Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

Only the brave controls the Bandit!

125K views 736 replies 76 participants last post by  RatFighter 
#1 ·
Most of you know I had a 1st generation Bandit 1200, a 1997 year, "S" model, it was pretty beat up when I got it, but the commanding howl of the induction system, the rasp of the Yoshimura full system, and the feel of that monster engine coming to life under me was surreal every time I put a leg over that bike... but there was always the pull to find a turbo system for it!!

A matter of weeks before the riding season was to finish up and I would begin the process of putting together a Mr. Turbo style draw through system for the hunt to find those outrageous power numbers (pretty much doubling the engine output!) that a boosted B12 is so known for in the first place, I crashed the bike. Much to my dismay it was a total loss and most were amazed I was even alive. :nuts:

It wasn't anything like your usual crash. I wrote that bike off in one down. Even the engine had damage beyond repair and I was through with riding for the season at that point. But the love for the bike was still so strong, I was still so attatched.

Fast forward almost 5 years, alot has happened, and alot has gone very wrong in life, but I still have had that silent pull toward another Bandit. That hollow, thousand yard stare in my eyes when I was deep in thought about one, I really couldn't live a life that I considered fulfilled and well worth it without a turbo Bandit 1200 as "my bike" some day, some way...

Last night a fellow CF member dropped off my new '98 Bandit 1200... hunting for a Mr. Turbo kit as I type this. :D

Toc just couldn't leave the factory optioned seat alone...

PO pulled the clutch cover but never replaced the gasket so it leaks a little. I was joking it was just marking its new territory. I would feel threatened as well if I was that thing. A YZ400F and a CBR900RR mere feet away from it, I would be asserting my dominance as well. :D

Yup, that is a correct reading of mileage, under 10k on the clock. :D

^^
EVERYONE I know that has seen this pic says they haven't seen me smile like this for alot of years. I say there hasn't been much to smile about. But this bike, this makes the fight worth it, it makes the work and all the tragedy and loss weigh out even in the end. As insane as that sounds, this bike is my salvation, it is what will keep me from madness. I feel like I've been climbing a mountain through my life and when I get to the summit there will be a clearer and brighter day. Somehow... a turbocharged Bandit 1200 is the top of that proverbial mountain.

The original gangster, should have been a turbo bike...

18 hours before my crash...

Example pics of a turbo Bandit. Happens to also be a pic I took, of a fellow CF members bike, at an annual moto get-together back in 2007. The bike has since undergone a bunch of modification and adjustment, but this state of tune was always my favorite for a turbocharged Bandit.

Not only do I get a B12, but I also get to finish the CBR900RR build while I am working on this thing. Plus I am still balls deep in my supermoto project and Toc still has the CBR250R tracker and the KZ1300 six cylinder. Plus the many, many other projects and bikes between us, I think life is finally cutting me a little slack and allowing me to enjoy the things I do have right at my finger tips.

Remember kids,
"Only the brave controls the Bandit!"

See less See more
#501 ·
Awesome to see you getting so close. I want to go mwff to see this bike in action. How long you think it'll take me to get there from sc?

#503 ·
Fuel pressure set at 2.5psi at idle, gonna work my way back through the install of the fuel system this afternoon and see about getting the exhaust welded up some time this weekend. Maybe (fingers crossed) I'll have it fired up and a chain on it before the end of next week, meaning I'll get to take it for a test ride.

#507 ·
I was well aware jetting would be off a little to begin with, it was the fuel pressure issue that had me loosing my mind. ;)

Buttoned up the whole fuel system, went over every nut, bolt, clamp, fitting, and line with a microscope eye to make sure it was all as intended, wired in a (6A peak limit) toggle switch and mounted it in the fairing on the left side so as to remind myself that it is there, also added a warning light that I will wire in later on so I don't inadvertently leave the pump on after a ride, and so when I take it in for some dyno runs the operator will be aware of the fuel pump being on when the light is on. Triple fail safe. :)

Started it up.... my oh my, it runs so much better without a fuel restricted pitot tube. :D

Once it was warmed up, I gave it a few revs and got the turbo spinning and then gave it everything it had, the turbo overcoming the intake velocity creating some forced air in the charge pipe, the engine took off like crazy, letting out of the throttle there was a faint, but very distinct flutter of intake air pressure stacking against turbine impeller blades. :D

Woof! This thing nearly blew everything off the wall of the shop with the exhaust dismounted and just a turbo housing dumping spent fuel and air. Fucking fuck, that is the first time I've ever actually heard a blow through turbocharged street bike in person! WTF! :D

Was a cunt hair from just cutting my losses and searching for a liter bike to fill the 120mph wheelie void... seems I might just keep the supermoto afterall...

