Buying welder have some questions - Page 4 - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Technical Section > Heavy Metal

Heavy Metal Anything to do with welding, bending and fabricating things from metal goes in here.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Buying welder have some questions

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 07-26-2018, 04:15 AM   #31
titan
hooligan quads

CF Addict
titan's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 10:19 PM
Flip Offs: 3
Flipped Off 14 Times in 2 Posts
titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Fighter of the Month 
Default Re: Buying welder have some questions

Oh and need to get my dedicated plug socket installed too lol

ride it like you stole it

Customization not Restoration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Einstein
I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.
H Designs

2020 build off - build - chat
titan is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 07-26-2018, 01:43 PM   #32
mcantar
Fuck it, let's do it live

CF Pimp
mcantar's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 08:19 PM
Flip Offs: 45
Flipped Off 21 Times in 20 Posts
mcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympus
Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEBSPEED View Post
I would add 1/8" tungsten and matching gas lens to the list, if you want to weld thicker aluminum (case covers, frames, arms, subs, etc) material it makes life a lot easier.

I'm probably missing out on something, but most of my welding is aluminum and all I've ever used is a #7 cup and gas lens. I also have no official education in welding, just my work training and answers to questions I've sought out over the years.
I left out the 1/8" as I don't think his welder will really do anything big enough to need it. 3/32 is plenty for a frame or swinger or whatever, usually.
Also, no gas lenses for alum. Use a collet body. The steel mesh in the gas lenses does funky things with the AC current and can negatively influence the integrity of the weld.

The #7 is a lifesaver for me. There's a few parts I do at work with really tight internal corners and there's no way I'd be able to do it with anything bigger. I've gone down to a #5 with like 3/8" stickout on the tungsten on some of them.

Hypermotard 1100S the weight-shavening.
Bandit 1200 cafe/fighter that will never get finished at this rate.
Turbo Busa v2 2017 Buildoff.
Turbo Busa V1.2 2016 Buildoff.
Turbo Busa v1.1
919 Hornet build'n'flip, lotsa electrical diagnostic info in there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poopie View Post
Everything should be turbo'd, and what the fuck is a budget?
mcantar is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived mcantar!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 07-26-2018, 01:47 PM   #33
mcantar

CF Pimp
mcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympus

Quote:
Originally Posted by titan View Post
is it worth grabbing a kit like this to get me going and just buy the seperate tungstens you recomended ??

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TK14-TIG-...T/152552873020
One thing I want to mention right off the bat is you need to make sure it'll fit your torch. There are a couple styles of torch out there and I don't recall from your link what comes with your machine. 20 series is the most common, which isn't what that ebay link fits.

Past that, I like those kits for convenience but they're usually Chinese crap. Which is ok, but not great. It also has a lot of stuff you'll probably never use and that particular one seems to be a bit overpriced. Again, it's all Chinese crap, the stuff in the $80 kit comes out of the same factory as the stuff in the $30 kit.

Also, it comes with Ceriated tungsten, which I'm really not a fan of. I like 1.5% Lanthanated for DC and 2% Lanthanated for AC, but either one of those will do both AC and DC which is why I only listed one of them on that list.

Turbo Busa v1.1
Quote:
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 07-26-2018, 01:50 PM   #34
mcantar

CF Pimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEBSPEED View Post
Arc-zone is deff a good vendor, I've also had good luck with chinesium purchased from seller weldingcity on ebay, they have a website too. I've used their cups and lenses and collets with good results, and I love having $9 torch bodies on hand so I don't feel bad about smoking a good one welding heavy aluminum. I'm in the process of upgrading to water cooling so hopefully won't need them anymore.

Something that hasn't been touched on is grinding your tungsten. CK worldwide has a nice guide on their site with a lot of basic tig tips incl tungsten shaping, check it out. I chuck my tungsten in my cordless drill and run it in reverse against a fine grit belt(100 grit or finer) on one of my belt sanders. Tip shape will vary depending on material, joint, and thickness. What works best for you will come with experience, or be drummed into you by an instructor.
Yeah, grinding is something that can make a bigger difference in your weld than you'd expect and can be fucked up pretty easily.
Make sure you grind longitudally, i.e. from the point back, rather than around the taper. You want the lines going front to back, and you generally want the length of the taper to be around 1.5-2x the diameter of the tungsten.

