Mickís Bandit 1200 - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes

Member Project Bikes Project progress threads of members streetfighters.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Mickís Bandit 1200

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-12-2020, 07:40 AM   #1
Mick
NoObie
Noobie
Local Time: 07:19 AM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mick is a NOOB
Default Mickís Bandit 1200

Hey everyone, Iíve had this bandit 1200 for a few years now, another wife ago Iíd sold my R1 and picked up a dirt bike, I found myself without much time to ride so decided I needed to get my riding fix by commuting to work and back.
Anyway, I was on a tight budget and found a guy selling a bandit, I almost overlooked it as an old mans bike until the guy asked if I wanted a test ride, a little heavier than i was used to I pulled up at the traffic lights, green light and I eased out the clutch and rolled on the power I was greeted with a smooth power wheelie (ok, Iíll take it!!)

I commuted on it for years in all weather, eventually I moved close to work, took it off the road etc, it wasnít worth enough to sell so it sat in my shed.

Recently Iíve had the urge and time to ride again, started looking at different bikes and figured Iíve got the workshop space and gear to make it what I want, I donít have much to lose.

Anyway, sorry for the long winded story, Iíll put in some photos and a few words!
Mick is online now   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived Mick!

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-12-2020, 07:58 AM   #2
Mick
NoObie
Noobie
Mick is a NOOB
Default Re: Mickís Bandit 1200

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-12-2020, 08:19 AM   #3
Mick
NoObie
Noobie
Mick is a NOOB

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-12-2020, 08:21 AM   #4
Mick
NoObie
Noobie
Mick is a NOOB

All stock in the above photo, about to start pulling it apart

Couple of bourbons here

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-12-2020, 08:35 AM   #5
Mick
NoObie
Noobie
Mick is a NOOB

The first cut took a little courage, oh well, done now...

Monster 821 seat, I know itís been done before, but I do like the lines.

Unlike most who do this Iím using the monster subframe, tail light and undertray, itís all pretty tidy, obviously some challenges to make it all work.

New crossmember for top subframe mount.

Top mounts, crossmember all made and tacked, subframe is slightly offset at the top due to it mounting to the head of a v-twin originally.

Trying to get a good angle, itís on the centerstand here, no bottom mounts at this point.

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-12-2020, 08:48 AM   #6
Mick
NoObie
Noobie
Mick is a NOOB

Angle sorted, bottom mounts made, notched into the frame and tacked

K&N filters due to no room for airbox, and a short pipe as the original mounted to the passenger peg, and was huge, there wonít be any such thing on this...

Chopped off the original rear tank mount and welded on a new one, I used the Suzuki rubbers to rubber mount it, the made a stainless bracket to pick up the front of the seat.

I had a 94 gsxr shock with remote reservoir, I donít want the remote anymore, would prefer a piggyback, after checking the shock charts I picked up a cbr600rr shock, and promptly found out that the reservoir is too far offset and will foul my new frame mounts...
Next I picked up a k6 gsxr 750 shock, it came with a linkage and swingarm, hmmmm..

Looks pretty cool, plenty of mods required to fit it.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-12-2020, 08:59 AM   #7
Mick
NoObie
Noobie
Mick is a NOOB

Iím thinking Iíll strip off the powder coat at this stage, probably run gsxr wheels, trim 12mm from the frame pivot mounts to fit the wider pivot, make a new bottom linkage mount and sleeve the bandit 20mm pivot to 22mm.

The frame is now bare so just taking measurements and calculating.
I donít yet have a gsxr wheel but am thinking that the shock mount centrelines on both the frame and the swingarm should be in line with both the front and rear wheel centred and the steering head, if so then I need to remove a fairly even amount from each side of the frame (or swingarm) and space the countershaft sprocket out by 4mm which may be doable with a small spacer and a slight grind of the inside of the nut (thereís about 3mm of thread showing)
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-12-2020, 02:11 PM   #8
Smoker
BLACK BELT

Smoker's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 04:19 AM
Flip Offs: 34
Flipped Off 13 Times in 12 Posts
Smoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on here

Looks like you've been busy.

Some nice work going on.
Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived Smoker!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-12-2020, 02:14 PM   #9
yantosh

yantosh's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 12:19 PM
Flip Offs: 14
Flipped Off 18 Times in 16 Posts
yantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on here
Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Winter Buildoff Winner Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month 

nice subbie mounts
yantosh is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived yantosh!

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes