Built not bought is bullshit - Page 5 - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > General Streetfighter Discussion

General Streetfighter Discussion Discussions about streetfighter riding.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Built not bought is bullshit

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-03-2015, 09:36 AM   #41
Fate
GURU of da poo poo
Local Time: 02:11 AM
Flip Offs: 138
Flipped Off 106 Times in 61 Posts
Fate is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fate is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fate is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fate is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fate is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fate is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fate is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fate is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fate is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fate is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fate is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Fighter of the Month Supporter of the Streetfighter Build for Charity 
Default Re: Built not bought is bullshit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danbuc View Post
No need to read the article. The argument itself is what's bullshit. Seems anyone who's turned a wrench on a bike thinks this is the hot topic to talk about if you want to hang with the cool kids.

If it were the narration to a video there'd be nothing but Chuck Taylors, handlebar mustaches and people randomly grinding shit out of focus. That's cool now right?

Two of my three bikes are both all completely 'bolt on' modified because other people did it better and made stuff I liked and allowed me to 'put together' a unique ride. Just because you can afford to buy parts from others doesn't mean the bike will turn out nice. You can bolt a bunch of stuff on and still in end up with an ugly pile of shit. There still needs to be some vision and creative element for sure.

Somehow the phrase got twisted into shaming the little guy who can't afford to build or simply doesn't have the skills. Last I checked nobody seemed to give a fuck before that article was written.

...and I'm spent. Fuckin hipsters...
Thanks for making my point.

Why do so many people embrace mediocrity instead of seeking excellence?
Fate is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-03-2015, 01:04 PM   #42
Danbuc
"Fuck yo couch" -Socrates
CF Lover
Danbuc's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 03:11 AM
Flip Offs: 10
Flipped Off 15 Times in 13 Posts
Danbuc is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Danbuc is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Danbuc is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Danbuc is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Danbuc is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Danbuc is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Danbuc is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Danbuc is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Danbuc is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Danbuc is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Danbuc is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

Clearly you have misinterpreted the meaning of my posts lol.

Here's a quote from the article...

"By making this the mantra of the day, we alienate two critical groups of people. The first is the builders, and the second is their would-be patrons. The problem with “built not bought” lies in the implied shame of anything “bought.” If I bought my bike instead of building it myself, it’s somehow less, no matter how unique or remarkable it happens to be. Somehow that motorcycle is not valid or “legit” unless I turned every nut and bolt with my own two hands. In that light, “built not bought” is a much deeper, much uglier sentiment than say “stock bikes suck.” Of course, this also has its caveats. The new Indian Scout comes to mind."

Built not Bought is a term to be used in the first person. Plain and Simple. It is a saying for those who wish to express their pride for what they themselves have built. This is the originally intended purpose of the saying. It was never meant as a derogatory comment towards the less skilled, or more affluent. If someone is offended by it then they should get off their ass and build some shit and stop being a bitch.

It is this fact which the author of the article misses that is the problem. It's not like the lot of us walk around bike meets going up to random people who purchased custom built bikes or have a few bolt on piece and yell, "Built not bought mother fucker!" in there face and then spit on their bike and walk off. I'm pretty sure that has never fucking happened.....ever.

So writing an article about a problem that doesn't actually exist just to make people feel better about the bikes you build to drum up business is a bogus sham. A week economy and general lack of interest is what's hurting the industry. Not shame.

Ride'em like ya stole'em
Danbuc is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived Danbuc!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-03-2015, 01:31 PM   #43
MikeGyver
|||||||||||||||||||||||||
MikeGyver's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 12:11 AM
Flip Offs: 309
Flipped Off 170 Times in 147 Posts
MikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too much
Default Medal Fighter of the Month 

Quote:
"Built not bought mother fucker!" in there face
Although that would be hilarious to watch.

I agree with you that the Built not Bought saying is a first person statement that people who are proud of their own creation should be able to say without somebody getting butthurt. If you don't like the saying then you need to look within.

'98 Ducati 916
'00 Ducati 996
'03 SV650(sold)

Skully Stickers

Quote:
yell, "Built not bought mother fucker!" in there face and then spit on their bike and walk off.
MikeGyver is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived MikeGyver!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-03-2015, 03:34 PM   #44
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
shinyribs's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 58
Flipped Off 117 Times in 104 Posts
shinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too much
Fighter of the Month 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yantosh View Post
I took the article to be a backlash against the elitism which puts people down for buying a bike , I'm cool with people buying stuff. if I had the cash I'd go out and buy a fully built 1968 SS Camaro in flat black with a big motor and all the trimmings, and wouldn't feel one iota of shame over bought not built
Get a '67. Vent windows are sexy..
shinyribs is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived shinyribs!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-04-2015, 12:33 PM   #45
Candyman
Perpetual Project

CF Pimp
Candyman's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 1
Flipped Off 2 Times in 2 Posts
Candyman is a name known to allCandyman is a name known to allCandyman is a name known to allCandyman is a name known to allCandyman is a name known to allCandyman is a name known to allCandyman is a name known to allCandyman is a name known to allCandyman is a name known to allCandyman is a name known to allCandyman is a name known to all
Fighter of the Month Supporter of the Streetfighter Build for Charity 

Its a moto I've been living by building bikes for the past decade, to be honest I never even heard it used before it popped into my head years ago and its been my sig ever since. I had no idea it had turned into what some would call a "poser phrase". Anybody wants to give me flack about it, they can see my work and judge for themselves. Meanwhile, I'll keep finding happiness building what I want because I enjoy creating, more than simply obtaining.