Turbo Busa v1.1
Quote:
These people High Fived mcantar!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 07-26-2018, 03:49 PM   #35
titan
hooligan quads

CF Addict
titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Fighter of the Month 

So much information thanks so much. well hurdle No1 actually getting the welder is done

It came with

Nozles 5,6,7
Collect 16, 20, 24

The torch has WP 24 on it if that is an indication of what max size tungsten it will take I have no idea and it doesn't seem to state it anywhere.

My mate checked my electrics out and is ordering the parts to do that for me. I need to find a gas regulator now and see what else I need.

He got me the MMA lead, foot pedal and a new mask ( I already had one but and extra is always good).

Quote:
I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.
H Designs

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 07-26-2018, 04:11 PM   #36
mcantar

CF Pimp

So that's a 24 series torch. You'll want consumables listed specifically for 24 and 8 series torches. The 20 series stuff as well as the ones you found on eBay won't fit.

As for tungsten size, 1/8" is pretty much the largest you'll find in common practice but 5/32", 3/16", and 1/4" do exist. I don't think there's a limitation on what your torch would fit.
Either way, your machine says it'll put out a max of 200amps at 35% duty cycle. A 3/32" (2.4mm) lanthanated tungsten is rated for somewhere around 250A. Maybe if you were welding at 200+ amps all day on a machine that could put that out at an 80% or better duty cycle you'd consider going up to 1/8" electrode, but you aren't. Your machine simply can't do the things that would make it necessary, which is probably why the largest collet it came with is the 2.4mm.

Turbo Busa v1.1
Quote:
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 07-26-2018, 04:30 PM   #37
titan
hooligan quads

CF Addict
Fighter of the Month 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcantar View Post
So that's a 24 series torch. You'll want consumables listed specifically for 24 and 8 series torches. The 20 series stuff as well as the ones you found on eBay won't fit.

As for tungsten size, 1/8" is pretty much the largest you'll find in common practice but 5/32", 3/16", and 1/4" do exist. I don't think there's a limitation on what your torch would fit.
Either way, your machine says it'll put out a max of 200amps at 35% duty cycle. A 3/32" (2.4mm) lanthanated tungsten is rated for somewhere around 250A. Maybe if you were welding at 200+ amps all day on a machine that could put that out at an 80% or better duty cycle you'd consider going up to 1/8" electrode, but you aren't. Your machine simply can't do the things that would make it necessary, which is probably why the largest collet it came with is the 2.4mm.
Correction the torch say WP 26 not 24 so that's 26 series (17, 18 also) should have put my glasses on hahaha

Quote:
H Designs

This user High Fived titan!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 07-26-2018, 05:39 PM   #38
titan
hooligan quads

CF Addict
Fighter of the Month 

i just filled two pages in a note book off all the infomation you guyz have given me.

what i love about CF, bullshit bants one miniute cold face no BS solid advice the next.

thanks guys again

more question will follow soon

Quote:
H Designs

This user High Fived titan!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 07-26-2018, 06:21 PM   #39
SEBSPEED
V4's FTW
SEBSPEED's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 53
Flipped Off 57 Times in 47 Posts
SEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on here
Fighter of the Month Winter Buildoff Winner Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month 

Quote:
Originally Posted by titan View Post
Correction the torch say WP 26 not 24 so that's 26 series (17, 18 also) should have put my glasses on hahaha
My PT225 came with a 17 torch, it's a collet body torch, I was able to swap the torch body out off the hose for a 9 with gas lens. Slightly lower amperage rating on that torch, but I didn't mind the trade off for less weight & gas lens as I said before I just bought cheap torch bodies and swapped them out when they got smoked, not too often. Just when running AL for a while.

Nothing for you to worry about yet, get running w this one and as you make more welding friends you can try out other systems, see what you like for your needs.

Find me on Facebook at Sebspeed Customs

Float like a Goldwing, sting like a gixxer

2015 FOTY VFR750

2016 threads
Turbo 7/11

750 Slingshot
Discussion thread

2017 thread
VFR800 Build
SEBSPEED is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived SEBSPEED!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 07-26-2018, 06:52 PM   #40
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
shinyribs's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 58
Flipped Off 117 Times in 104 Posts
shinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too much
Fighter of the Month 

@mcantar can you elaborate on the gas lens causing issues on aluminum? Honest curiosity, not a set up!
shinyribs is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Technical Section > Heavy Metal