project 1.5 - Page 3 - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > CF Streetfighter Forum Contests > Streetfighter Buildoff > Past Streetfighter Buildoffs > 2013 Streetfighter Buildoff > 2013 Buildoff Entry Threads

2013 Buildoff Entry Threads All 2013 Buildoff Entry Threads Must Be Posted In Here

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > project 1.5

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-29-2012, 02:19 AM   #21
jerryatrophy
we are 138
jerryatrophy's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 08:59 AM
Flip Offs: 79
Flipped Off 26 Times in 19 Posts
jerryatrophy spends too much time on herejerryatrophy spends too much time on herejerryatrophy spends too much time on herejerryatrophy spends too much time on herejerryatrophy spends too much time on herejerryatrophy spends too much time on herejerryatrophy spends too much time on herejerryatrophy spends too much time on herejerryatrophy spends too much time on herejerryatrophy spends too much time on herejerryatrophy spends too much time on here

Got my forks in today. Packing peanut arsehole.
Forks look good straight no rash. Slight cosmetic flaws. One of the seals is bad so ill go ahead and replace em both before i out em in the trees.
Thinking about internally lowering them 1". Suspension isnt my thing so im flying blind here. Like with everything else im doing.

I bought some tokico calioers for the fork swap a while back. Recently read that the ninja upgrade the tokicos to 07-08 nissins.
So more money needs to be spent. Can someone talk me out of spending another $150 on "better" calipers?
jerryatrophy is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived jerryatrophy!

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-29-2012, 02:20 AM   #22
jerryatrophy
we are 138
jerryatrophy spends too much time on herejerryatrophy spends too much time on herejerryatrophy spends too much time on herejerryatrophy spends too much time on herejerryatrophy spends too much time on herejerryatrophy spends too much time on herejerryatrophy spends too much time on herejerryatrophy spends too much time on herejerryatrophy spends too much time on herejerryatrophy spends too much time on herejerryatrophy spends too much time on here

jerryatrophy is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived jerryatrophy!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-29-2012, 05:28 AM   #23
jerryatrophy
we are 138

I feel like im spending way too much money.

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-30-2012, 02:22 AM   #24
jerryatrophy
we are 138

Ok gentlemen. Another babystep update.
Ordered my fork seals and pod filters last night. So the forks are getting fixed soon. Still debating lowering them internally. Measurments need to be taken.
Ive decided to stick with the tokico calipers that i already have, and upgrade down the road if i feel there is room for improvment. Still need to source longer ss brakelines and wheel spacers from a 600.
Decided to stay with the stock z1000 front wheel for keeping the cost down for now. Ill worry about matching the wheels when i start thinking about paint.
I ordered some 320mm rotors from a '02 zzr1200 bolton. No offset. And some 70mm caliper bolts from an r1.

Going to pull the throttle bodies and physically remove the flies and install the pods after getting that bigass airbox out of there.
:ck187:

I ran all my errands before i got home so once i did i could immediately go to work. 9:45am changed my shirt and shoes
Grabbed my mechanix gloves and some coffee and dw.

Checked the zx10 stock axle to the swinger. Will work perfectly.
Have to machine spacers for the axle od difference for the swingarm adjuster slots and the 6r caliper hanger. The caliper to rotor clearance looked good with no contact with the od of the rotor, might have a problem when the axle is centered in the adjuster slot. Will have to machine stepped adjuster plates to accomodate the new axle dia. And steps to keep it from spinning.
Ill add about 1-2mm thickness on each plate to get the castlenut to lineup perfectly with the pin hole in the axle.

I started with the zx10 wheel spacers since they had the right id.
And believe it or not, they are pretty damn close to working with the smaller zx6 swinger. Had to remove about 2mm from the throttle side spacer and it all bolted in great.

Im still going to machine custom spacers because the rubber to swingarm clearance on the tire is offset towards the brake side about 2mm. Im going to center it in the arm perfectly so i will be able to run a 190 rear.

All my chainrun adjustment will be made completely with swingarm spacers.

I took a few pics to show the details. Not spectacular but im freakin excited to get over this small hurdle.

Pics.

I should have gotten a couple to show the rubber to swingarm clearance.

This is the first time ive ever done a project like this and it is so much fun working thru problems one at a time.

While i was working on the rear, fedex showed up with my used header.

The header i wanted was an 02 which doesnt kick out to clear the lower shock mount. The one i got was an 01 which did kick out.
The pic shows the run from the collector towards the shock mount.
If u remember, i am going to move the shockmount a good bit to the other side so i wanted a straight run from the collector towards the swingarm and in turn, up to run an undertail exhaust.

Looks like i will end up modifying this header also. My welder is going to hate me. The stock metal is thin and tedious to weld without blowing thru.

Thats it for today.

Thanks for reading.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-01-2012, 01:44 AM   #25
jerryatrophy
we are 138

I feel the need for another babystep update. I realize that i update my buildoff thread more than anyone else, even though im not really doing any more than anyone else. Oh well. Sue me, i like to document everything for the future generations.

Dropped another $14 on a axle tool 22mm. I dont normally go cheap on tools but i need it now, and the motionpro was double.
Also ordered a front axle nut for 7$. Went to mockup the front end this morning and realized i was missing something.