#505 ·
Sweet we had faith in you rat good job can't wait to hear it.

#510 ·
God damn I want to see/hear/RIDE this fucking bandit the way you talk about

#515 ·
I've been learning lately just how desirable my builds are, much appreciated that you feel that way about the mighty Bandit. I'm pretty sure it's gonna be as stunning as it sounds too. Not alot in this world stirs that primal urge to grunt like an animal, and that's the only sound I could muster when I shut it off after the first fire where it actually functioned correctly.

Look at that, all that pissing and moaning and threatening to sell it and 2 weeks later its up and running lol. Good job, just takes some patience eh.
It takes simple factual based knowledge from someone experienced. Could have been done right the first time, but nobody mentioned the issue with the FPR. Like I said before, this could have been avoided completely with just a little hint as to what the baseline specs of the fuel system needed to be set at. I was misinformed and it nearly cost me the whole build. I've not got the time to chase down simple shit that should have been clear from the start. Now I know though.

okay, now im really pissed im missing mwff...
Not a big deal, the turbo bike is still far from finished and there is always next year. ;)

Awesome news dude. So glad you got this thing sorted out.

PIIIIIIICS!!!!!!

About to head to the northern shop to take care of the exhaust. I'll post pics this evening after all the welding is done. :D

Good work fella .Glad you kept at it and got it up and running.Sure your going to have a blast with it...

I'm pretty stoked it's nearing completion myself. Still gotta get a proper fitting welded up for the oil drain line as it weeps a little oil since I didn't have a drill bit 8 miles in diameter to tap a proper hole for the drain fitting, but once that is sorted it's gonna be pretty reliable as a rider. At this point I'll just put a catch tray under the engine for the dyno runs to keep it from making a mess of the shop I take it to.

As for having a blast... that, I'm still concerned about. I may love it, I may hate it, who knows. It's always been very hit and miss with me and big power bikes. I love the '06/'07 GSXR1000 to death, but I hate the '06/'07 R1. Love a '05 CBR600RR, but won't touch a F4i. Can't live without a 400 single, but I hate 250's at this point. I'm an odd one when it comes to how a bike feels.

Please take into account, that this is my first B12 since I wadded one up at 130mph back in 2008. I haven't ridden a Bandit since that day, and my first ride on one is going to be making double the power output. I might love it, I might hate it. Only time will tell.

#517 ·
If you end up hating it I think I know someone who will take it for free

#519 ·
Fucking runs. Gotta string a chain on it some time next week and take it for a ride and see how it feels. Probably like a complete fucking animal. Jesus fucking fucker fuck, what a lunatic sound this thing has!

Oh yeah, the pipe is done now too. :shocker:

Nothing fancy, all the warmup outta the way and a little smokey from the oil that got spilled on the header, collector, and flange during all the messing about. Still a bit left to do, but it spins the turbo. :D

Still not sure how to embed this shit!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9MHm39-_7E

#520 ·
FUCK YEA!!!!!!!!!! Can't wait to see the first ride go pro video

#526 ·
I'll fire it up again when it is a more reasonable hour and there isn't people walking in clear sight of the thing. I think I nearly gave some guy a heart attack a half a block away, he didn't seem happy when he was coming by after I rev'd it. :D

Thing you don't hear from the exhaust side is the massive flutter when the throttle was shut after the thing dropped the after fire. The sound is pure sex, sure is a crying shame there is an enforced national speed limit on the highways or I would be slowing down just to spool up that turbo again and again. :)

#527 ·
You can make out a wee bit of flutter. The flames. Jesus.

Honestly I didn't think much of turbo bikes. Since bikes are already such arm ripping machines. But that stock bodyworked bandit spitting flames and scaring old men...so sick. I think I need to make it up to wisco this fall or next season for sure to check out your nutter garage.

Nate

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#531 ·
That is nuts , almost sounds like my old wrx if it had a little deeper exhaust note and revved a little slower , but turbo whine :) . What cooling are you going to run ? May I suggest some heat shielding for your turbo as that thing will start glowing visibly red hot.

Amazing bike well done

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.