Built Not Bought

Let these hands sit not idle.
<SOLD<SOLD
Candyman is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived Candyman!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-05-2015, 05:12 PM   #46
Koreanbaz
Noobie
Local Time: 08:11 AM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
Koreanbaz is a NOOB

Its a very difficult scene to have a one off bike that somebody doesn't copy if its a good idea.

My current Zeds not dead build is using part from different bikes but in a way that it looks like it was bought that way, its not radical, its thought inducing. But it was copied off other similar bikes, but hopefully done better than those before.
Koreanbaz is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-05-2015, 05:41 PM   #47
Tony Nitrous
Fighter
Tony Nitrous's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tony Nitrous is a name known to allTony Nitrous is a name known to allTony Nitrous is a name known to allTony Nitrous is a name known to allTony Nitrous is a name known to allTony Nitrous is a name known to allTony Nitrous is a name known to allTony Nitrous is a name known to allTony Nitrous is a name known to allTony Nitrous is a name known to allTony Nitrous is a name known to all

I'd rather have a Bandit 1200 with a loud can and Renthals like a 1000 others than some super trick original idea'd bike that won shows and turned heads but didn't work well due to its poor design.

What killed Streetfighters glory days for me was the "must be original" train of thought.
Folk turned up their noses at anything that was popular or common.

Instead of tough useable bikes that really had some fight in them,
we ended up with shows and magazines with gay show ponys that couldn't fight their
way out of a paper bag.

To me a bike has to be good at something, if your modding it, it needs to be better at something.
The drags, wheelies, cornering, top speed, stunting, anything.
Sat outside a coffee shop looking pretty doesnt count. That's just an ornament.

I don't mind built or bought, but it needs to work well
Rather have a boring stock bike than get my arse kicked riding a modded one that doesn't cut it.
Tony Nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived Tony Nitrous!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-05-2015, 09:39 PM   #48
RatFighter
UnicycleMode

RatFighter's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 190
Flipped Off 111 Times in 48 Posts
RatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympus
Fighter of the Month 

^^Good point.

No offense to the runners up behind WBRW when it was in the FOTM a few times, but seriously, I was second to bikes that looked like they had never seen a mile of asphalt on 1 wheel, and in front of bikes that looked rather pieced together. Mine was not only utilitarian in every way but it was as original as it gets being that not only the swinger was one that you never see on a 900RR (1st gen frame), but it also had a multitude of things done to it that made it powerful, reliable, and overall clean. It was about getting a job done, but it seemed due to a stock tail, the entire build was looked at as unfinished.

Same happened with Zed too. Seems people vote for the pretty one rather than the bike I would call a true streetfighter... but we don't define that around here although FOTM makes it pretty damn clear that the factory appearing creations are the "right way" to do things and bikes you could actually hot lap a track with are just half arsed shit compared. The road dildo transformation is complete I guess. Even stating built not bought brings up a crucial debate around here now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zweihammer View Post
Looking at this Large Hadron Collider of a vehicle, I am starting to think the little bastard may have been on to something...
RatFighter is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived RatFighter!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-06-2015, 06:37 AM   #49
DrJellyFingers
i cant fart
DrJellyFingers's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 46
Flipped Off 67 Times in 49 Posts
DrJellyFingers sits atop olympusDrJellyFingers sits atop olympusDrJellyFingers sits atop olympusDrJellyFingers sits atop olympusDrJellyFingers sits atop olympusDrJellyFingers sits atop olympusDrJellyFingers sits atop olympusDrJellyFingers sits atop olympusDrJellyFingers sits atop olympusDrJellyFingers sits atop olympusDrJellyFingers sits atop olympus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RatFighter View Post
Seems people vote for the pretty one rather than the bike I would call a true streetfighter... Even stating built not bought brings up a crucial debate around here now.
So what exactly is a streetfighter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoker View Post
Well, I'm not gonna live forever.

At least I can still build and ride bikes.

And my dick is still as hard as ever!!

...Just saying.

Clicky

2015 Build-off "Fart Muffin"

"Fart Muffin" Confabulate
DrJellyFingers is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived DrJellyFingers!
The Following 3 Users Say F-U to DrJellyFingers For This Post:
Cookie2000ad (04-06-2015), MikeGyver (04-06-2015), ultimate fighter (04-06-2015)
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-06-2015, 06:52 AM   #50
4cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJellyFingers View Post
So what exactly is a streetfighter?
Depends on if you are thinking of the original meaning from when the phrase was coined in BSH way back or if you mean what its become ?
  Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived !

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > General Streetfighter Discussion