So this morning i had the goal of getting everything i need to machine on paper and engineered out so i can machine everything the same day. That was the plan.

Adjuster slot spacers, caliper hanger spacers, and axle endplates.

And before anyone says anything. Im american, i dream in standard and convert to metric when necessary. Thankyou.

Ive got it all about 95% figured. I have plenty of steel bar. Need to use al but im inpatient. I should probably just slow down and get some 6061 .....
Gata source some material for the plates also.

Then i started to try to set the sprocket alignment. Everything looks really good.

$5 piece of al trim from lowes. Pretty straight.

A couple pics of the pivot gaps.

And rubber to swinger clearance

I need to get the tire centered up better so i can run a 190. Its not far off, but it could be better.

So i went to start measuring for pivot spacers and, ding....lightbulb, i cant set the sprocket alignment because the axle wasnt square to the frame or swingarm. I have to finalize the wheel mount with all correct spacers before i can set the alignment and measure for pivot spacers. I like doing things once if i can. So i shut it down for the day.

While i was working my 320mm rotors showed up. It seems stuff always gets delivered when im bent over under the bike or laying on my ground, and my crack is almost always exposed. Anyways.

Hopefully i can get to the machineshop on saturday and get some of this stuff knocked out. Dw!

Thanks for reading.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-03-2012, 02:10 AM   #26
jerryatrophy
we are 138

Didnt make it to the machineship saturday.
But i did manage to get the front wheel off so i could check the fit on the rotors i got.

Stock z1000 left. Zzr1200 right.

Overlap

Gata look for someone to try to resurface the rotors. And possibly machine em to look wavy. My guy doesnt have an indexing table in his garage shop though. Dunno.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-07-2012, 02:29 AM   #27
jerryatrophy
we are 138

No progress has been made this week. I desperately need to get out to the shop and churn out the two spacers i need to solid mount the wheel. Theres a jobshop thats like literally 5 minutes down the bike trail.

I want a job there. Closer to home. More creativity.
Might have them machine a few things for me, just to get my foot in the door.

Oh, and that tattoo artist hasnt gotten back with me since we first talked. At this point, anything this month is too short of notice.
So i have to resist the urge to buy things this week and get xmas crap out of the way. And buy more stuff on the 21st.
Calipers, brake lines, wheel spacers, new pads. Are on the short list.
Still have to replace fork seals. I need to internally lower the forks about an inch to clear the bars since the ninja forjs are longer than the stock z forks.

Can i do this, confidently, without having them set up for sag and rider weight and what not? Im not looking to swap springs cause i dont need a race setup. Or should i do it all-right the first time?
This user High Fived jerryatrophy!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-17-2012, 01:27 AM   #28
jerryatrophy
we are 138
Default Re: project 1.5

Just for the record. 431 stainless is a pain in the ass to machine. But the fact that it puts up such a good fight during the machining process makes me rest easy knowing that its going to be holding the swingarm to the frame.

Ok i figured it drop a small little morsel of an update. The swingarm pivot bolt chucked up and turning.

Set it up to finish between centers so the threads and shaft are concentric. Faceplate with a dogleg.

I like doing things right. Got the big end threaded. Again stainless sucks. Gata get back over there sometime this week to finish the minor od and thread the other end. Took like 5 hours to rough and set up the faceplate. Swapping gearing for a 1.5 pitch and figuring out how to set the 29.5 degree on tye carriage that lacked a degree scale on the side. But it all worked out. So far so good.
Also had to grind the threading cutter.

Im debating on drilling it thru to save weight.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-09-2013, 03:18 AM   #29
jerryatrophy
we are 138
Default Re: project 1.5

Ok so after nearly a month without updates and no saturday work im updating my build to say that i have made zero progress. I seriously underestimated the effect of the cold weather under a carport has on my d'ing of w. I have sourced everything i need to do the fork seals tools and material wise. But the stock forks are about 30mm shorter than the 636 forks. I should have gone with gixxer forks and a zx10 bottom triple. Anyways too late now. So i only have about 40mm from the top of the triple to the bottom of the bars. So to run the 636 forks at stock height ill have to nearly run em touching the bars. So id like to lower them internally.

I just keep digging this hole. Went to the local bikeshop to ask em about it and the tech cut me off right quick and said "we dont do that, never have, never will". Dont really know whats up with that. The guy told me to call racetech. Blah. I dont care about racing or swapping springs or any of that. Dont need gold valves or whatever. So im slacking on making time for machining and slacking on doing the forks.

Its hard to stay motivated when all you have after bills is gas money for two weeks. Im not complaining cause i bought almost everything i need already.

Anyways, i havent thrown in the towel yet. But im definitely putting the cam swap on the backburner. The throttlebody swap is also up in the air at this point.

Thanks for reading.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-11-2013, 02:06 PM   #30
jerryatrophy
we are 138

Got the gimp workin and got a pretty good idea how i want it to look after all is said and done. Minus paint scheme.

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > CF Streetfighter Forum Contests > Streetfighter Buildoff > Past Streetfighter Buildoffs > 2013 Streetfighter Buildoff > 2013 Buildoff Entry Threads