The new project - TLS w/SSSA - Page 11 - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes

Member Project Bikes Project progress threads of members streetfighters.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > The new project - TLS w/SSSA

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 07-09-2011, 09:51 PM   #101
SonniDaze
|||||||||||||||||||||||||
Noobie
SonniDaze's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 11:27 AM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
SonniDaze is well likedSonniDaze is well likedSonniDaze is well likedSonniDaze is well likedSonniDaze is well likedSonniDaze is well liked
Default Re: The new project - TLS w/SSSA

Waiting patiently to see how this tail turns out. Great job so far.

WHAT?! (o.O),,|,
SonniDaze is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 07-09-2011, 10:18 PM   #102
ROBBO
MAJOR FOOKIN' CATASTROPHY
ROBBO's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 12:27 PM
Flip Offs: 643
Flipped Off 1,366 Times in 753 Posts
ROBBO plays with their repper too muchROBBO plays with their repper too muchROBBO plays with their repper too muchROBBO plays with their repper too muchROBBO plays with their repper too muchROBBO plays with their repper too muchROBBO plays with their repper too muchROBBO plays with their repper too muchROBBO plays with their repper too muchROBBO plays with their repper too muchROBBO plays with their repper too much
Fighter of the Month Default Medal Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Supporter of the Streetfighter Build for Charity 

X2 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

this real good stuff!

...ALL FOR ONE AND ONE FOR ALL...
ROBBO' 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoker View Post

Fucking reaper better fear me.
ROBBO is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 07-17-2011, 02:57 AM   #103
alatus
Slow Ass Mutherfucker

Fighterer
alatus's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 10:27 AM
Flipped Off 2 Times in 1 Post
alatus is a name known to allalatus is a name known to allalatus is a name known to allalatus is a name known to allalatus is a name known to allalatus is a name known to allalatus is a name known to allalatus is a name known to allalatus is a name known to allalatus is a name known to allalatus is a name known to all

Update time. As I suspected, there were a couple of problems with the subframe, as built, and the attempt to form foam around it to shape a tail.

Problem 1: I wanted the RC 51 tail shape without a) the RC 51 tail width (at its fattest part) and b) the RC 51 tail length (which was too long). I simply could not see a way to make a fiberglass mold of the stock tail and not run into the SAME problems as I did with the GSXR tail.

Problem 2: I suck at sculpting.

Problem 3: I fucking hate big messes.

So the first attempt ended up with this:

There was a bit of a gap in the foam (I ran out right at the end and it didn't expand the the degree I expected. My materials were little dated, so that might have had something to do with it (does 2-part foam HAVE a shelf life?)

I tried to fill in with Great Foam. HUGE mistake. COMPLETELY different characteristics in density and porosity.

The other issue was it looked like a cafe tail. I have nothing against cafe tails... on cafe builds. Which this wasn't. So my fault, shitty design.

Which led me to do a second pour all over again, this time allowing for a deeper tail below the seat. I boxed in the cavity with cardboard and went to town. And ended up with this:

Now, I got good coverage on this one. After two hours of sanding, looking at it, sanding, looking at it... I was covered in foam particles. Every surface of every object in the garage was covered in foam particles. When...

....I fucking flipped. Can't really describe it. I was standing there sweating my fucking balls off, slamming another Lagunitas and knowing I had another two to three hours ahead of me...when I fucking lost it. It was one of those moments when patience and expectancy crash through zero and the monkey at the back of the brain takes over...

... I tore that one apart too. And disassembled the subframe and 'made it go away'.

So.

Not sure where to go at this point, but the tail is a major issue. I have finally shit-canned the idea of the RC-inspired rear end. I have already ordered another tail (race glass) that I very much like. It has the correct width and length that I want, and it removes the use of any but a fabricated seat unit - which frees me up from having to figure that into the design.

I didn't get it to start with, because I figured I'd 'save some money' and do it myself (PLus this is a learning activity for me).

Lesson learned: when the voices are telling you to 'DO THAT' listen to them the first time. Now I have to listen to a smug chorus of 'I told you so'...

I suspect it will look something like this...

Cheers,

J

Hanlan's Razor - Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity...
alatus is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived alatus!

