Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

Delete this thread

53K views 524 replies 35 participants last post by  TURNIP 
#1 · (Edited)
#296 ·
Re: Turnip's Vegan Powered ZX6R Evo

Soooo more Real Life bullshit is popping up to delay me further on this, looking like definitely not going to get to ride shit until next year. Was digging around the foundation of the house out back, got some spots in the old coal cellar where water comes in during heavy rain - figured I'd dig down, patch the stuff up or possible pour a some epoxy cement type stuff along the whole wall to fix that - found that the 'foundation' is actually just cement blocks sitting on dirt. Like, three courses or so deep into the ground, but just on dirt. Not gravel, not crushed stone, not mostly sitting on bedrock, dirt. Like, they just dug a trench, put cinderblocks in the bottom, and build a fucking house on it.

I've been discovering that as bad as your bike's PO is, house POs are vastly fucking worse, even more so when they BELIEVE that they know what they're doing. Fuck. Between this and the fact that the entirety of the wiring in the basement is like daisy-chained fucking extension cords patched with speaker wire and shit I'm surprised this place stayed standing long enough for my future wife to decide to buy the awful old pile.

#297 ·

Soooo more Real Life bullshit is popping up to delay me further on this, looking like definitely not going to get to ride shit until next year. Was digging around the foundation of the house out back, got some spots in the old coal cellar where water comes in during heavy rain - figured I'd dig down, patch the stuff up or possible pour a some epoxy cement type stuff along the whole wall to fix that - found that the 'foundation' is actually just cement blocks sitting on dirt. Like, three courses or so deep into the ground, but just on dirt. Not gravel, not crushed stone, not mostly sitting on bedrock, dirt. Like, they just dug a trench, put cinderblocks in the bottom, and build a fucking house on it.

I've been discovering that as bad as your bike's PO is, house POs are vastly fucking worse, even more so when they BELIEVE that they know what they're doing. Fuck. Between this and the fact that the entirety of the wiring in the basement is like daisy-chained fucking extension cords patched with speaker wire and shit I'm surprised this place stayed standing long enough for my future wife to decide to buy the awful old pile.

You need help ?

#298 ·

Nope, I really appreciate the offer but it wasn't as bad as it looked at first. There's still some stuff to fix but there is more of a footing than I thought - one of the things to fix is what looks like a hole someone just jackhammered through the foundation to run conduit and pipe through - dunno why they felt they needed like a 2' diameter hole for that. But it doesn't look like the house is going to fall down. :rasta:

#300 ·

Fucking foundation sorted. Mostly. I still need to fill in an old coal chute opening/badly fitted basement window of epic shittiness, but that'll wait.

Been puttering here and there, farting around in Blender and poking through bits in the shop. Progress soon, I think.

Slowly gathering parts for the 900F, maybe I'll get to it over the winter. Snagged a GS1100E tank in nice shape for like $110 shipped, but the dude hasn't dropped it in the mail yet / haven't heard from him so hopefully he's not gonna be the welching type. Cuz if he is this'll be me

#308 ·

i found a local guy who just needs files, and he prints shit out for you :) i experimented with 3d printed brake lever lately. turned out good
Send me the file and I can 3D print it out of aluminum :thumbsup:

#311 ·

Is that knuck missing a finger so you don't lose the ability to flip people off between punches?

Also, I think the solution for the fender is to redesign the fork guards. I like the powdercoated SS mesh ones okay but I'm not like, married to them or anything. I'll make something better that comes around the inside of each fork a little deeper and comes up closer to the fender, I'm thinking skeletonized triangles between the fender and the guard/uprights

#312 ·

Is that knuck missing a finger so you don't lose the ability to flip people off between punches?
:shockerknucks: :shocker:

#315 ·

Why do you keep scrapping tails?

Got an image in your head but can't quite replicate it?

I like the look of this one a lot.
Thanks dude, it's the iteration I'm most pleased with so far too.

I've had this weird block around designing a transition from the rear part of the tail to the seat surround for, like, years. Feels like part of my brain is missing when I wrestle with it. Weird shit. I think I've got it licked now, though.

#318 ·

I moved the bike about seven feet today, on the rear stand. And I draped a jacket over the gas tank, so that's progress.

Cleared away a bunch of junk, organized shit in the shop, cleaned a bit, blapped up some more of the missing insulation and rigged for icey running - stove is moved back in, did a quick test burn with some scrap 2x4s to make sure all was well and I was boiling even with the bay door up in 40-degree weather. Happy days

Also made a sincere attempt at knocking the CB900 over and dinging my GS tank in the process but fortunately I'm at least medium-strong still and was able to herniate myself I mean save the bike

#321 ·

"It looks kind of like a dunce cap," my buddy Alex says, when I showed him some photos. "Yeah... fuck you, but yeah. Dammit."

Bit mo'bettah.

Mmm.

Yeah, it's all cocked on there, and it's also sitting a good inch or two higher than it will when it's done, but fuck yeah, I'm so much more pleased with this version that I probably won't crush it and throw it in the trash in a couple days.

You can really see how much higher/off angle it's sitting than intended in this one. I gotta work that lower edge angle a little - either add another piece towards the rear to 'step' the angle a little more, or shallow out the big angle a tad bit. Just a little too chunky. I think I took this photo before smoothing/rounding some edges so it looks pretty rough.

#325 ·

Thanks Shiny, ADM.

Didn't get any decent pics yesterday but made some progress - ish.

Took the thing partway back apart yet again, ditched the lower side pieces and started on the seat surround area-lot of finicky half-degree angle adjustments there to get the tail piece to mate up with it squarely without throwing the overall angle off all to hell. I'm getting really good at zipping nice straight lines through foam on the bandsaw, every-which-a-way.

Looking to me like I'm settling in on something between #1 and #2 in this render, numbered from left to right.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.