Buildoff Winner Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month 

if anyone hears of another output shaft like that one gimmie a yell, got the plate already
yantosh is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-08-2012, 06:41 PM   #10
Mustapha dump
GURU

CF Addict
Local Time: 12:45 PM
Flipped Off 42 Times in 21 Posts
Mustapha dump is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Mustapha dump is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Mustapha dump is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Mustapha dump is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Mustapha dump is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Mustapha dump is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Mustapha dump is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Mustapha dump is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Mustapha dump is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Mustapha dump is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Mustapha dump is a wicked helpful, well liked member!

I think you need the early series shaft Yan rather than the J/GPZ shaft for the 1100 shaft conversions. If indeed it is the later one you need I have 2 here, one from a Unitrak and one from a B1. I just don't have any early ones at the moment, but I will ask around again and see if anything turns up. in fact Noel whom I built the 1260cc motor may have one knocking around I'll check with hmi and let you know.

Some people are deserving candidates for postnatal abortion, the majority of the remainder are just idiots
Mustapha dump is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Technical Section > Making Power