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 07-17-2011, 03:52 PM   #104
95kawizx6r
MOTIVATED AGAIN!!!
CF Addict
95kawizx6r's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 20
Flipped Off 15 Times in 11 Posts
95kawizx6r has a brilliant future95kawizx6r has a brilliant future95kawizx6r has a brilliant future95kawizx6r has a brilliant future95kawizx6r has a brilliant future95kawizx6r has a brilliant future95kawizx6r has a brilliant future95kawizx6r has a brilliant future95kawizx6r has a brilliant future95kawizx6r has a brilliant future95kawizx6r has a brilliant future

What tail is that???? I've seen it a few times and I absolutely love it. I think it has great lines and matches damn near any bike you put it on. Great choice, glad you fucked the other one up lol. Blessing in disguise lol.

my first fighter! (95-zx6r)
http://www.customfighters.com/forums...703#post847703

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motohorho View Post
Yes it's heavier to use, but if user don't have strength to pull clutch, can he hold on bars when boost kicks in
95kawizx6r is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 07-17-2011, 11:58 PM   #105
alatus
Slow Ass Mutherfucker

Fighterer
alatus is a name known to allalatus is a name known to allalatus is a name known to allalatus is a name known to allalatus is a name known to allalatus is a name known to allalatus is a name known to allalatus is a name known to allalatus is a name known to allalatus is a name known to allalatus is a name known to all

New tail is a Hotbodies Honda RS 125 seat.

Hanlan's Razor - Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity...
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 07-18-2011, 12:03 AM   #106
95kawizx6r
MOTIVATED AGAIN!!!
CF Addict
95kawizx6r has a brilliant future95kawizx6r has a brilliant future95kawizx6r has a brilliant future95kawizx6r has a brilliant future95kawizx6r has a brilliant future95kawizx6r has a brilliant future95kawizx6r has a brilliant future95kawizx6r has a brilliant future95kawizx6r has a brilliant future95kawizx6r has a brilliant future95kawizx6r has a brilliant future

I think it will look perfect with your build.

Quote:
Yes it's heavier to use, but if user don't have strength to pull clutch, can he hold on bars when boost kicks in
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 07-20-2011, 03:21 AM   #107
alatus
Slow Ass Mutherfucker

Fighterer

Thanks! I am pretty sure this tail will do the trick this time.

So, had to get the 1st anniversary trip to Sausalito out of the way, and scratch a few things off the 'honey-do' list:

Two yards of rock to finish off the back yard perimeter:

And then had to put up the new shed:

(Not crying about this, because it cleared a ton of garden crap out of the garage!)

And THEN, I finally got to work a bit on the bike. There were some frame mounts that were not gonna be used:

Rear reservoir mount GONE:

Right rearset mount GONE:

Left rearset mount GONE:

Since I am not gonna need the stock exhaust, I removed that as well. I am going to have to remove the two stock exhaust mounts, most likely. If I can use them, I will, but I am trying not to get tied down to that.

After taking the mounts off, I got to looking at all the casting marks on various parts... I think I am going to have a looong day with the sander and a few parts. It looks too nice not to try and clean up whatever I can.

That's all I got for now.

Peace

Edit: Almost forgot. I may be picking up an over-bored GSXR 1100 with Mikuni flat-sides on Saturday (7/23) - FOR FREE. Not sure what the bodywork is like - but... who cares! I am waiting to get it home before I decide what to do with it. I'd like to do a Lucky Strike race replica... but we'll see.

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 07-20-2011, 03:34 AM   #108
TlRumbler
the duce that got away
Senior Fighterer
TlRumbler's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 01:27 PM
Flip Offs: 10
Flipped Off 5 Times in 4 Posts
TlRumbler is a glorious beacon of lightTlRumbler is a glorious beacon of lightTlRumbler is a glorious beacon of lightTlRumbler is a glorious beacon of lightTlRumbler is a glorious beacon of lightTlRumbler is a glorious beacon of lightTlRumbler is a glorious beacon of lightTlRumbler is a glorious beacon of light

you lucky bastardd, wanna make 50 bucks? ill buy the gsxr from u!!
TlRumbler is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 07-20-2011, 10:14 AM   #109
95kawizx6r
MOTIVATED AGAIN!!!
CF Addict

Lol damned vultures lol. Nice score bro, put some pics up when you get her home!

Quote:
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-05-2013, 02:55 AM   #110
alatus
Slow Ass Mutherfucker

Fighterer

I still think there should be an award for the slowest build.

Been a looong time since I left off on this project. But back on it again now that both kiddos are are settling in. Nothing, and I mean NOTHING, delays projects/screws with time tables like having kids.

So. The tail section. I decided to DW on the rear end a bit.

First, I ripped out the Duc shock.

Why? Cuz I got an R1 shock with less than 300 miles on it for $35. Might be fun, so:

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes